Nintendo still defiant on bringing its games to smartphones, says analyst

Thursday, 31st October 2013 12:00 GMT By Dave Cook

Nintendo has no intentions to release its titles on smartphones, according to an analyst present during the company’s recent investors meeting.

The meeting was held following publication of Nintendo’s Q2 financial report, in which the company flagged just 300,000 Wii U hardware sales across the globe for the period.

Now, senior research analyst David Gibson has written a report from the meeting, during which Nintendo stated that 3DS market-share had increased in Japan, Europe and the US. The company added that this is in line with the increasing popularity of smartphones. Awareness of the newly-released 2DS console was confirmed as low.

Despite Nintendo’s acknowledgment that smartphones are on the up, Gibson reported that the company still has no desire to bring titles into that arena.

The potential for Nintendo franchises on mobile is something I asked Game Freak co-founder and Pokemon X & Y director Junichi Masuda when I spoke with him recently.

He replied, “One of the considerations we have for Pokémon games is that it can be safely and securely played in a fun environment. Are you happy to give the game to your own child or lend it to another child? Personally, I’m a little bit nervous. I find some of the other mobile platforms a little bit frighting – so to speak – in this respect. Who knows what the future will hold, but definitely the best choice for Pokémon is the Nintendo 3DS.”

It seems that mobile isn’t of interest to Nintendo at all. Is this an error? Let us know below.

Via Polygon.

1. Cobra951

Defiant? That’s a strange word to use here. They’re not defying anything. Why should refusing to allow others to have their way with your property involve any kind of defiance? It’s their show, and they can run it however they please. Smartphones are a different show, run with other priorities. Frankly, I hope these two never mix.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Defiant in the face of the growing trend of smartphones. It’s not a negative term in this context. If they want to stick to their guns then more power to them.

#2 6 months ago
  3. polygem

i think they will stick to their own platforms, they´ve been doing that and preaching that for ages and i believe that it´s the right thing to do.
    short term cash cow sell outs wouldn´t work for a traditional company like nintendo. if anything they should think about some own nintendo branded hardware that roots more in the mobile market. maybe the homeconsole/handheld hybrid could be THE future thing for them.

#3 6 months ago
  4. Cobra951

@2: You’re right. I was just letting my disdain for the smartphone/tablet encroachment into our world show a little bit. It wasn’t meant as an indictment of your wording.

#4 6 months ago
  5. jakrabbit

They would be better off making their own smartphone/game device the only problem is they aren’t very good at making a decent OS

#5 6 months ago
  6. Dave Cook

@4 I know, I just thought I’d clarify a bit :)

I’m for one, getting a tad sick of smartphone games. Not because I think they’re bad, but because there’s so much content there on top of everything else I have to sample for work.

I’m only one man dammit! :D

#6 6 months ago
  7. Cobra951

@6: Haha! :D

It concerns me because I’m old enough to remember the fiasco in 1983. So much crap got shoveled into the early game consoles and micros that the market suffocated. There is an overabundance of crap on smartphones. It may not kill the market outright, but it certainly threatens to dilute it.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Dragon

Not surprising. Their entire board is in desperate need of some hard reality check and look at their competitors.
    Their projections for the FY are borderline lunatic.

#8 6 months ago
  9. dreamcastnews

I don’t think Nintendo handheld titles are the problem. Home console on the other hand?

I can see why they wouldn’t want to dilute the one market they are extremely strong in.

#9 6 months ago