PlayStation “Since ’95″ video charts the brand’s rise in the UK

Monday, 21st October 2013 11:15 GMT By Dave Owen

You’ve probably heard that PlayStation 4 is launching soon. As part of an ongoing promotional campaign, Sony has released a short film that aims to “represent what PlayStation has meant to Britain since 1995.” Titled ‘Since ’95′, the film is a little slice of nostalgia.

Fans are encouraged to pay particular attention to the order that the PlayStation symbols appear in.

PlayStation 4 hits shelves in the UK on November 29.

1. fengato

I can relate to that.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

Oh playing the nostalgia cards, well a little strange Driveclub/Watch Dogs are present considering the delays but are actually still part of the line-up.

So not totally strange.

#2 9 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Changed the gaming landscape through FMV intros and marketing.

Made lots of shit games (Toshinden, Ridge Racer etc…) seem amazing through controversial advertising and product placement.

That’s how I remember the PS1. Still loved it though.

#3 9 months ago
  4. fengato

PS1 was all about Tekken for me – back when polygons were king. :D Gran Turismo was the next big obsession, but yeah that system was a bit light on in some respects.

Funny that the game they used for PS2 (RE4) was originally a Gamecube exclusive (and technically much better on the Nintendo system too.)

#4 9 months ago
  5. polygem

oh boy this looks exactly like hattys place. if you read this man, are you still alive? stop smoking dat cheap dope!
    i played tekken a lot on the playstations, lots of other stuff too of course. i bought one used from a friend and i bought a ps2 in it´s mid gen…i still don´t feel nostalgic about most ps games or the brand in general. it´s strange but that´s how it is.

#5 9 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

“i still don´t feel nostalgic about most ps games or the brand in general. it´s strange but that´s how it is.”

Same here, it was prob all that dope! ;)

#6 9 months ago
  7. Lv01

why was the order the playstation symbols appear in important..?

#7 9 months ago
  8. fengato

Videos, televisions, 64′s, Playstations
    Weigh up Henry with precision
    Few herbs and a bit of Benson
    But don’t forget the Rizla
    Lean like the Tower of Pisa
    These are, I’ll raise yer
    And this is the day in the life of a Geezer

Has it come to this… o o o ohh

#8 9 months ago
  9. monkeygourmet

When ‘The a Streets’ were good! :)

#9 9 months ago
  10. fengato

^ Couldn’t agree more

#10 9 months ago
  11. TheBlackHole

Twenty years of gaming. Same fucking controller.

…and yes, I’ve tried the DS4. It’s slightly fatter, but it’s still not ergonomic, or suitable for anyone who has moderately sized hands.

#11 9 months ago
  12. TheBlackHole

Also, watching him turn the console (PS4) on by hand reminded me how backwards that process is.

It’s the small things that make a difference.

#12 9 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

It was okay before 3D games became popular. That was about 18 years ago though…

#13 9 months ago
  14. dizzygear

Poor PSP and Vita get no mention.

Leaving those PS1 cases on the ground like that was a great way for them to get stepped on and cracked. Allot of stores here actually sold spare PS1 jewel cases because they were so damn fragile.

#14 9 months ago
  15. tenthousandgothsonacid

@11 stop bleating it’s entirely subjective

I love the Dualshock to bits and can’t get on with the xbox controller.

There is no correct controller it’s just what ever you like.

#15 9 months ago
  16. Panthro

Well chances are you would be changing the disc anyway/ grabbing the controller anyway, so not really backwards at all.

Is complaining about turning on a console through the power button that really backwards? or is it just laziness…

#16 9 months ago
  17. TrickyAudio

My god that was brilliant. Some memories there.

#17 9 months ago
  18. TrickyAudio

Also, you can turn on the PS4 via the controller, anyway? Or am I missing the point. The video just wanted to focus on the PS4 itself.

#18 9 months ago
  19. TheBlackHole

“There is no correct controller it’s just what ever you like.”

Are you really suggesting that nobody should ever have an opinion because absolutely anything is subjective and cannot be considered right or wrong, good or bad?

Mmm.

#19 9 months ago
  20. Panthro

I think he just wanted to target something to complain about…

And yes, you can still turn on the console via the controller.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Panthro

Hes simply stating that one controller cant please everybody and the controllers people use are subjective to their personal preference.
    People are happy with Dualshocks…
    People are happy in M/KB…
    People are happy with 360 pads…

How are you struggling to understand that?

#21 9 months ago
  22. mistermogul

@8 lol, they were the days mate ;)

#22 9 months ago
  23. TheBlackHole

My point was that the PS controller hasn’t changed much in 20 years and that Sony are playing it safe.

