DayZ Early Access appears in Steam database, Hall focused on releasing alpha

Wednesday, 23rd October 2013 16:45 GMT By Dave Owen

The standalone version of DayZ is still very much on the way, shown by the fact that “DayZ Early Access” has appeared in the Steam database. The Escapist spotted the entry, and Joystiq reached out to creator Dean Hall for comment.

“Amazing how quickly the internet picks up on things isn’t it,” he said. “All I can say is that progress has been very good, we’re a mix of nervous and excited. And as I’d stated on my twitter when I announced my break from social media/updates, we are on the final lap. Part of the final process involves the actual administration of the release, which is actually surprisingly complex and time-consuming.

“So, to confirm, there is no release date announcement and we’re 100 percent focused on getting the alpha out the door.”

1. Panthro

AHHHHHH!!!

AFTER ALL THIS FUCKING TIME!!!!

ITS COMING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it lives up to my expectations, I remember eagerly waiting for all of December last year for the alpha release and it never came…

It came to the 31st of December and I was like ‘Well… where is DayZ standalone? Christmas is ruined.’

#1 1 year ago
  2. powerbuoy

Does anyone even care at this point?

#2 1 year ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

@2, that’s what I was wondering, I think DayZ’s time has passed, especially with the many survival games that have followed (Contagion for example looks quite promising).

From what I’ve seen so far of the gameplay it doesn’t look much better than the original, it’s the same old clunky game.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Panthro

@2 It takes time to make a game, anyone so impatient enough to just disregard it because they had to wait a little longer is stupid.

For the people excited to play the standalone, and I’m sure there is a lot of them, having to wait shouldn’t be a problem, especially since the mod still gets updated with new features.

@3 Have you ever seen alpha footage of any game that didn’t look clunky?

#4 1 year ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

@4, yup.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Panthro

@5 Examples?

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

The ArmA 2 engine was always a dreadful mess. Bohemia are masters of finding new ways to fuck shit up. And it’s kinda shameful how poorly optimized it is. ArmA III runs better on the same specs.

I don’t know anyone who’s been in the OFP community since the OFP days who doesn’t absolutely hate the tech. Even if we love playing soldiers with it, it just does your head in. All the scripting and all the un-fucking of the AI, broken scripting commands, and catering to all the random shit that just seems to happen because “AI”.

@3 Yeah, I think there’s still an audience from the hype days that’ll still get on board, but it’s gonna be slim pickings.

The engine was never designed to do any kind of melee, and it seems even though the devs have tried, they haven’t bridged that gap.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Erthazus

Hate the tech? Oh yeah. It’s the only tech that has the best drawing disatances.

#8 1 year ago
  9. UuBuU

@3 That ‘same old clunky game’ is still the best openworld survival game out there.

The trend followers who bought into all the youtube hype will probably move on to the next big thing and forget about DayZ. Good riddance to them as i’m sure it’s this same group of people who whined relentlessly on the DayZ internet forums about dark nights, starting without a gun, and other hardcore realism elements. These are the kind of people who would be perfectly happy for DayZ to veer even more towards being an openworld PvP deathmatch game.

Gamers who whine that DayZ doesn’t have polished gameplay or visuals are also unwelcome and should stick to playing GTA or the next big budget triple A release.

I’m expecting the DayZ standalone to have a smaller, but more mature and dedicated group of core fans.

#9 1 year ago
  10. GwynbleiddiuM

@8 You gotta admit though, everything in ArmA II felt rusty and not clear. This has been hugely improved with ArmA III’s tech.

#10 1 year ago
  11. SadisticLemming

I am happy to see this finally release, however with the mods that are currently supported by dayZ such as Origins and Epoch, is this Vanilla version going to satisfy my DayZ needs.

@9 I will see you there ;D

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

@8 That’s delightfully absurd.

“Nevermind the fact that it’s buggy as hell and runs like crap, because dude, it has the farthest draw distances”

Yes. That really does solve everything.

Although I really don’t see how that’s even remotely an achievement. Anyone can extend the draw distance, not anyone can make it run properly. Obviously, including Bohemia.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Panthro

Works fine on my rig, I get a steady 50frames per second on the mod.

And as far as the Arma II campaign goes I have never had any problems and usually get 60+ frames; but yeah, when it comes to to mod thats a different story because after all; its a mod… And a multiplayer mod with features added that the engine wasn’t built for.
    And it was never touted as a full release, if I’m not mistaken the mod was in alpha/beta as well… Its been a while since I’ve looked.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DSB

@14 I don’t know your rig, but even on a high end rig when the game came out, it was unplayable on the highest settings. I don’t know if it’s the objects or the textures, but it was just silly.

It was perfectly playable on lower settings, and of course you could always play with the draw distance, but personally I prefer games that use the hardware properly instead of making a high end rig feel like a medium one.

It’s kinda silly that ArmA III is less demanding, while looking a lot better and offering improved physics. They simply didn’t do a very good job on ArmA and ArmA II.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Panthro

Surely if you don’t care about graphics, turning the settings down a little bit wouldn’t matter ;)

I think its the cities assets and all the processing behind the Zombie AI that are the worst they always make peoples rig set on fire in the mod, I just set the AA to medium and shadows to medium, post processing medium and everything else on the highest and it all works fine, and I don’t have a nasa computer either ;)

#15 1 year ago