Dragon’s Dogma 2: possibility of PS4 sequel ‘growing’, director also keen for Devil May Cry 5

Tuesday, 22nd October 2013 09:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon’s Dogma director Hideaki Itsuno has expressed interest in a PS4 sequel to his original RPG-action romp. He’s also interested in working on Rival Schools 3 and Devil May Cry 5.

Speaking with PlayStation Japan’s community site, Itsuno said, “In my head, I have a story and setting for the next one, but it’s not one that can be easily done… (laughs). For example, voices say “coming for PS4!” and it seems to happen quite a whole lot. The possibility to be able to make it might to be growing (laughs).

“In addition to that, I want to also make a miniature garden simulation, as well as make more games for (established) series such as “Rival Schools 3” and “Devil May Cry 5.” Later on, I would even like to make a game that captures authentic fighting and, such as Street Fighter II did, to develop a new genre of fighting games.

“Inside of me there are a lot of things I want to make, and because there are already concepts, there might be a chance! I have this feeling (laughs).”

What do you make of the above? Is there a fighting chance Dragon’s Dogma 2 could come to PS4? After all, Capcom is favouring Sony’s format with the release of Deep Down.

Itsuno isn’t afraid to speak his mind – as you can see in my delightful interview with him from last year – so this could all just be wishful thinking on his part.

That said, what do you think?

Via DualShockers & MFBB.

1. GwynbleiddiuM

Somebody’s fishing for an exclusivity deal, Itsuno-san you naughty naughty boy.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Luciferous

I LOVED Dragon’s Dogma.

The idea of a sequel fills me with happy feelings, that type of idea with next gen power behind it could be AMAZING.

If it’s only existing as ideas in his head at the moment it will be a long way off if it becomes a reality… Sigh.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Scared

I would totally get behind a DMC5, as long as capcom doesn’t try to make it ‘appeal more to western audiences’. A true DMC5.

#3 11 months ago
  4. tezzer1985

Dragons Dogma, is the only IP in my eyes that can still grow and expand on what the original did.

DMC is also an IP that needs to be put in the vault and revisited in the far future, if DMC4 & the reboot DMC couldn’t spark life into it, this gen, I don’t see what will. In my opinion Capcom are a company that is living off it’s PS2 days rep, and after having such a awful time this gen, next gen is make or break for them.

#4 11 months ago
  5. ctankep

Yeah bit sad that –
    C’mon Itsuno ., DMC is done & “Rival Schools” can wait.
    I wish they would abandon all hope o’ F2P an’ roll Panta Rhei
    dvelopment into a co -op sequel for “Dragon’s Dogma”.

#5 11 months ago
  6. YoungZer0

Ugh, DMC5? No thanks. Not interested in going back to the shitty one-liners, inferior character and demon design, terrible camera, bland environments and a story that doesn’t make any sense and is not linked to the previous games.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Templar_Dante

Panta Rhei game engine= collaboration with SCEJ engineers. Thats why dead rising 3 uses MT Frame engine. PS4 capcom exclusive = Panta Rhei game

#7 11 months ago
  8. MFBB

Dragons Dogma 2 would be great.

Better balancing, new graphic engine.

Dont care much about Deep Down, the combat system/gameplay seems to boring for me.

#6 yeah I also lost interest in Devil May Cry, they changed it so much.

#8 11 months ago
  9. freedoms_stain

Been playing Dragons Dogma the last couple of weeks, really enjoying it. Holding my attention a lot better than most other RPG’s I’ve played this gen.

I kind of like that if you try and leave the beaten track too early you basically get butt fucked by giant monsters.

#9 11 months ago
  10. OmegaSlayer

Japanese developed DMC5 = take ALL my money.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Clupula

Hearing Capcom mention DMC5 makes me all sorts of happy.

Always nice to see a company learning from their mistakes, of which DmC was a huge one. Definitely one of the reasons the company is in such dire straits these days, financially.

#11 11 months ago
  12. Agt_Pendergast

Save me from these poorly developed western piles of garbage, Itsuno!

#12 11 months ago
  13. fihar

Get a better writer and please, for the love of God, learn what it means to actually create a lore.
    I liked Dark Arisen a lot but it screams style over substance.
    The Suikoden series was pretty much the only JRPG I’ve ever played that has a grasp of understanding of what world-building actually meant.
    The Devil is always in the details.

There’s one way to get around that actually. I borrowed a friend’s pawn that is already at max level right at the first Rifstone and Voila!

#13 11 months ago
  14. Kamen Rider Zero

YES!!! Itsuno-sama, it would be a dream come true if you really announce DMC5 exclusively for PS4 & XBOX ONE! I’ve really lost interest towards Dragon’s Dogma and Rival Schools because to me, its boring as hell! DMC IS NOT DONE YET! I REPEAT! DEVIL MAY CRY IS NOT DONE YET! TO ALL DMC FANS HERE, LETS SUPPORT ITSUNO-SAMA TO MAKE DMC5! I’ve been waiting for so very long!

DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5! DMC5!

#14 11 months ago
  15. yeoung

Dragons Dogma II needs to happen.

Been playing the Dark Arisen expansion by way of PS Plus and seriously.. I find myself really, really loving it despite the exceeding amount of questionable design decisions. The combat system is a blast, the vocation system is excellent and the world is nicely designed.

for the sequel I’d like to have class/vocation based skills, rather than equipment based skills, the ability to tame a Griffon and ride it and a weapon crafting system. Perhaps a slight graphics update seeing as they seem to be using 256 textures which is understandable, considering it’s Capcom first actual open world foray, but it could be improved.

Dragon’s Dogma bridges the gap between Skyrim and Kingdoms of Amalur perfectly.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Dirk

Dragon’s Dogma 2 and Devil May Cry 5 sound good to me.

I really want a 2D Capcom vs SNK 3, I love the 2nd game despite half the roster being worthless and unbalanced.

#16 11 months ago
  17. theredlightning

If Capcom makes a Dragon’s Dogma 2, they need to remove the horrendous romance system from Dragon’s Dogma. I was left in utter shock seeing my Arisen having making out with the blacksmith. I never even had my Arisen show any sign of interest in that guy, yet he shows up as the “love choice” at the game’s original story’s climax? My girlfriend laughed her ass off seeing this happen.

Second play-through, my Arisen hooked up with Selene? Well, Selene was way better than that blacksmith and his manly arms. Then again, I still failed to see how the romance system works in the game, and hope it won’t be included in the sequel.

#17 11 months ago