Ikaruga secures Steam release, but dev faces “hand to hand fight” over language barriers

Tuesday, 22nd October 2013 09:23 GMT By Dave Cook

Ikaruga developer Treasure has successfully passed the Steam Greenlight voting process and is bringing the shooter to Valve’s store soon. It’s good news for fans of the game, but the Japanese studio has stressed that language barriers between both companies are making the procedure something of a “hand to hand fight.”

Steam Greenlight voting for Ikaruga started a fortnight ago and recently saw success, as confirmed on the Treasure Twitter feed.

Now, Siliconera reports that the Japanese-speaking studio has struggled with Valve’s legal contract, which is written entirely in English. The studio proclaimed the translation process a “Hand to hand fight,” but isn’t letting it stop the process.

It added in a subsequent tweet, “It is entirely a company’s important mission to fight hand-to-hand with contracts.” They seem happy to do it, especially if it means bringing Ikaruga to a new audience.

Speaking of which, are you keen to get Ikaruga on Steam? Check out the game’s store page and new features here.

1. mistermogul

Damn game, never did beat it :(

#1 1 year ago
  2. Fin

Imma buy the FUCK out of this. Great game.
    It def needs a) controller support; b) mac support.

Dude, it’s awesome!
    Though I think I had to wait until I unlocked like 10 continues (based on cumulative high score I think?) before I was able :/

#2 1 year ago
  3. AttilioCarotenuto

#3 1 year ago
  4. mistermogul

@2 – well played, you obviously have more shooty skillz than I do!

Indeed an awesome game though. I remember feeling like my head was literally going to explode after playing this for a while!

#4 1 year ago
  5. kupocake

@1 You don’t beat Ikaruga, it beats you. Not that I would know if it’s possible to truly beat it, considering that one credit gets me only as far as the fourth level on easy.

Can’t wait for this. Hope the process doesn’t put them off releases for some of their other Xbox 360 re-releases (Radiant Silvergun, obviously, but also Guardian Heroes).

#5 1 year ago
  6. ctankep

Tatei mode or bust.

#6 1 year ago
  7. caddybear

I’ll buy it, if only to make more Japanese devs release their stuff for the rest of us.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dirk

Where’s the likes of Border Down?

#8 1 year ago