Apparently that’s not an acceptable viewpoint. And I’m unsure why you feel the need to wade in.

#23 9 months ago
  24. absolutezero

Does anyone else fancy a domino’s pizza right now?

I sure do enjoy domino’s pizza with the fresh toppings and delicious base.

#24 9 months ago
  25. Fin

Slick but jesus bro, get a double bed for your room!

#25 9 months ago
  26. Joe Musashi

“My point was that the PS controller hasn’t changed much in 20 years..”

There’s evidence to refute that. Perhaps it’s just not changed enough for your liking?

JM

#26 9 months ago
  27. Panthro

Its a public forum, I can wade in whatever I like.

He thinks the Dual-shock is fine the way it is… You don’t.

I don’t care either way for it, its just another gamepad to me.

You are the person complaining about them not changing the controller, but why should they? console gamers who are used to the PS3 controller wouldn’t want Sony to drastically modify it as the Dual-shock isn’t just a ‘game-pad’ for them its also an icon for the company, they can only modify it so much as to not lose its appearance and feeling for the people who like it.

#27 9 months ago
  28. TheBlackHole

I appreciate the DS4 has changed the most (before that you’d be hard pressed to argue that the core build, shape and size, had altered much at all since 1995), but no, I don’t think fattening the handles and altering the triggers shows much of an attempt at improvement over two decades.

and to be clear, I’m not talking about features, like touch screen and share buttons, I’m talking about the ergonomics.

#28 9 months ago
  29. Lv01

@14 there is a vita on the floor during the PS4 section!

#29 9 months ago
  30. gomersoul

The dual shock 4 is awesome, it is better in every way than the dual shock 3. Millions of people like the pad, drastically changing it would be a bad move. It’s what separates PlayStation from other consoles, and peoples hands haven’t changed much in 20 years so why should the game pad? Get a mad cats or something if it’s that big an issue, but I reckon 90% of people who play will think it’s the best attempt at a pad there is. Awesome video too, brought back the old days

#30 9 months ago
  31. Joe Musashi

@28 Given the number of Dual Shocks that must have been in gamer’s hands over that 20 year period, and given the evolution of the ergonomics of a human hand over that same 20 year period, Sony must clearly think they’re doing something right.

I guess, for users that disagree, third-party peripheral manufacturers will be happy to take their money.

JM

#31 9 months ago
  32. Lv01

@32 +1.

Sony’s playstation controller (going back before the dual shock, to the original PS controller) changed the way a game controller should be. it revolutionised the gamepad, and is one of the reasons the PS became so popular. and as #27 says, it was/is iconic.
    in terms of the debate as to what fits an individuals taste… well, thats the individuals opinion. personally, i love Sony’s controllers, and the dual shock works perfectly well for me. id have been upset if they changed it. in fact, when those banana shaped prototype ‘leaks’ came out around the time of the PS3 launch for a redesigned controller, i got angry. how dare they change their shape… but thats my opinion.

#32 9 months ago
  33. Ireland Michael

@11 “Twenty years of gaming. Same fucking controller.

Seriously, all this tells me is that they have NO interest in disturbing the status quo, because it’s definitely NOT a case of ‘if it aint broke’.”

That’s a bit limiting, isn’t it? 3D gaming. Social gaming. Pioneering media formats. Greater focus on creative ideas over sequelitis and the same tired genres again and again.

I agree on the controller a fair bit, but let’s not forget there was a time when it was the best there was, and when it wasn’t the status quo. And it gave us dual thumb sticks.

They had a few missteps along the way (missing the boat on online gaming being the worst), but its hard to deny how much the original PS1 completely changed the gaming landscape (for the better), and how strong their influence has been over the years.

Many of us still remember a time when Sony wasn’t even a contender in the race. Nobody ever thought they’d be the leader of it for two hardware generations. And it’s my bet they they’re going to completely steal this gen from the X1.

@14 “Poor PSP and Vita get no mention.”

They’re both shown being played in the video.

#33 9 months ago
  34. dizzygear

@30 Thats not where a Vita belongs!

@34 “They’re both shown being played in the video.”

Must have missed it. I only saw the Vita on the floor. They could have at least shown their names at the end as well. Sony should really acknowledge those 2 more.

#34 9 months ago
  35. Lv01

@35, o, i agree, it shouldnt be on the floor! it should be in their hands!!

#35 9 months ago
  36. Ireland Michael

@35 One of the guys is playing a PSP (with a girl watching him) during the PS3 segment.

It does seem odd that they’d leave out the names at the end though.

#36 9 months ago
  37. TheBlackHole

@34 Some good points, conceded.

