Resident Evil 5 passes Street Fighter 2 as Capcom’s biggest-seller

Thursday, 31st October 2013 08:39 GMT By Dave Cook

Resident Evil 5 has overtaken the legendary Street Fighter 2 as Capcom’s biggest-selling game since the company formed in 1983.

In a post on the Capcom Investor Relations site, the company pegged Resident Evil 5′s life-time sales at 6.5 million units since 2009, beating Street Fighter 2′s 6.3 million.

It’s impressive considering Street Fighter 2 originally launched in 1992, and has seen several re-releases since.

In third, Resident Evil 6 comes in at 5.2 million units, followed by 4.96 million copies of Resident Evil 2 sold since 1998.

The list continues with Monster Hunter Freedom 3 at five with 4.8 million units, Street Fighter II Turbo at sixth with 4.1 million units, Monster Hunter Freedom Unite at seventh with 3.6 million units, and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis at eighth with 3.5 million units sold.

Interestingly, the prolific and critically-acclaimed Street Fighter 4 is in an nine with 3.3 million units, followed by the newly-released Monster Hunter 4 at 2.8 million units. The latter is currently selling gang-busters in Japan.

What do you make of the numbers? Let us know below.

Meanwhile, why not check out my blog from last year that discusses why I reckon console horror games are stuck in a rut.

Via Polygon.

1. thiz

Well looks like the next iteration will be a coop game again, since that is what just sells best. Resident Evil died for me after the great Resident Evil 4. Revelations was good too.

#1 11 months ago
  2. fengato

It’s sad that the mediocrity that is RE5 has sold more than the godly RE4. As for SFIV being in 9th, I feel that it’s perhaps one of the most over-rated games from this gen. Generic, ugly and spongy feeling compared to Capcom’s proper fighters of old.

#2 11 months ago
  3. TheBlackHole

I’m going to say it. RE4 is overrated.

#3 11 months ago
  4. SameeR_Fisher

@3: Agree, RE4 was good, but seriously overrated.

Also although RE5 lacked any sort of horror, I loved it, probably cause I am a fan of Chris.

#4 11 months ago
  5. alterecho

@3&4 RE4 is not overrated. It had that eerie atmosphere combined with awesome graphics (when it was released) and great gunplay.

RE5 had all the qualities of RE4, minus the eerie atmosphere.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Wezzulus

I have to say, Re5 is probably the most fun and best co-op game I have played. And the infinite ammo and new game plus options just made replaying it so much fun as well.

#6 11 months ago
  7. SplatteredHouse

It’s a milestone no doubt, but in practical terms, I’m not sure its all that strange given the exponentially broader reach of video games certainly today, if not most of the last decade. Additionally, depending on whether or not they’re counting console pack-ins as sales among the figures may also skew the results, possibly. It’s some accomplishment, though.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Dave Cook

RE2 > RE4 > RE1 > RE3 > RE5 > RE6

(Not counting remakes or off-shoots.)

#8 11 months ago
  9. Clupula

RE4 > Code Veronica > RE1 > RE2 > RE6 > Darkside Chronicles > RE3 > Umbrella Chronicles > RE5

#9 11 months ago
  10. Clupula

I am still puzzled by people who say that RE5 is better than RE6.

RE6 is nowhere near my favorite game in the series (as you can see from my ranking, above), but I think it did everything better than RE5 did.

RE5 is an awful Resident Evil game and doesn’t have a single horror-related moment, but is a fun third person shooter. But you still had to deal with brain-dead AI that would constantly get itself killed. RE6, at the very least, fixed that.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Playmaker

RE5 was fun and I’ve played it through it multiple times. Good to see a underrated game show its worth. Also the mercenaries mode was/is better then RE6. But why did they leave Krauser out!!!

#11 11 months ago
  12. TheBlackHole

RE5 was great fun in co-op, and the New game+ options were awesome.

RE6 was almost intollerably shit by comparison.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Clupula

@12 – And once again, you fail to provide the reasons why. What about RE5 was better than RE6? I found RE6 a lot more fun in co-op than RE5.

At least in RE6, my friend and I could make comments about the homoerotic glances Piers and Chris would constantly give each other.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Clupula

@11 – People actually play the mercenaries modes? I usually touch those once or twice and then never think of them again unless I am forced to unlock stuff by playing them.

#14 11 months ago
  15. absolutezero

Mercs still has a pretty thriving community of people playing it, at least on 5 anyway. RE6 on the other hand was pretty swiftly dropped.

I have to admit once you learn some of the shit you can do in RE6 it becomes infinitely more enjoyable, its just terrible at teaching you this stuff.

Quick shots, health pellet sharing, the power of counters (One shotting Bloodshots out of the air hell yeah), sliding etc etc Most people just seemed to try and rely on staggers into melee which alot of the enemies are a little bit more resistant to in comparison to the previous two titles.

RE6 with mastered controls just becomes far more of a free flowing experience with you making up cool looking shit on the go, then you play as Jake and punch everything to death with Matrix-Wesker shit.

Its got almost Dark Souls style quick inventory management as you fly all over the place and move hebs into items and swap weapons about.

God I love Mercs.

#15 11 months ago
  16. xino

i’m bloody impressed!
    RE5 overtakes SF! O_O

RE5 was good, it was sort of disappointing when compared to RE4. But for it’s co-op is amazing!

RE6 is bloody fun and amazing! Love the amount of detail they put in the game with the melee, animation and customs. Shame it lacked unique features RE5 did, such as the co-op melee follow ups.

RE6 was beast! but Ada sucks

#16 11 months ago
  17. absolutezero

RE6 reminds me of Metal Gear Rising in that people dismissed it without knowing half of the depth it has, blade cancelling, dodge cancelling, the potential of the extra weapons how deep the combo system goes with dodging and parrys and blah blah blah.

I guess its always the same in games like these.

#17 11 months ago
  18. PEYJ

Surprised by the figures of Monster Hunter. Saw a Alltime PSP software list some years ago that showed higher sales figures for that series.

#18 11 months ago