The Stanley Parable patch incoming to replace offensive images

Thursday, 24th October 2013 02:38 GMT By Ewan Miller

Davey Wreden, the creator of Source mod come indie meta-’em-up The Stanley Parable has announced he intends to remove images some have called insensitive from the game. The images show a white businessman alternatively offering a black child a cigarette and setting him on fire, done in mock 50′s public service announcement art. Check them after the break.

The images appear as part of a sequence discussing the nature of choice, with the game’s narrator explaining that a man “could spend years helping improve the quality of life for citizens of impoverished third-world nations or he could systematically set fire to every orphan living within a thirty kilometer radius of his house”.

After author and journalist Oliver Campbell as well as a school teacher reached out to Wreden identifying the sequence as uncomfortable, Wreden announced he would have a patch ready in the next few weeks to alter the sequence.

“I’m not exactly married to the visual gag there, it doesn’t make or break anything about that particular section, and we always wanted the game to be something that could be played by anyone of any age. If a person would feel less comfortable showing the game to their children then I’ve got no problem helping fix that!” Wreden told Kotaku, referring to the school teacher’s dissapointment that image made the game unsuitable for her students.

The Stanley Parable HD Remix released last week on Steam and has been near the top of its charts ever since, while the original mod is now several years old.

Thanks, Kotaku and Polygon.

1. DSB

The kid is obviously still smiling and enjoying himself. What’s the problem here?

#1 9 months ago
  2. RPRezo

Good thing I played it before the patch. I liked the joke. And I’m not sure how it’s less child-friendly than the suicide parts.

#2 9 months ago
  3. Sherif Saed

Hotline Miami is a really violent game you guys, I can’t share it with my 10yo student, FIX THIS SHIT.

#3 9 months ago
  4. The_Red

While I do understand that those are offensive pics, removing them via patch is censorship. Self inflicted or not, the act of censorship is more offensive to me than any racist or troubling thing within any game.

#4 9 months ago
  5. tezzer1985

As a black person, I find the image kind of off putting, but then again, it’s all about creative freedom, as long as it’s not racist I don’t see the problem.

#5 9 months ago
  6. xxJPRACERxx

BS! I will not get the game then! Or make the option for “the way it was supposed to be before idiots start complaining”.

#6 9 months ago
  7. pcbros

“we always wanted the game to be something that could be played by anyone of any age.”

This is how the game was supposed to be. If they want to change their game to meet their goal, so be it.

Criticizing a school teacher for expressing her opinion is just as bad. Let’s not overreact, I’m sure they can make a funnier scene anyways.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Bomba Luigi

No Real Child was harm, so I don’t really see the Problem. Its just a Picture for Gods Sake.

People going crazy for the stupidest Things, no matter if Games, TV or whatever. Thats why Cats can’t understand us (I’m pretty sure about that)

#8 9 months ago
  9. FatalTee

Why on earth is this picture not for children?
    It is actually very educational. For example the way USA (and its armies, their corporations) re-established recently dissolved empires after WW2. Before WW2 empires (British, French, Dutch, Spanish, Ottoman) had their colonies which they exploited quite visibly and prohibited them from developing to enrich main city/territory. USA lifted such prohibition and transformed these subservient colonies into client states. For example by selling cigarettes, alcohol made originally in such colonies but now owned by US corporations. The picture illustrates new face of enslavement which is not necessarily racially targeted – anymore – but certainly geographically and by class lines. Nowadays colonies are not geographical in terms of location, they are more socially and economically defined.

#9 9 months ago
  10. AmiralPatate

I agree, this is so offensive. Why would anyone make a kid smoke?

#10 9 months ago