Sony answers 160 questions about the PS4

Wednesday, 30th October 2013 18:43 GMT By Phil Owen

Sony has posted what they call “PS4: The Ultimate FAQ,” and it’s pretty ultimate with 160 questions on it. That’s a lot of them. You can look at it yourself here, but below I’ll be posting the answers I think are most relevant to help cut through the fat.

What entertainment services will be offered at the launch of PS4?
Sony Network Entertainment’s Music Unlimited and Video Unlimited will be available at launch in North America. We will announce other entertainment services that will be available on Day 1 before launch. Check PlayStation.Blog and PlayStation social channels for further news and updates.

How do PS4’s parental controls work? Can I block Internet access? Can I limit the amount of time my child is permitted to use the console?
You can restrict start-up of the web browser, but you cannot limit the amount of time your child is permitted to use PS4.

What network services will be free on PS4, without a PlayStation Plus membership?
Some of the features users can enjoy for free include:
Accessing entertainment, film, and TV services (Users must subscribe separately to individual services)
Share options, including sending gameplay video and screenshots to Facebook, screenshots to Twitter, or livestreaming gameplay via Ustream or Twitch
Sharing video to Facebook,
Playing PS4 games remotely using the PS Vita system (Remote Play)
Comparing Trophy data with other users
Sending and receiving text messages from other users
PlayStation Store access (users must pay to purchase premium content)
Live item, activity feeds on Dynamic Menu
Party (cross game voice chat)
Web browser
PlayStation App services (on iOS/Android devices)

Will PS4 be able to automatically download system software updates?
Yes, system software updates will be automatically downloaded for all users.

Will PS4 be able to automatically download game patches?
Yes, all PS4 users will be able to automatically download and install game patches to their PS4. In addition, PlayStation Plus members will enjoy the ability to have those automatic downloads happen while the system is in standby mode.

Will users be able to connect an external hard drive to expand storage on PS4?
No, this feature is not supported on PS4.

Will PS4 support any 3D content, including stereoscopic 3D games?
Technically, PS4 supports 3D gameplay at launch in North America, though no launch titles are currently 3D compatible.

What if I’m not able to or don’t want to connect my PS4 system online [to download the day-on update that enables many features, including blu-ray and DVD movies]?
PS4 owners in North America can contact SCEA Consumer Services at (800) 345-7669 to request a Blu-ray activation disc that will be distributed via mail.

Will I be able to install system software update 1.50 via a USB drive?
Yes, you will be able to download the firmware to your PC and transfer it to PS4 using a USB memory stick. However, to use the USB method the first time you take PS4 out of the box and before installing system software update 1.50, you’ll need to enable safe mode. When PS4 is powered off, press and hold the Power Button for seven seconds to enter safe mode. Note: Users should only update using official files downloaded from PlayStation.com.

1. traumadisaster

4k? The one thing that would make me switch to ps4 first would be if it offers 4k movies on in the first month or so. Since they havent made this concrete I will go with xbox 720p. (Yes…its a seiki)

#1 9 months ago
  2. Djoenz

The PS4 system does not support client functionality for media servers.

Thats lame.
    Will any PlayStation Store content purchased on PS3 or PS Vita systems be transferable to a PS4 system?

In some cases, yes. lol some cases. . .

#2 9 months ago
  3. TrickyAudio

Not great for people who want to use PS4 as their all in one media box. No MP3 playback or CD either.

Doesn’t bother me, I havent listened to CDs or any kind of music on a console in years, but it seems a step back from PS3. I guess it could be added later on if enough people kick off.

Very open FAQ though. props.

#3 9 months ago
  4. polygem

i want to change psn id =`(

#4 9 months ago
  5. Rockin a Jack D

Can it play DOTA 2 or LOL? – No

Is every game going to run at 60fps at resolutions higher than 1080p? – No

#5 9 months ago
  6. Belmont

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

Now that’s cool ! Not that I care,but kinda strange.

#6 9 months ago
  7. Arcnail

I’ve not read ‘official’ word from MS on the media server stuff, but for the PS4, that’s pretty lame news.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Erthazus

@4, Me too. I don’t understand why they can’t do it at launch.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Joe Musashi

#2 Not even DLNA support? Wow, that’s very lame indeed. Pretty much everything in my household sees my Plex media server – including my PS3. Seems like a step back. Unless, of course, Sony only want you viewing media you’ve acquired through them or their content partners. Lame either way.

JM

#9 9 months ago
  10. Arcnail

@9 That’s the only reason to not have DLNA support. $$$

#10 9 months ago
  11. bradk825

Downloading updates while in standby seems like a funny thing to put behind the paywall.

#11 9 months ago
  12. EdgizAwesome

Party chat without PS Plus. Now i can honestly say i’m getting the ps4 without a single doubt in my mind.

#12 9 months ago
  13. TrickyAudio

@11 Anything is better than how it currently works on PS3. Ive loved the PS3, but the OS was so frustrating.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@11 So is online gaming, but hey, that’s the nature of the beast.

would have PS+ even without the feature, so its a convenient extra.

#14 9 months ago
  15. Legendaryboss

Oh my that is a meaty Q&A, which i will go through another time.

