The Witcher series has passed 6 million life-time sales, CD Projekt releases infographic

Friday, 25th October 2013 12:30 GMT By Dave Cook

The Witcher series has sold over 6 million units since its debut, developer CD Projekt RED has revealed. It comes as the critically-acclaimed RPG series turns six.

CDPR’s first Witcher title dropped in 2007, and since then has gone on to be a go-to series for hardcore RPG enthusiasts. The third game, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is due on PC, PS4 and Xbox One in 2014.

Speaking with Eurogamer, studio head Adam Badowski said of the milestone, “CD Projekt RED was built on the idea that giving gamers more is always worth it.

“Since the very beginning of our journey we have seen that the approach of inviting gamers into a dialogue with the developer is really important and can shake up the – sometimes self-destructive – business side of games. We hope you’ll stay with us for the years to come and that we will continue to make these changes together.”

You can see a big Witcher birthday infographic rammed full of stats here, along with this lovely piece of sixth birthday artwork.

Meanwhile, the studio’s other project Cyberpunk 2077 has been quiet recently, and the team has stated that it will ‘probably’ come to next-gen. Check out what they said here.

Are you a fan of The Witcher? What’s your take on the sales figure? Let us know below.

1. SameeR_Fisher

Someone should ask them if they intend to bring The Witcher 1&2 to Next Gen (PS4/X1), cause to be honest I want to buy The Witcher 3, but my PC can’t run either of the first 2 titles, and I don’t like going into a game without knowing what happened before.

#1 9 months ago
  2. DSB

Maybe it’s the lack of a big marketing campaign, but I don’t understand why The Witcher 2 didn’t sell more than it did. It’s one of the best RPGs I’ve played in aages.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Gekidami

Any idea how much each game sold?

#3 9 months ago
  4. CPC_RedDawn

Very well deserved and great too see such a passionate and relatively small team making such a big impact.

I bet they will release the W1&2 for next gen maybe as a downloadable game as the current gen version pale in comparison to even the PC version on low settings. Plus the controls on PC feel A LOT more refined than with a controller yet it’s not too bad using one.

I think a lot of people were put off by the fact that it got horror stories with people running into problems running the game maxed out on even extremely high end rigs when it was released. If you look at VGChartz the sales after the first month jump up dramatically as people dicovered that the setting “Uber Sampling” was and still is probably one of the most demanding settings there has ever been in a game as it renders the game 4x its native resolution then downsamples to fit the desired resolution. As soon as people were made aware of this people brought it. Sad to say though that it bombed hard on consoles which is a complete shame. I think most console gamers looked at it as boring.

The first sold well and got decent reviews but it was plagued with bugs and lots of them. Which were not addressed until the enhanced edition.

The second sold poorly at first but after bug fixes, performance improvements, and some of the best reviews ever seen for (AT THE TIME) a PC exclusive title it sold very well. Sadly it bombed on consoles though.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Tormenter

@CPC_RedDawn

A bigger pile of shit I’ve never read.. I stopped reading at your clearly, ill researched first paragraph.

I love the Witcher games but I would NEVER describe their pc controls as anything else but ‘fucking shocking’.. the game, the interface is built from the ground up with a controller in mind, and to use any other input device is an exercise in self abuse. W1′s was bad because of poor design … but W2′s was bad because of console design considerations.. and that fucking blew considering the crap we were fed about it being a predominently PC game.

If your post is that far from the mark, why would I bother reading the rest of it?

#5 9 months ago
  6. wickedcricket

@1 no they won’t they are fully focused on W3 on nextgen X1/PS4 and C2077.

buuuuuut!

There is going to be a new novel (around 400 pages) about a Witcher (although It is not confirmed that it will be a Geralt sequel from the previous novels) called “Season of the Storms”. f…. yeah! :)

#6 9 months ago
  7. DSB

I played through it with M+K the first time, and that really wasn’t a hassle. Managing that awful inventory was a lot faster too.

I think the trolls from The Witcher 2 should have their own game. I’m not even kidding. They’re probably my favourite monsters of all time.

The first Witcher game was abysmal though. I believe the story is that they were looking at making an MMO, and then they changed it, and it just ended up being a thoroughly mediocre RPG.

I played through it for the story, but I don’t get how anyone can look at that game and go “Quality!”. It didn’t even have a combat system. It literally didn’t. Just select mode, and click when the sword lights up.

That’s not combat, that’s Farmville. And a lot of the quests weren’t far from it either.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Pitts

Awesome. Easily my favorite RPG of this gen. Always gets bigger and better!

Here’s hoping for a great W3!

#8 9 months ago
  9. SameeR_Fisher

@5: I totally hope so, otherwise I may never play The Witcher, and may only rent/borrow The Witcher 3.

@6: well no one asked them, so there is hope.

#9 9 months ago
  10. Hyperx64

Great work CDprojekt. Looking forward to The Witcher 3, one of my most anticipated games of 2014 – and it is Looking epic as epic.

#10 9 months ago