Rubin confirms Call of Duty Ghosts runs at 720p on Xbox One, native 1080p on PS4

Wednesday, 30th October 2013 19:27 GMT By Phil Owen

With rumors abounding about the apparent disparity in resolution between the two next-gen editions of Call of Duty: Ghosts, producer Mark Rubin finally ended the speculation by confirming that is in fact true.

The addressed the topic in a tweet: “Hey, been on the road last couple weeks so haven’t had a chance to update, but wanted to confirm that for Xbox One we’re 1080p upscaled from 720p. And, we’re native 1080p on PS4. We optimized each console to hit 60 FPS and the game looks great on both.”

So who’s a bit bummed by this?

1. Dark

Should have just called it the Xbox 720.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

I don’t like this resolution debacle, i don’t get it. Someone tell me what is all the fuss?

#2 11 months ago
  3. DreamCleaver

@1 HAH! Good one!

#3 11 months ago
  4. Dragon

And I just posted on forums :(

Btw, for the first time, a PlayStation console will have a better looking version than MS one if I am correct.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Legendaryboss

HA! :) Thats what we all thought it was going to be called, well me i was certain it was going to be called Xbox720 pre-reveal.

I didn’t expect MS to call it Xbox One, i understand the marketing appeal of it though.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Cobra951

@1, 3: yes!

@2: Don’t ask me. 60fps @720p is perfect for me. I haven’t decided which console I’ll be getting, though, and I doubt I’ll ever play a CoD game.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Ireland Michael

It’s pretty much a given at this point that the PS4 is a significantly more powerful machine than the X1.. but I still really couldn’t give a damn about all this comparison crap.

I am so, so glad the Internet wasn’t around during the Amstrad / C64 / Spectrum days, when there actually were discernible and significant differences between different versions of a game. People would have bloody lost it.

Current day comparison tests are the most pointless, irrelevant pedantry I’ve ever seen.

#7 11 months ago
  8. Moonwalker1982

Arthur Gies and more people didnt deny this anyway last week, so it’s really old news. I understand its news now that it has been confirmed though. According to Gies development tools of X1 were a bit behind and that is the sole reason of BF4 and CoD being 720p. He said it should be fixed after some time.

It sucks, but i for one barely/don’t see the resolution difference in the BF4 comparison videos, but i agree that X1 should be able to do 1080p and it CAN. Forza 5, FIFA 14 and NBA2k14 all show it can.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Xbone

But… but… WHAT ABOUT THE CLOUD?
    BUY ME!

#9 11 months ago
  10. Rockin a Jack D

Meanwhile, on PC you can play at 4K @ 60fps if you have the gear…

#10 11 months ago
  11. Kalain

Does it really matter? If you enjoy it on either then good. Have fun.

#11 11 months ago
  12. bradk825

@8 So I have questions. Are you saying that because of a lag in getting the dev tools working some games are going to be downscaled for a bit, but they will catch up?

Yeah, you’re right, they have several games at 1080p 60fps so I am puzzled to see COD, who LOVES Microsoft, at a lower res on XB1.

It’s still going to look great either way so I’m not too worried about it, but I don’t get why it would be at a lower res when the system is proven to handle it.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Kaufer

Hey atleast it is HD for the first time in consoles.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@12 The game can only pump do what the hardware is capable of. Clearly it’s not powerful enough.

I thought teh infinite power of TEH CLOUD made this sort of thing a non issue?

#14 11 months ago
  15. fearmonkey

Just replied to Dragon and saw this…lol

Ill just post the same thing here then..

All that arguing back and forth about the PS4′s extra power is finally answered. You can play native 1080p for $399 or you can pay $499 for upconversion to 1080p on MS’s flagship title besides Halo.

This is what I have been saying all along, even if the third party does nothing to make the game look better, On PS4 it can run at a higher resolution with better antialasing, filtering, and tesselation, without having to change much of anything about the game.

#15 11 months ago
  16. tenthousandgothsonacid

Xbone 720 lol

#16 11 months ago
  17. bradk825

@14 as stated, the hardware is proven capable of 1080p 60fps, it’s already been done.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Dragon

@15,
    Same with me :P

#18 11 months ago
  19. Dark

I wonder if Major Nelson was “looking forward” for this..

#19 11 months ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

As expected though, people making childish jokes about it. But i’m pretty sure when devs get a hang off the tools a bit more, it will be all fine.

