Each Titanfall campaign map contains its own multiplayer mode, says Respawn

Thursday, 24th October 2013 13:10 GMT By Dave Owen

Anticipation for Titanfall is reaching fever pitch now, and a few new details have emerged from a new interview with producer Drew McCoy. It seems that each campaign map will play host to its own multiplayer game mode.

The example given is of Angel City, the map we’ve seen the most of so far. Here you’ll always play Attrition, your objective varying depending on which team you’re on. Play as the militia and you’re charged with covering a VIP’s escape. Play as a member of the Interstellar Manufacturing Corporation and your job is to kill them.

Speaking to OXM “The campaign plays the levels with their missions in a specific order to tell the story,” McCoy said. “Each campaign level has its own game mode – it’s not like you’ll play Attrition, then another time you’ll play a different mode. In the campaign, Angel City is Attrition. That’s the story for that level.”

So for now it isn’t quite clear how standard, non-campaign multiplayer will factor in. It would seem a little strange to restrict a map to only one game mode at any time, as the fun of online shooters can be working out how to use maps differently for different game modes.

“When you first start the game you will play campaign multiplayer, which takes the bits and pieces you’re used to having in single-player, like a story and characters, and big moments that contextualise what you’re doing – we’re putting that into multiplayer.”

As the March release date approaches we should hear a lot more info on exactly what game modes are going to be available.

1. zinc

You see SP lovers? There IS story! With context & stuff :)

#1 11 months ago
  2. Bomba Luigi

Well, the Reason I don’t like to play MP is because of other Humans. That Problem is still there :P

#2 11 months ago
  3. zinc

Just turn off your mic & pretend their bots… Or naked. I hear that helps :)

#3 11 months ago
  4. TrickyAudio

@2 100%

#4 11 months ago
  5. Luciferous

When March rolls around and I can see what the recommended PC specs are I’ll probably be upgrading my GPU for it… or when the PS4 release date is announced, probably august/september next year, a six month exclusive dealio with MS, I’ll buy it for that.

#5 11 months ago
  6. AmiralPatate

It’s Source Engine, so it’s probably not that demanding.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Major Mayhem 70

@Zinc
    Lol 😆

#7 11 months ago
  8. TheBlackHole

+100

Seriously, calling that a campaign is a joke.

Still looking forward to it though – just wish there was a SP mode.

#8 11 months ago
  9. G1GAHURTZ

Looks like you start off in campaign mode, where you go through every map, and play every game type. Then after that, you unlock full MP mode, and can play what you like, where you like.

Which is an interesting choice, because it should force all the noobs to play a game type they might otherwise not have tried, and might end up liking more than the TDM they usually only try.

This should also make DLC maps more interesting, because they should continue the story, or take it in a different direction.

#9 11 months ago
  10. TheBlackHole

Surely though the ‘campaign’ difficulty curve will be all kinds of fucked, because you’re never guaranteed to win, even LESS so as a ‘noob’. And without bots, what happens if not enough people are playing those maps?

Seems very weird.

#10 11 months ago
  11. zinc

@10, I believe Titanfall has bots to even out the sides? Besides *losing* the odd battle should add to the *realism* right? :)

#11 11 months ago
  12. bitsnark

@9 Think you hit the nail on the head there.

@11 And yep you’re totally right; when I played the game,the missions mix in bots alongside traditional human opponents too (the bots are identifiable as ‘Militia’ rather than by unique names or tags), to make the battles seem much larger than they otherwise would be.

Its such a funky change to the established order of things; I just can’t wait to get stuck into it some more.

#12 11 months ago
  13. zinc

@12, Did you play it at a convention, on a actual Xbone? Impressions?

#13 11 months ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

@10:

I have no idea. I’m sure they’ve got something worked out.

Besides, remember that you get a story whether you win or lose.

#14 11 months ago
  15. bitsnark

I played it at the Eurogamer Expo, where I used an Xbox 360 pad which was hooked up to a beefy PC (conversely, to allay your fears a bit, I also played Battlefield 4 on an actual Xbox One at the event and that looked stunning, so I imagine the finished article of Titanfall on XB1 will do too.)

I actually farted out a decently-sized preview article on it for the site that I write for, if you fancy taking a look – http://www.savecontinue.com/2013/10/eg-expo-2013-titanfall-hands-on-impressions/

TL:DR – I thought Titanfall was my game of the show and marks a bigger progression of the twitch-shooter sub-genre than CoD 4: MW did.

#15 11 months ago
  16. ddtd

I wonder about something; If there’s a multiplayer campaign, and two sides to the “war” or whatever, then are there two story lines to the campaign? Kind of like how Brink had alternate story lines based on what side you were on?

#16 11 months ago
  17. TheBlackHole

@14 “you get a story whether you win or lose.”

ah, okay. That’s interesting.

#17 11 months ago