Seriously though, the two people suggesting that “peoples hands haven’t changed much in 20 years so why should the game pad?”

That has to be one of the worst arguments I’ve ever heard. I’m pretty sure people’s hands haven’t changed since the NES, but I’m sure you’re not all going to call that the pinacle of controller design.

There is ALWAYS room for improvement.

#37 9 months ago
  38. Joe Musashi

And it has improved. But demanding change for the sake of change is folly.

JM

#38 9 months ago
  39. Ireland Michael

@39 Nobody wants change for the sake of change. It still looks and feel like a second rate controller. @38 is right. Its way behind. The DS4 still doesn’t babe proper triggers, for crying out loud.

#39 9 months ago
  40. fearmonkey

@38 – We get it, you Like MS, hate Sony….

I never liked the Dualshocks, always preferred the Xbox Controllers (I even liked The Duke). The reviews and opinions I have read on the PS4 controller so far is its awesome, especially for people that didn’t like the previous Dualshocks.

Dave Cook here likes it, and he also preferred the 360 controller. It’s opinions like that and others on Youtube and other sites that make me think people are going to like the new controller alot.

It’s funny, I expected everyone to go crazy about the Xbox One controller, as it looks very nice. But many commenters on it don’t like it as much as I would have thought, it’s too light, thumbpad still not as good as a dualshock, etc etc.

it’s all a personal preference, I am hoping to like them both, as I will be getting both eventually.

#40 9 months ago
  41. Prof Power Glove

Wow. PS4 is definitely the BROMANCE console of choice!!

Some classic stuff right there. Apparently it also used that famous study in the Nature journal which statistically proved that the PS3 console was when female gamers were finally allowed to touch a console (momentarily, mind). That was a huge step forward for equality amongst gamers. Today, we can stand here proud, gentlemen, proud that Sony are opening up gamers for everyone. Everyone that’s a guy.

#41 9 months ago
  42. DrDamn

How does it not have proper triggers?

I think both new controllers have some interesting aspects to them. Neither are major departures but the touch pad and redesign of the DS4 and rumble triggers in the X1 controller. The rumble triggers seem like a small change but will be really good used cleverly.

#42 9 months ago
  43. monkeygourmet

I hate the DS3. Was playing Infamous 2 the other day and the sticks are sooooo loose and tall, it was terrible. Really bad combination.

Also, they should have moved the left stick to where the DPad is IMO. 3 small changes that I think could make the pad alot better.

DS4 looks like a big improvement, still not convinced about the left stick position though. It was fine on the PS1 as alot of games still used the dPad, now it seems mental to still have it there…

#43 9 months ago
  44. tezzer1985

That video is me…I’ve had every Sony console, and may it long continue

#44 9 months ago
  45. pcbros

@40 – The DS4 now has concave triggers. Not sure if that’s what you were referring to.

I tried both and besides the dual analog placement, I think the DS4 has really improved. It felt really solid in my hands. I think the micro touchpad seems tacked on but maybe we will see some proper use for it.

I think Sony should suck it up and change the dual stick placement. I think they don’t because of pride. The current design puts preference on the d-pad. Which was alright when analog sticks were first introduced and people were still using the d-pad heavily but times have changed.

Think about it, the first PS controller had a d-pad on one extreme and face buttons on the other. It was the ideal placement. It’s only fitting that ever since analog sticks have become the preferred input method in most games, it should now occupy the spot the d-pad did.

@45 – Me too. I even owned the PSP (no Vita). I actually still have my PSOne w/ attached LCD up and running 8)

#45 9 months ago
  46. DrDamn

I think the touch pad will come into its own used in things like text input and selection mechanisms.

#46 9 months ago
  47. monkeygourmet

Also, best thing about this video:

The Black / Cement Nike Air Jordan 3′s that kid has… Lucky mofo!

Or maybes thats just because I collect trainers! :)

#47 9 months ago
  48. pcbros

@47 – If it can recognize handwritten letters, that would be cool.

#48 9 months ago
  49. Keivz

Nice video. Dude needs to find a new place though. Seriously, nearly two decades in the same small flat? Dafuq?!

#49 9 months ago
  50. Ireland Michael

@50 Personally, I’m more impressed by how well they’ve aged. I want to know what their secret is!

#50 9 months ago
  51. DrDamn

Yoshida seemed to use it in the GamesCom opening bit where he tweeted a picture. Virtual keyboard plus marker where your finger is. That combined with SWYPE would be great.

#51 9 months ago
  52. TrickyAudio

Nerd Moment: I wonder if thats the actual PS4 boot up sound. Would love if it was something like the old PS1 graphic. Now that WOULD be going back to the brand’s roots.

#52 9 months ago