#20 11 months ago
  21. zinc

I imagine any Xbowner’s (tips hat to DSB) feelings of inadequacy, will be alleviated come March.

#21 11 months ago
  22. bradk825

@21 what happens in March?

#22 11 months ago
  23. Legendaryboss

Titanfall on Xbox One plus Xbox 360 and PC. Expecting a big boom that month apparently but rumoured to be 720p so…

#23 11 months ago
  24. fearmonkey

@17 – The hardware is definitely capable of 1080p (or higher)but evidently not when there is a ton of effects, heavy geometry and post processing going on.

That being said, I have seen COD:Ghosts and can’t see why it cant be 1080p. Battlefield 4 I can understand, that game looks beautiful, but the new COD looks like the same old COD with some better models.

#24 11 months ago
  25. bradk825

I just picked up BF4, single player, yeah, looks awesome, but multiplayer failed to impress. I found Black Ops 2 better looking on multiplayer than BF4.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@17 Different games, different engines, different resource requirements. Optimisation. Difference in polygon counts, how much is rendered on screen, texture resolutions, etc..

The games that can achieve those resolutions are obviously coded well enough to manage it. A first person shooter is generally going to have a lot more detail onscreen than, say, a fighting game or a racing game, so it’s going much easier to get a lot more detail out of it.

That’s before you start even taking post processing effects into consideration, which is where the vast majority of processing power gets sucked up into.

When one version of a near identical looking multi format title needs to run at a significantly different resolution to reach the same level of performance, there’s one thing that can be pointed at as an explanation – the hardware.

#26 11 months ago
  27. Joe Musashi

“Unproven”, “Theoretical”

;)

JM

#27 11 months ago
  28. bradk825

@23 Oh right right. Where was my head at on that one?

Also some time next year is Halo. If they make it XB1 only it’ll be a system seller. If they want to sell more XB1s they should make it next-gen only.

Titanfall could easily be 720p. A lot going on there.

#28 11 months ago
  29. powerbuoy

@2 & @6 – Well 1920×1080 is more than twice as many pixels as 1280×720 so what that means is that the PS4 is capable of a lot more than the XBOX One. It may not mean much in this game, or in BF4, but in the long run and with exclusives it definitely will.

#29 11 months ago
  30. PS-FART

now sonyfan apes can jump up & down!

#30 11 months ago
  31. Legendaryboss

Yeah Halo Xbox One whatever its called is exclusive, no mention of another platform. Titanfall could easily be 720p but its not too much of a demanding game: multiplayer only and others have achieved it with more than one mode so it might be possible to go above that but i don’t see the hassle for it to be honest.

Would that please your majesty?

#31 11 months ago
  32. NiceFellow

@17 the PS3 and 360 can do 1080p that in itself is meaningless and doesn’t “prove” anything. Heck if we’re just judging by ability to output 1080p then you’d have to declare the new consoles the same as the old ones.

It’s about what they can output at 1080p and what they can’t and whether each is equally capable – and breaking the bad news now they’re not.

The bottom line is that due to differing goals the PS4 has ended up the more powerful gaming device vs XB1 as well as being easier to design code for: and it’s pretty obvious already that most multi-plats are going to look better and this will likely continue throughout the gen.

The devs will get better on XB1 and the tools will improve but the design will always lag behind PS4 architecture and of course the devs will still get better on PS4 and the tools will improve there too. You’re going to see better and better visuals on both (just like every gen) but the PS4 will always remain a step ahead comparatively.

Personally I think both consoles are putting out decent looking games already(as someone who plays a bit more on PC vs console) but anyone convincing themselves the XB1 will “catch up” or that the differences are really small is just deceiving themselves. That’s just spin from MS and MS affiliated sites and individuals. PS4 exclusive engines will outperform XB1 exclusive engines and multi-platform engines will mostly be running at lower res on XB1 or other visual effects will be toned down accordingly.

The XB1 – ironically enough – is what the PS3 tried to be at launch: a one stop media centre including games. The PS4 – also ironically enough – is what the 360 was at launch: a device more dedicated to playing games that can double as a decent enough media device too.

What a turnaround – the internet is going to be a crazy place until this settles down and people just accept the change in position of Sony/MS and decide what kind of device they really want.

#32 11 months ago
  33. DrDamn

Agree with Moonwalker that this is substantially tool/development related and next year’s CoD will likely be 1080p. However it doesn’t look great when a flagship title like CoD is to MS doesn’t make thgrade.

