[OVER]Wadjet Eye celebrates Halloween by giving away The Blackwell Deception

Friday, 1st November 2013 00:40 GMT By Phil Owen

[No Longer Valid]If you you’ve wanted a new thematically appropriate game for Halloween but can’t or won’t spend money, then you should know that ghost-y point-and-click adventure The Blackwell Deception for PC is free for all today (it’s $10 normally). If you already own it, you’ll find it’s been updated with nicer visuals and stuff. Just go here and click the “buy” button and download away.

1. DSB

Blackwell for life, yo. Or death. Or undeath.

Blackwell for all the metaphysical grey areas between existence, and not.

Really really good series.

“Totally forgot to recommend it. I think they’re pretty much the best adventure games since the Lucas Arts era.

They’re modern in the sense that the puzzles are all very “logical”, there’s one puzzle built around a dialogue tree that’s kinda frustrating, but the story is excellent.

I think you should be able to catch up alright.”

-From the accidental 2nd posting of this story

#1 6 months ago
  2. TheWulf

Damned fine writer, to boot. Dave Gilbert, I mean. There are those that can weave an air of mystery and adventure that drags you along for the ride, even if you weren’t sure whether you wanted that at the outset or not. And the lead characters bounce off of each other so well, as good partners do. And this is definitely a buddy story as much as it is a detective story.

There’s just a lot of emotion balled up within that series, though, like this is a story someone wanted to tell for a very, very long time. And now they can share it with you — it’s exciting, and there’s an intense energy there that accompanies that special kind of game that feels like it was something someone wanted to make.

It’s… almost endemic of the best of the indie scene, if I’m honest.

This is one of the reasons I’ve become so jaded toward most of the mainstream. You can assign a pattern, a flowchart, to predict the flow of the next mainstream game because it’s this vast sea of homogeneity. So, shop-goers want violence of the shooty or stabby game, so thus almost every mainstream game must be violent with no pacifistic options or routes. Things like that.

The mainstream stopped being about telling you a good story a long, long time ago. When was the last time a mainstream game gave you that feeling of being sat at a fireplace next to a wirey-haired uncle, speaking with his hands as he tells you his favourite story, literally weaving it out of the air.

I don’t get that from the mainstream.

What I do get is: “I am a man. I am a man with martial arts a sword a gun. I am a gruff, womanising, straight man. I am a good man, I am the very best of good men. I have a paper-thin backstory to explain why a good guy would commit mass, brutal murder. I will constantly remind you that I am a good guy. I am a good guy. I am going to kill everyone.

And… Blackwell isn’t like that. A lot of indie games aren’t like that. The recent Gone Home wasn’t like that. Usually I mod mainstream games to not be like that, when I can, too. I guess good guy mass murderers sell better than anything else, yeah? But Blackwell isn’t that.

I’m sick of good guy mass murderers.

If you’re beginning to become weary of them, too, then you should start on your great indie adventure. And Blackwell isn’t a bad place to start. Everyone has to get sick of the sea of homogeneity that is the mainstream, but that’s not the only gaming out there, not by a long shot.

#2 6 months ago
  3. ddtd

I missed the free sale. :(

Looks good though. I think I’ll buy it.

#3 6 months ago
  4. ddtd

@2 Ever play SpecOps:The Line? It’s an amazing character study on the typical meat-headed video game hero and their relationship with the player.

#4 6 months ago
  5. dkpunk

Doesn’t work. You can’t enter the code anymore.

#5 6 months ago