#15 9 months ago
  16. fearmonkey

Not too happy that the only way I can share video at launch is though Facebook and screenshots though Twitter, at least at launch. Hopefully they fix that in the future and allow me to put it on Youtube or get it to PC somehow, via network or USB.

No Expandable Storage? Going to fill 500GB with mandatory installs pretty quickly.

No DLNA, MP3 audio, or Cd audio support? I can understand CD audio, but no MP3 support? Strange….
    Now that I think about it, did it mention anything regarding video streaming at all?

Lastly, it has bluetooth but no support for headsest we already own, but at least their is an update coming for that.

I hope that the other stuff has updates as well. I used my Xbox 360 to stream media from time to time from Play On Media center, but never used it really for Cd audio, and wont miss that.

#16 9 months ago
  17. bradk825

@14 I find multiplayer makes sense to be behind the paywall. On XBL anything that means you’re using their network in any significant way was Gold only, and they used the money to have the better network and add features as they go. There’s no way to argue this did not result in the best network to play games on. But anyway, my main point is, there was a pattern to it. You could guess whether something would be behind the paywall or not without asking.

But downloading updates while in standby as opposed to while the system is on just seems a little silly, it doesn’t fit the bill. You’re downloading that update either way, so it seems like the feature was put behind the paywall “just because.” It puzzles me that the video sharing is on the free service but the update wouldn’t be.

#17 9 months ago
  18. DuckNation

Playing music on the ps4 i don’t care about i stopped listening to music while playing games back in 06 when i first got my PS3 i find it annoying now.

That being said not being able to play mp3 files on it all seems a bit lame NO I WILL NOT USE MUSIC UNLIMITED.

Don’t care for media streaming i like to have the file on the system rather then stream it but if they take out the option to watch mp4/avi/xvid flies i will flip!

#18 9 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

@17 Considering the vast majority of online multiplayer is peer to peer on console, its a poor excuse. You’re paying for a bunch of leaderboards and some convenient matchmaking. At least on current hardware.

I accept it, but they doesn’t change the fact that it isn’t necessary. PC survived without it for decades.

#19 9 months ago
  20. bradk825

@19 Compare the reliability of XBL to PSN though. Clearly a “you get what you pay for” situation. That wasn’t just convenient matchmaking and leaderboards if you put them side by side.

I see what you’re saying about PC though. True enough.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Ireland Michael

@20 No, its a “clearly this is Microsoft, who have had decades of experience in networking and online infrastructure” situation. Microsoft already had the systems in place to handle this sort of stuff long before Sony (and a huge bucket of money to fund it), whilst Sony pretty much had to build it from scratch.

Anyway, comparison between the two don’t really work anymore. In the beginning it was certainly true that PSN wasn’t half as reliable or stable as Xbox Live back when the hardwares originally launched, but this hasn’t been a valid comparison in years. There’s absolutely no discernible differences between my online gameplay experiences on the PS3 or the 360 anymore.

#21 9 months ago
  22. PS-FART

and 160 more new INDIE titles.haha :)

#22 9 months ago
  23. zoopdeloop

@22 plus AAA exclusives from all their first and second party studios…you know ;)

#23 9 months ago
  24. PS-FART

sure I know,INDIE Exclusives. :)

#24 9 months ago
  25. bradk825

@21 They have leveled out some for current gen but we’re around the corner from XB1 offering dedicated servers for all games at no charge to the devs. They don’t seem eager to be just “as good” as PSN for the start of the new generation either.

#25 9 months ago
  26. zoopdeloop

@24 as much as indie are Halo and Forza :)

#26 9 months ago
  27. TrickyAudio

“Thanks for the feedback to the lack of MP3 and DLNA support at the launch of PS4. I’ll share with the PS4 Dev team for future consideration”

Shuhei on twitter.

#27 9 months ago
  28. dizzygear

“Can I listen to audio CDs using PS4?
    No, PS4 does not support audio CDs.”

What the fuck?

#28 9 months ago
  29. Djoenz

JM I use my laptop via hdmi cable hooked on my tv for my Plex goodness. I need that interface. Now if only they would release a plex app for freaking ps4 that would be the bomb that supports dlna ofcourse!

#29 9 months ago
  30. Joe Musashi

Fair point. My consoles and games PC also output to the same screen so lack of DLNA on PS4 would not be a total deal-breaker, just a large step backwards.

That said, if PS4′s web browser is at least as competent as PS3′s current one then Plex’s web-client will at least be a reasonable middle-ground.

A dedicated app would be lovely though, agreed. I use the Back To Blue skin for mine.

I’d be happy to be branded a saleman for Plex given my enthusiasm for it. But seeing as Plex is free the label would be a little redundant. :)

JM

#30 9 months ago
  31. eddy27

MS confirm, Xbox One DLNA, CD playback WILL be available as normal and MP3 can be played using PlayTo.

Seems that to play any music on the PS4 is going to require a subscription.

PS4 will NOT upload to YouTube.

PS4 No expand storage support from external hard drive

#31 9 months ago
  32. freedoms_stain

When was the last time I played a CD on a games console…

Seriously, I think it was on a PS2, and even then it was because I could use the optical-out to record onto my minidisc player.

When was the last time I actually played a CD actually…

Outside of the car, I honestly can’t remember. I don’t actually possess a CD player any more, I rip CD’s to my PC and then they go into storage.

#32 9 months ago