#33 11 months ago
  34. Hcw87

When CoD at 1080p looks as crap as it does (look up the IGN PS4 vid posted about a week ago) i really can’t give a damn.

Ryse allready proves that XB1 can have pure visuals on par with PS4′s launch games.

#34 11 months ago
  35. Moonwalker1982

Exactly man. Ryse looks absolutely amazing and that is a launch game. It definitely is quite bad to have a crap-ass looking game like CoD to be only 720p, but screw CoD anyway. I am confident in due time it will be fixed.

#35 11 months ago
  36. loki

@10 meanwhile on PC you can play another crap-port at 4K upscaled from 720p @ 12-60fps if you have the gear

#36 11 months ago
  37. Eregol

@4 No. Portal 2 looked better on PS3 than 360.
    Probably the only time a multiplat game was better on the Sony platform.

#37 11 months ago
  38. fearmonkey

@37 – Really? I never knew that. I would think the textures would be better on the 360 version.

#38 11 months ago
  39. zoopdeloop

@37 i’m sure there were also others.FFXIII,L.A Noire,Vanquish to name a few.

#39 11 months ago
  40. Eregol

@39 Ah yes FFXIII. Forgot about that.
    Would be handy if DF allowed you to sort out their comparisons by which platform had the better version.

@38 Definitely. Textures were equal across the 2, PS3 had the effects are more stable frame rate though.

#40 11 months ago
  41. bradk825

@34 True that other factors come into play as far as pretty visuals go. Ryse is NOT 1080p native, but it’s better looking than many that are.

#41 11 months ago
  42. Hcw87

Resolution only means so much, 1080p is ”twice the pixels” as 720p, but you can hardly tell just by looking at it.

I think the main differences in multiplats will be framerates and aliasing.

#42 11 months ago
  43. ddtd

@26 – Hardware may have something to do with this, but dev kits and tools have something to do with it as well. The PS3 was technically a superiors chine to the 360, but that didn’t show in third party and multiplat games because the devs weren’t as familure with the tools as the first party studios.

Based on fact and some rumors that appear to be true, Sony was able to get dev kits out to developers long before MS, so there appears to be some catching up on the Xbone ports of multiplat games. Also, there have been issues with the Xbone SDKs (the severity unknown). It can be reasonably assumed that these issues have hindered development for launch/near launch titles on the Xbone, and the devs haven’t had a chance to fully optimize those builds. This could be why they’re running at 720p.

I think a more reasonable litmus test will be the games that come out early next year, like Watchdogs. Those devs will have had plenty of time to work out the kinks of the dev tools and kits, so if there’s still a gap in performance then I would be more inclined to blame the hardware.

But then again, I agree with your earlier sentiment that the resolution difference isn’t really much. On most TVs, they’ll hardly be a difference when these graphics are in motion. It’s not like the Xbone is lower res AND is missing shadows, or has dumpy textures, or simpler physics.

#43 11 months ago
  44. Eregol

@42 At which point the fact the XB1′s frame rate is faster to drop and slower to recover than PS4 with Battlefield 4 should be cause for concern.

#44 11 months ago
  45. Hcw87

This early in the console cycle i’m not concerned at all, especially considering it’s a cross generation game.

Things might have been very different if they had the time they needed to perfect it, they’ve allready said the XB1 review build were missing features that the later builds has, Ambient Occlusion being one of them.

#45 11 months ago
  46. Erthazus

Resolution matters. A lot. 1080p and 720p is a huge difference.
    If someone does not understand this he is stupid or just don’t have decent monitor/TV to produce the image.

In 720p even upscaled you get jaggies all over the place with native 1080p you get crisp image where you don’t need a lot of Anti Aliasing.

#46 11 months ago
  47. Hcw87

Which is why i said the major differences next gen will be in jaggies and framerates.

Considering you’re a PC guy though, you notice jaggies a whole lot easier, since you sit like 40cm from your monitor. It’s way easier to spot jaggies that way.

Just try walking right up next to your TV while playing a game.

It’s ugly.

#47 11 months ago
  48. Bomba Luigi

1080p just should be a given. Its the next Step, 720p is the Resolution we had all the Time on the old Consoles. And there is a notable Diffrence between 720p and 1080p, one I always could see in the Past Years from Switching between Consoles and PC.
    Bringing now the same old 720p on the Next Gen would be like having 8Bit Graphics on the SNES. Or having GC Resolution on the Wii… wait a Moment… that really happend! Anybody wanna tell me that was great?^^

But in the End we can’t make final Conclusions now. Its a Launch Game, Mulitplatt and Multigen, and the Developers don’t know the Hardware all that good for now. I guess it would be easy to bring CoD in 1080p on Xbox One when they had more Time to work with the esram, and since the PS4 is easier to programm it happend to work there better.

