Xbox One: Microsoft Studios hiring creative producer for “long-term, transmedia IPs”

Monday, 28th October 2013 13:02 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and TV go hand-in-hand, according to Microsoft, so it’s unsurprising that the company’s flagship studio is hiring a creative producer to help forge transmedia content for all of its first-party and exclusive IP moving forward. It follows the leak of a Ryse: Son of Rome live-action TV drama.

OXM reports that the creative producer role descriptor reads, “The Narrative Design team at Microsoft Studios is looking for an experienced producer, from the gaming and/or other entertainment industry, with exceptional creative, collaborative, and diplomatic skills to join us in developing and crafting new, long-term, transmedia IPs for the entire Microsoft Studios portfolio.

“As a Creative Producer, you will work closely with the Central Media team (writers, artists, audio and UI professionals), game leads, external partners and other key stakeholders to design and implement features and products that expand and improve our entertainment properties and platforms.

“These properties and platforms will include core, broad-appeal, and casual games; console, PC, tablet, and mobile platforms; books, graphic novels, comics, and other tangible media; and linear media such as television, webisodes, and film. Just as importantly, this producer will also be engaged in identifying genres, platforms, media, and technology not even considered yet for distributing through both traditional and new media outlets.

“This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Help us develop innovative ways to tell and expand story and build franchises and entertainment experiences at one of the world’s leading game publishers using the most exceptional, cutting-edge technologies.”

Transmedia is quite a big deal right now, something former THQ man Danny Bilson is basing his next IP entirely around. Read my interview with him here.

What’s your take on Microsoft’s veering towards TV and transmedia?

1. mistermogul

“What’s your take on Microsoft’s veering towards TV and transmedia?”

It’s an interesting approach but I’m unsure of how I feel about it.

On the one hand it would be cool I suppose to get some TV shows based on games, if they were made well.

But on the other hand I buy my consoles to play games. I’ve got hundreds of channels of TV shows already and I’d prefer MS to spend their money developing exclusive games instead. Obviously though, this designed to attract non-gamers and get more Xbones sold into homes I presume?

I’m glad I’m going PS4 and also glad that Sony seem to be investing in games rather than TV. I hope it stays that way.

#1 12 months ago
  2. RandomTiger

Transmedia just seems like an expensive way to raise the stakes of any IP. I guess the whole nature of TV is in transition right now and theres money to be made if you get it right. Cant but help feel from watching how games and film have interacted over the past decade that this not going to go well.

I’d rather the games industry follows its own path and looks internally for solutions on how to make games better and make them appeal to more people. Is this what next gen is? Watching a TV show instead of a cutscene???

#2 12 months ago
  3. antraxsuicide

It’s an interesting idea. And I don’t think that “transmedia” means a video game-based TV show, like the Halo show. I think it’s more like Quantum Break, where the game is woven into the show and vice versa.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Eregol

@1 Don’t forget that Sony announced at E3 that they were planning exclusive TV content for PS4.

#4 12 months ago
  5. The_Red

Transmedia, micro-transactions in every game, Mandatory multiplayer for singleplayergames, DLC overflow… next-gen is gonna be sad.

#5 12 months ago
  6. viralshag

It’s interesting idea, Defiance was ok if you’re into sci-fi but I trailed off the series about midway, I will probably catch up before Christmas though. I would have stayed interested had the game been better.

And I think that’s the problem. Both game and show have to be good for them to balance out and make it worthwhile to keep playing/watching. Otherwise it just strikes me as being bit of a financial black hole where you will have to spend a lot to get it going for possibly not much interest or return.

The Halo series, Forward Unto Dawn was good. I think something that builds a bit of hype while delivering entertainment as a shot pre-release or even post-release would be enough. On-going shows I’m not too sure about.

#6 12 months ago
  7. mistermogul

@3 – I hope you’re right ;)

@4 – I missed that. Did they say what they were working on exactly?

#7 12 months ago
  8. salarta

“Transmedia” is going to crash and burn. These things existed at one point in time where live action footage was mixed with periods of gameplay back when the industry was still transitioning into 3D. It didn’t work then, it’s not going to work now.

There may be a point in time when it’s feasible, but that time isn’t now. Money and hype can only go so far in getting people to try something different. It can make people believe great franchises sucked until some new entry that’s the exact opposite of what the franchise was meant to be comes along, but it can’t get people to try iffy new forms of media at the drop of a hat.

#8 12 months ago
  9. antraxsuicide

@8 Wrong timing. Just like everything else, there will always be predecessors. Just look at smartphones: the iPhone was most definitely not the first smartphone, but it came at a better time than earlier models. Conversely, look at netbooks. Those came out at the wrong time, because people looking for smaller laptops just went for tablets.

I’m not saying one way or the other, but transmedia certainly doesn’t have to crash and burn.

#9 12 months ago
  10. Eregol

@7 No.
    They just wheeled some bloke out who looked like he had no idea what he was doing there, and to try and generate hype the guy starts with ‘I’m from Sony studios, and we make Breaking Bad.’

#10 12 months ago
  11. bradk825

Defiance was a good show based on a pretty floppy game. It was repetitive, clunky and way too simple in my opinion. There was novelty for a couple days, but once you’d tried all the different types of arkfalls you had basically tasted everything it had to offer.

As long as the game piece is actually interesting, transmedia should work well. I look forward to Ryse and Halo shows and I hope they work out well.

#11 12 months ago
  12. TheBlackHole

One major problem with transmedia, and it’s the same reason film-game adaptations end up being shit, generally.

TV production timeline – 1-3 months to film (per series), then two-four weeks post pro per episode

Film production timeline – 2-6 months filming, 6-18 months post pro (inc effects)

Triple-A development timeline – 24-48 months

The timelines just don’t allow for a decent game to be made in the right time frame.

#12 12 months ago
  13. _LarZen_

“What’s your take on Microsoft’s veering towards TV and transmedia?”

I love cool new tech and I love games,movies and series. So it’s a perfect fit for me with the XBO.

#13 12 months ago