“Absolutely no DRM” ever for The Witcher 3 on PC

Wednesday, 30th October 2013 19:04 GMT By Phil Owen

Speaking in a blog post, CD Projekt RED co-founder Marcin Iwinski laid down the law regarding DRM for the Witcher 3 on the PC: they aren’t doing that.

“The PC version of The Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM from day 0. Zero. Zip. Nada,” the man said. “We’ve fiddled with DRM in the past (Oh boy! How young and naïve we were;)) and that’s enough. Lesson learned.”

While what he’s saying does apply to physcail copies and those bought from GOG — which CD Projekt owns — they are of course going to put The Witcher 3 on Steam, which is a DRM platform. But the point is that if you don’t want DRM, you can always avoid it. There will be no stopping you from being free.

1. YoungZer0

Someone gets it. The Rest? Well they are the rest.

#1 11 months ago
  2. adam-22

my 2 680s are ready ^^ i will buy it on steam though

#2 11 months ago
  3. PS-FART

PC Pirates,Stop pirating games.do not harm developers.

#3 11 months ago
  4. TheWulf

Piracy is always a convenient scapegoat.

The PC market is different than that of the console market, it seems to veer a little more towards novelty and the odd, indies and such. I can even see the beginnings of that with the 3DS, which is the strangest thing, honestly. Then again, there was also the Dreamcast, which was like that too. I guess… this just happens.

And with each platform, you have to understand what people like. What PC gamers clearly don’t like is Assassin’s Creed. I think aside from a noisy minority, the vast majority of people are bored by the franchise. So Ubisoft releases that on the PC and then they complain about piracy when it doesn’t sell, and they continue to complain about piracy even though Rayman Legends sells by the bucketload.

Piracy is an easy scapegoat, especially for your shareholders. It’s a simple thing to believe.

And there are really unusual games that didn’t sell well on the consoles that seem to be selling like hotcakes on Steam. Apparently Enslaved, which console owners thought was awful, is selling ridiculous amounts on the PC. You just have to understand what people want, and not everyone wants the same thing.

I think having been exposed to so many indies, PC owners are at a point where we want more interesting things. If the game is interesting, and fun, and it doesn’t use trickery to cover up cheapness and bad game design, then it’ll do well.

Then again, you have multiple demographics even on the PC.

You have people who like indies, you have people who like sims, and you have people who’ll play every subscription MMO that launches.

But not everyone likes everything.

The Witcher 3 will probably sell well because PC folks like RPGs.

Make a good game and it’ll sell. Good DRM serves one purpose — a challenge to entertain a talented cracker, who’ll likely find their way through your system in anywhere between a week before launch, to three months after. And even if it’s only cracked three months after launch, piracy will still be blamed for poor sales.

Sell things people want to buy, and they’ll buy it.

I’m after good werewolf games at the moment, and I also really like action-platformers, so I’ve bought a few copies of Blood of the Werewolf myself. This is another thing that, I think, indies don’t realise about niche markets — that we’re willing to pay more for a game that fits our tastes than we are for a game that doesn’t, regardless of whether it’s mainstream or indie. I’d happily have paid $60 for Blood of the Werewolf. That I didn’t meant I bought it for other people instead.

If someone’s going to pirate your game, they never intended to buy it in the first place. Piracy isn’t lost sales, piracy is a very helpful statistic telling you how unpopular a type of game is on any given platform.

#4 11 months ago
  5. John117

A split sec I thought “There will be no stopping you from being free” was written as “There will be no stopping you from getting it free” xP Although sadly many will probably see this as a easy way to get a free game thus ensuring that other publishers will enforce DRM :/ One can only hope ofc, but I would never bet a penny on human kindness when it comes to getting something for free easy…

#5 11 months ago
  6. DSB

Well, it seems the law has been laid down.

#6 11 months ago