Extra Life site knocked out by hackers

Saturday, 2nd November 2013 20:43 GMT By Phil Owen

The Extra Life video game streaming marathons for charity began this morning, but a few hours ago the event’s main site went offline. The event’s director Jeromy Adams has now said on the Extra Life facebook page that the downtime occurred because the site was DDoSed.

We’ve discovered that the Extra Life website experienced a DDoS attack against our datacenter. I am not sure what kind of person would DDoS a charitable initiative.

I am so sorry that you are going through this frustration today. Our entire team is purely heartbroken that someone would do this. But it has happened.

As frustrating as this is for everyone involved, it pales in comparison to what the kids we’re trying to save go through. That reality, for me personally, is about the only thing keeping me somewhat calm right now.

I am very angry and very sorry. You deserve better than this. The kids deserve better than this.

The main Extra Life stream can be viewed at Twitch.

1. Deltaman42

it’s the billy no mates hackers again…..

#1 1 year ago
  2. TheBlackHole

What the fuck is wrong with three people.

Asshats.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Tormenter

Charities, especially children’s charities, are BIG business. Follow the money.

Who is this charity in competition with?

Wouldn’t be the first time a ‘charity’, or someone seeking to set up a ‘charity’, has ‘protected’ it’s ‘investment’. It’s certainly not the work of a known group, they wouldn’t risk the fallout and I’m not sure some sado bedroom hacker would have the resources to DD a site all by themselves, hack it and rewrite the frontpage, yeah, but DDos it?. It doesn’t leave many candidates.

On the other hand, maybe someone knows something we don’t, what do we know about this charity? I don’t know anything about them except that I’ve never heard of them before, and this incident has certainly gained them some very sympathetic publicity.

Something doesn’t sit right with me about this, I mean really? Who would bring down a charity? White and grey hats wouldn’t bother, and black hats would find a better target. Is it really just a bunch of chaos bringers that got together to bring down a good cause? That doesn’t sound right either.

I have a feeling we might hear more about this.

#3 1 year ago
  4. redwood

this is sad.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Phoenixblight

I have done a few of these during my vacation time and they go to places like Dell’s Childrens Hospital and other things that are ran by fundraiser. Both of my daughters had issues when they were born that the nearby hospitals couldn’t resolve but thankfully there was Dell’s children hospital that had specialists. I am very grateful for it being nearby.

#5 1 year ago
  6. AsianGameing

this make lost fate to humanely :(

#6 1 year ago
  7. sebastien rivas

I tend to agree with you Tormenter, especially the issue occurred for some time which means really it was intentional.

Are we told everything we should know about, in, and around this charity???

#7 1 year ago
  8. thezc

Tormenter- you’re a fucking moron. People do these things all the time for no reason. Stop your idiotic conspiracy theories.

#8 1 year ago