I really think we should talk about all that in about a Year, but I guess the Internet isn’t patience.

#48 11 months ago
  49. Erthazus

To the X1 defense.

To be honest. The issue here is not in Xbox 1 hardware. It’s Infinity Ward problem only. They always had shitty engineering problems even on the PC.

The fact that PS4 has advantage in resolution means only one thing that Infinity Ward developer’s devkit and engine was suited more for the PS4 hardware then Xbox One’s at launch.
    If you remember Xbox One first Devkits had major issues with tons of bugs.

The next game from Infinity Ward won’t be in 720p and it depends on Microsoft drivers and patches for their dev kits. Sony was just prepared more then Microsoft and Infinity development structure was also prepared for PS4 development.

@Bomba Luigi, ” Its the next Step”

No.It’s.Not. the next step is 4K or at least 2560×1660 resolution.

#49 11 months ago
  50. dkpunk

@47 lol not bad. Although when I game on my pc, I usually use my TV and 360 wireless pad.

#50 11 months ago
  51. Ireland Michael

Well I’m fucked if 4K is the future, because the sharpness of the resolution makes me feel physically nauseous.

#51 11 months ago
  52. Erthazus

^ Go see a doctor. When you see real people in real life you also probably feel physically nauseous.

Good lord.

Let’s go back to 240p image. Why 4K or even 1080p boys and girls?

#52 11 months ago
  53. sg1974

#53 11 months ago
  54. sg1974

PS Can’t wait to see how Digital Foundry spin this one.

#54 11 months ago
  55. freedoms_stain

@48, I think you’ll find very few games hit 720p on PS3 or 360 unless they were substantially less demanding in other areas.

Both consoles could display 1080p images even, but not if there was much else going on.

#55 11 months ago
  56. Legendaryboss

Remain classy Erthazus, if thats at all possible.

Ha! :P

#56 11 months ago
  57. Erthazus

MS will take so much damage here but to be honest they don’t deserve it. At launch it is very hard to make decent devkits. Remember PS3 launch? They had devkits without any SOFTWARE in them, Basically Command Prompt.

btw, where is G1GA with his knowledge about “Microsoft mighty Servers, better online” and other Edward snowden secret files that he knows about?

#57 11 months ago
  58. nani17

Can’t wait for next gen games that run in 720p……..like now………………………….

#58 11 months ago
  59. Ireland Michael

@52 Wow… just… wow…

I have eyesight issues that put my vision severely out of focus. 3D on small screens and 4K displays give me severe headache and nausea. Excuse me, Jesus. There isn’t anything I can do about it beyond not looking at it.

#59 11 months ago
  60. Erthazus

@59, I just don’t understand this problem. How do you play games then? With this condition I’m not really sure that you should not spend a lot of time with games.

#60 11 months ago
  61. Ireland Michael

@60 Because 1080p and below doesn’t have that effect on me… although I have come across a handful of 1080p televisions that for reasons I can’t ascertain do cause me severe nausea. Regarding 3D… I just leave the 3D off on my 3DS.

If 4K becomes the norm in 5 / 10 years, well… I won’t have any choice in the matter. I’ll just have to reduce the resolution, or simply not play the game if that isn’t an option.

#61 11 months ago
  62. Hcw87

Have you watched 4K video before?

It could just be your eyes getting used to the strain, like when you start wearing glasses. I know it took a while for me to get used to that.

Then again, if you have real medical issues with it, just ignore me.

#62 11 months ago
  63. Ireland Michael

@62 Yes I have. Just looking at the screen made me feel queasy and off balance. I was throwing up 20 minutes later. I have glasses. Can’t even see jack on a HDTV without them.

Yay for the future!

#63 11 months ago
  64. DarkSoulz

Lazy ass fucks IMO. Out of PS4 and XO Ryse looks insane for a next gen and IW cant pull 1080 on an engine they used since 2002????? WTF

#64 11 months ago
  65. Fin

lol

#65 11 months ago
  66. FeaturePreacher

Well I wouldn’t deride infinity ward too much. Crytek could only reach 900p.

