Metal Gear Solid 5 may be “open-world” but it has a clear path, says Kojima

Thursday, 24th October 2013 21:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain creator Hideo Kojima has said while the game is “open-world”, don’t expect Snake to “fish all day or change jobs and pursue a different life.”

Speaking in the latest issue of Famitsu, via Polygon, Kojima said the term open-world has “taken on a life of its own and caused misunderstandings,” when it comes to MGS5.

“The game map is an open world and you have freedom in that way, but in MGS5, it’s clear what you’re doing,” said Kojima. “That may be ‘I have to help someone’ or ‘Destroy this thing’ or ‘Go gather intelligence at this spot’. Some missions will have time limits, too

“With MGS up to now, we could only build the interior of wherever you were infiltrating. How you got there was shown in a cutscene, and the player would just suddenly be in front of the entrance. Once you finished the mission, there’d be another cutscene, a helicopter or whatever would come by, and you’d escape.

“It’s not that linear games are bad [...] but really, it’d be fun if you were the one thinking about how and where to infiltrate, what sort of equipment to bring, and how to get out of there. I think the way that MGS is combined with an open world here is something that we haven’t really communicated very well yet.

“In particular, with this game, we’re building the control system and working the visual expressions for a global market to meet the needs of the North American market; that may have an impact on things too. But once you try it out, you should be able to feel like ‘Yes, this is MGS.’

“I feel that games are interactive media, and the rush comes in being able to use what you’re given freely to play. Open worlds create that for you, and I think the future of gaming lies in them.”

Metal Gear Solid 5 is in development for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and Xbox One.

1. zinc

Oh Hideo you joker!

If only it WAS cutscene – mission – cutscene! More like…

cutscene – mi – cutscene – ss – cutscene – io – cutscene – n – cutscene… You scallywag :)

#1 11 months ago
  2. pcbros

I forgot this was coming to PC! :D

@1 – The story was a huge part of the game for me, sometimes the gameplay got in the way ;)

#2 11 months ago
  3. TheDuckPortal

MGS ON PC AWGHGHGHHGHGHGHGHGHGHJGFJUHGDFUJAFLIASJFV;SG ;OERT

#3 11 months ago
  4. Panthro

So its confirmed for PC?

#4 11 months ago
  5. Erthazus

It’s not confirmed for the PC. Creator of MGS series just mentioned that he would love to do it.

#5 11 months ago
  6. TheWulf

I always felt that New Vegas got the balance of this best — right out of hte box, without any mods. It had a needs system, but it was mostly flavour just to enhance how the game felt. It also took into account both families of people and animals/creatures, so the world felt truly alive.

New Vegas was as fun to mod as any other Gamebryo game (especially that one mod where I got to raise a deathclaw from an egg), but there was much less of a need to mod it to fix it or improve the feel of the game than most other open world games of that style.

And when it comes to games designed purely for fun, I felt that Saints Row IV did that the best — with a distinct lack of frustration, no closed off areas, and collectibles marked on the map so it wouldn’t drive you crazy. That was a blast. I enjoyed that. I don’t want to be driven crazy and frustrated by games, that’s not always so fun for me.

Those are pretty much the two examples in their fields that you look at if you want to do things right. Whether it’s a survival sandbox or a for-fun one.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Erthazus

^ ?????? WTF?

#7 11 months ago
  8. Panthro

^ Think hes referring to the ‘open world – clear path’ title…

#8 11 months ago
  9. pcbros

@5 – “Metal Gear Solid 5 is in development for PC”

That is pretty solid, unless Steph made a boo-boo.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Panthro

Yeah that’s why I asked earlier on, There has been no ‘official’ announcement for the PC release, Google it.

#10 11 months ago
  11. zinc

@6 I’ve sunk countless hours into FNV on the PS3 & your (& others) tales of pc mods, makes me cry a little :’(

#11 11 months ago
  12. Panthro

You tried the lethal headshots mod?

It made the game a lot more playable for me.

#12 11 months ago
  13. Hyperx64

Can’t wait Kojima! This and The Witcher 3.

#13 11 months ago
  14. zinc

@12 LETHAL HEADSHOTS MOD?!

I hate you *sob*

Though it proves to me, that all the *fix’s* Obsidian put in to FNV to appease the epeen strokers complaining about FO3′s “OP perks & weaponsm herp derp” were misguided.

You only screwed over console gamers Obsidian! PC neckbeards istalled mods that fixed your NERFS!

#14 11 months ago
  15. OmegaSlayer

I wonder if Kojima knows what he’s doing.
    Kojima always pursued HIS vision, now he’s trying to copy someone else’s success and I don’t like that.

#15 11 months ago