Xbox One game gifting could come after launch, suggests Nelson

Thursday, 31st October 2013 11:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One could allow gamers to gift digital games to their friend after launch, Microsoft community man Larry ‘Major Nelson’ Hyrb has suggested.

It comes as a Reddit member openly asked the Xbox One fan-base if such a feature would be available at launch.

Hyrb replied to the user by saying, “Great feature we’d like to add in someday, but it won’t be there at launch.”

You can already do this on Steam, and it’s a feature that seems to work – aside from the ten million Dota 2 beta invites I received.

Would you like to see this happen? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, Xbox One’s snap and user interface features have been shown in a new video. Look.

Via OXM.

1. derpachu

I believe it too.
    Ever since it was leaked on gamestop

#1 11 months ago
  2. VibraniumSpork

Absolutely awesome idea. ‘Gifting’ a copy of something like Super Meat Boy is probably the only way I could’ve got my friends to give it a try. Because my friends are idiots.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Dave Cook

@2 Brilliant! :D

#3 11 months ago
  4. JackTheFaux

@2 Wonderful game. Initially, I wrote it off as a game that would be too frustrating for me. Then, I tried it, bought it, and still can’t get past the Bandage Girl worlds. Still insanely fun to try though.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Erthazus

@2, My favourite indie game of this gen.

#5 11 months ago
  6. VibraniumSpork

@3,4,5, Thanks and agreeance y’all. :D

#6 11 months ago
  7. TrickyAudio

This is a must have feature.

#7 11 months ago
  8. bradk825

This would be a fantastic feature, and no reason not to do it, it’ll clearly make them money.

@2 YES. Sometimes my friends just won’t buy a game even though I’m telling them it’s awesome. But I know if I bought them a copy they’d play it with me, lol.

#8 11 months ago
  9. monkeygourmet

See, now this is a good example of why im annoyed by next gen.

What happened at the planning meetings? This feature is already available on STEAM, it can’t really be abused and is a great positive way to get people to spend MORE money potentially…

As @VSpork said, there are many, many games I would have gifted to my friends on 360 if it was possible. MS would have made MORE money and the feature can’t be that hard to set up?!

Why did they value other shitty features over simple positive changes like this?

Should have easily been ready for launch.

#9 11 months ago
  10. xFidelCashflow

I’ve spent over $300 giving gifts to other people from Steam in the 5 months I’ve been on there. Both consoles should be able to do this, its extra money for both MS, Sony & developers.

1. Add gifting

2. Add a stat checker of sorts, so friends can try to outgive each other

3. Profit

#10 11 months ago
  11. tracyis300

They also need to add the ability to watch movies/tv shows with friends like how Netflix use to be on the 360… Mann! i miss that feature

#11 11 months ago
  12. Hyperx64

Yeah, much needed feature ‘ala Steam.

#12 11 months ago