Thief ‘Stories from The City’ trailer sheds some light on game’s backstory and setting

Friday, 1st November 2013 15:22 GMT By Phil Owen

Though we’re still months away from the Thief reboot arriving in our homes, Square Enix is getting that marketing ball rolling with a series of animated videos called Stories from The City — “The City” being what they call where the game takes place. The first of said tales is told by Basso, who you could say is Garrett’s only real bro in the world.

Be sure to let us know in the comments if this marketing has affected you in some way.

1. YoungZer0

In before: Complaining about characters, monochrome colors and story for a game people know little about.

Also assumptions based on limited information, made-up stuff and essays. Long essays.

#1 1 year ago
  2. absolutezero

LOOKS GOOD THIS.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Luciferous

Reminds me of the shorts they did for Dishono[u]red

I’m optimistic that this will be a fun game, I do wonder how character progression will work without an XP system…

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

I watched it, as I keep hoping that there was some redeeming quality to this.

I was worried based upon #1′s acidic, deficient kneejerk reaction that I might not like what I see. From #1′s perspective, it seems almost criminal to desire games which represent a colourful, artful aesthetic. One that represents passionate craftsmanship rather than the soulless greyscale of day-job artists who couldn’t care less.

And yes, #1 feared that I might have issues with a ‘badass’ sounding character who certainly fits right in with the homogeneity. He sounds like he’s right out of just about any contemporary action game you could choose. We’ve traded in charisma and eloquence for lackwits with potty mouths, which isn’t what I ever wanted from the Thief games.

So this isn’t for me. I can’t help but wonder if #1 is sitting curled up in front of his screen, yelling ‘unacceptable‘ at it over and over.

You sound genuinely, almost psychotically, wounded because I don’t like something you like. It sounds like it crawls around in your brain, your seething hatred of a random Internet person occupying your every waking moment. Seek help.

I am one person. I’m sure that my not liking it won’t break their bank.

Anyway, for those of us who want a less homogeneous approach to Thief, there is TheDarkMod, which has a pricetag of $0 rather than $60.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Hyperx64

I think Thief is in the right hands. They pulled off Deus Ex: Human Revolution so I think there is really nothing to worry about. If it is an awesome game it means we get even more Thief games in the future :D

#5 1 year ago