Titanfall: “This has to be perfect,” says producer amid industry ‘stagnation’

Tuesday, 22nd October 2013 10:48 GMT By Dave Cook

Titanfall producer Drew McCoy feels that the stagnation of new ideas in the games industry, and hype surrounding the shooter has placed pressure on Respawn Entertainment to produce something that captures everyone’s attention once more. “This has to be perfect,” he has said.

McCoy’s comments follow this new Titanfall screenshot and tease on Twitter. Many gamers out there believe that tomorrow’s reveal concerns the shooter’s beta phase. We’ll update once we know more.

Now, speaking with MMGN, McCoy said of the studio’s pressure and hype surrounding Titanfall, “We think about it all the time. I think the next generation makes it a little bit harder. It’s been eight years since the last generation started, so people are just clamouring for new hardware. New experiences.

“I think the last few years, games have stagnated a lot. People are holding back their new, big ideas. Gamers feel that. They know that. They’re waiting. All they want is that next awesome thing to grab on to . What better time than now? It’s like, oh man, we can’t screw this up. Especially when we came out of E3 with that sort of great response. We came out of there really excited, but also realising, ‘Oh man, we can’t drop the ball on this’. This has to be perfect.”

He’s not got much to worry about. I played Titanfall and spoke with McCoy recently and found the game to be quite superb. Check out my impressions and interview here.

Via OXM.

1. dsr

Industry stagnated?
    Lets release a COD clone with Mechs!

Nice thinking, Einstein.

What’s next? GTA clone with superpowers? That would be novel! Oh, wait we already got that.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Dave Cook

@1 Totally not a CoD clone. Have you played it?

#2 11 months ago
  3. Bomba Luigi

Sorry lad, Perfection will never be reached. But as long as you close enough to it thats fine.

#3 11 months ago
  4. bitsnark

@1 Absolutely not a CoD clone. Not at all.

#4 11 months ago
  5. foofly

I think I might be the only person who thinks this looks really, really boring.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Compared to what? Or do you just not like FPS games?

#6 11 months ago
  7. foofly

@6 I don’t really like online FPS’s much. Titanfall looks like it’s a combination of Hawken, COD and Planetside without the depth of any of them. It might be better to play than what I’ve currently seen, but at the moment it’s another boring space marine game.

#7 11 months ago
  8. redwood

@2 At it’s core it’s a multiplayer fps shooter, so there is very little new to it. it might not be a cod clone but it ain’t new either.

#8 11 months ago
  9. zoopdeloop

space marines,no single player,parkour…yawn
    i”d much prefer another 5 hours of single player high velocity sliding of Vanquish than this

#9 11 months ago
  10. G1GAHURTZ

@8:

Every game isn’t new ‘at its core’.

Every game is a part of one genre, or contains elements from two or more genres.

To say “it ain’t new” means that every other game released in the last 15-18 years “ain’t new” either.

Pick a game… Any game released since 1998, and I’ll tell you how it’s been done before, and “ain’t new”.

#10 11 months ago
  11. CPC_RedDawn

Whilst I am extremely excited to actual play the game and see how the parkour effects the gameplay.

Though I do think certain elements look like they will get repetitive. I like the idea and the fact it uses Source engine so I am looking forward to the mods if they will allow it!? :D

#11 11 months ago
  12. Vryxal

@10 Totally agree with you.

Overall this looks like a fun game. Really excited to try it out!

#12 11 months ago
  13. VibraniumSpork

Just an observation, but it looks like it’s only the people who haven’t played it (I’m one of them, unfortunately) who call this out as a COD clone; those who have seem to have a completely different impression.

From what I’ve seen of Titanfall it at least brings fresh ideas to the top-tier FPS space (which can only be a good thing) and seems to execute those ideas well. I’ll still wait for a few reviews, but so far the hype train’s got me lustin’ for the inevitable Titanfall/XB1 bundle – hopefully the console gets a Titanfall paint-job, love that kinda thing.

#13 11 months ago
  14. DrDamn

“… seems to execute those ideas well.”

I think that’s a massive point in looking at Titanfall. You may well have seen elements in other games but Respawn have clearly executed it with a high degree of skill. It looks exquisitely slick. That in itself can make a game stand head and shoulders above those which inspired it.

#14 11 months ago
  15. bradk825

I didn’t think of it before, but he’s right. It would be bad for creativity in the industry if Titanfall failed. They are doing something new and interesting, and if it isn’t done right so that it’s loved by gamers, that will only serve to increase the “play it safe” mentality of devs these days.

At least that’s what I think. I’m also not a sales analyst so, you know, take it with a grain of salt.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Joe Musashi

It won’t be perfect.

But we’ll be assured that the sequel will be even closer to perfection.

JM

#16 11 months ago
  17. VibraniumSpork

@16 And that’s okay in my book (not sure if your statement was positive/negative/neither ^_^).

I think some games lend themselves well to the promise of improvements in sequels, Payday being the most prominent in my mind. The first was rough around the edges, the second similarly so but with a few much needed and enjoyable improvements. With some huge money tossed at it for a next-gen version I reckon that franchise could be on its way to a well-deserved spot among the AAAs.

#17 11 months ago
  18. Llewelyn_MT

It may not be a CoD clone, but it’s hardly revolutionary. From what I’ve read it plays very much like Hawken. That’s good, because it’s a great game, not to mention free to play. (Hawken may not have infantry, but it does have three distinct mech sizes and emphasizes verticality.)

#18 11 months ago
  19. Ireland Michael

Yeah, I’m sorry, but… beating stagnation by releasing a first person shooter with robots?

If that’s considered a fresh idea, lord save us.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Phoenixblight

Get your facts straight they are big giant robots. :P

#20 11 months ago
  21. TheBlackHole

No, it doesn’t play like Hawken. It really doesn’t.

#21 11 months ago
  22. DSB

If you don’t like to get your pulse up and you don’t like shooters, I can see how this might look boring.

But if you do, then I don’t see how you can ignore it.

I was pretty skeptical at first, but reading previews kinda puts it into perspective. The role of the mechs is to attract the players from both sides. More than being a weapon meant to make your cock feel bigger, they’re a setpiece you have to react to.

The friendlies want to hide behind it and protect it, and the opposing team obviously wants to bring it down.

I don’t recall any other game really pulling that off, aside from maybe Planetside, and in this case it’s gonna be a lot more intuitive to center around the mechs (knowing IW, there’ll be a huge point reward for doing the right thing) and the maps will be considerably smaller, so the designers have a much better opportunity to make the experience deliberate.

If there’s anything the old Infinity Ward guys know, it’s how to make a multiplayer map.

It’ll probably “feel” a lot like CoD, but the fact that you can run on walls and jump higher means that it’s likely gonna be CoD on steroids.

Together with awesome details, such as the losing team getting a chance to “extract” once the round is lost, I actually have a lot more faith in Respawn than any other shooter developer out there. It sounds brilliant on paper.

#22 11 months ago