#66 11 months ago
  67. Doppleganger

Honestly most people play on a TV smaller than 50″ and sit like 7-10 feet away so you won’t see the difference between 1080 and 720.
    Im still on the fence but Its not to settling knowing one system is that much more powerful on day one.
    PS4 has crappy games IMHO and probably only play Battlefield 4 but knowing I can save 100 dollars and have a more powerful console is not helping with the decision.
    Damn it man! why couldn’t WiiU sell a new realistic Zelda game this year so Ill just buy that.

#67 11 months ago
  68. G1GAHURTZ

@63:

It’s not the resolution. It’s a combination of the resolution and the refresh rate.

You’d probably find that you had the exact same effect if you sat in front of an old CRT running 1024×768 at 30Hz.

I think the newer, cheaper, 4k TVs are 60Hz, which, going by your reaction, isn’t enough for everybody. I’m sure you wouldn’t have the problem with one running at 120Hz, which most should be within a few years.

#68 11 months ago
  69. G1GAHURTZ

Well, that’s pretty disappointing…

If there is a clear difference between the two, and if PSN sorts itself out, I might just get a PS4 at launch, and leave the X1 until March.

I’ll probably only be playing CoD until then, anyway.

I’ve said it before, and I stand by it. I have no intention of paying £430 just to play a bunch of 720p games. I can already do that on my 360.

MS had better hope that every game on X1 has comparable looks with the PS4 version like BF4 does, or I can’t see myself buying one. Titanfall is on 360 and PC, so I don’t need an X1 to play it.

#69 11 months ago
  70. OmegaSlayer

Where is Irani?
    Where is he hiding?
    Not much of a man I see…

Anyway, for those hoping that things will get better for XBONE…they will, as they’ll get better for PS4.
    If you think only the bone will get better, you’re in big denial.

#70 11 months ago
  71. fengato

The good thing about the clear disparity between the X1 and PS4 is that it makes it easier to select multiplat titles – you don’t have to weigh it up for each purchase – or fragment your library. It’s the reversal of last gen for me – that was 360 for everything aside from PS exclusives. This time (for me) it’ll be Halo, Titanfall and Forza for X1, with everything else going to PS4. Late November can’t get here soon enough.

#71 11 months ago
  72. Docker Al

That’s it for me. I’m done with Xbox. I’m not paying more for less performance and for a surveillance camera that will never get plugged in. The fact that Microsoft skimped on the hardware to get that camera in to the package is just too galling to accept. Just as annoying is the fact that the limited power of the hardware is gimped even further to run a load of crap like ‘snapping’ apps etc. More rubbish I have no interest in. I was going to buy an Xbox 720p to play games on, not this rubbish. Last gen was about 720p, not this one.
    Pre-order cancelled.

#72 11 months ago
  73. Fin

:O

There was a great quote from DigitalFoundry’s long interview with X1 architects – they were talking about fewer CUs on X1, how people were declaring the PS4 more powerful, and then said this gem:

“When you see the games you’ll be saying, ‘What is the performance difference between them’”

Nah I think the difference is quite clear!

#73 11 months ago
  74. monkeygourmet

Can’t wait to see the COD : Ghosts Xbone / Xbox 360 faceoff :)

#74 11 months ago
  75. bradk825

@74 I am looking forward to seeing the comparison too. I am doing the $10 trade-up Nov 22 so I’ll get to see the difference.

#75 11 months ago
  76. Cobra951

The discussion has followed the expected path, sadly. Static resolution is only one factor. Frame rate is even more important for animated media. 60 fps @720p is much superior to 30 fps @1080p in anything involving motion. There is only so much power to draw upon, and only so much talent to do so optimally. Yeah, maybe the PS4 hardware is superior. Time will tell. Early games in a new gen are absolutely no indication of this, however. We should all know that by now.

#76 11 months ago
  77. Kuwabara

Wipeout Hd fury 1080p 60 frames on ps3, still looks amazing to this day. Can’t wait to see what they do on ps4.

#77 11 months ago
  78. Panthro

‘But there isn’t a difference between 1080p and 720p!’

yeah? tell that to the developers, why wouldn’t they just make both run at 720p to shut people up and to secure an even more stable framerate for PS?

‘But optimization!’

There has been a clear trend towards developers cutting things down on the X1; this will probably keep happening, optimizations will help in the future but the trend will probably continue.

‘But once developers get used to developing for the X1!’

And as they are doing that they will also be getting better at developing for the PS4.

#78 10 months ago