Nintendo officially halts Wii production

Monday, 21st October 2013 11:59 GMT By Dave Owen

Nintendo Japan has announced that it has ceased production of its fifth home console. In it’s last official sales total it was confirmed that 100.04 million Wii units had been sold worldwide, the company’s best selling home console. A message on the Nintendo Japan website reads: “manufacturing has ended.”

The Wii’s sales figures are bettered only by the Game Boy and the DS.

It’s an incredible figure by any standards, but especially given that most of those sales came within the first few years of the console’s lifespan. It took Xbox 360 far longer to reach similar sales.

Wii was criticised by many for leaning too far toward ‘casual’ game experiences which didn’t appeal to core audiences. Undoubtedly it was this appeal that made it so successful. It’s worth remembering though that the console was also home to Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword, MadWorld, Xenoblade Chronicles, and Monster Hunter Tri, as well as a host of other first party favourites.

The focus now for Nintendo is to turn around the fortunes of Wii U, which, despite a year’s head start on PS4 and Xbox One, has failed to find much of an audience. With important first party games incoming, we should get an idea this holiday season of what the beleaguered platform’s future may hold.

Thanks, CVG.

1. Legendaryboss

Oh no.

#1 11 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Translation:

“We have ran out of the tape that sticks the 2 gamecubes together…”

#2 11 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

It’s a great console though, and thankfully still lives on in Wii U and the Dolphin Emulator (make sure you buy the games though!)

#3 11 months ago
  4. fengato

@2 Nah, they just ran out of mildly overclocked Gamecubes.

#4 11 months ago
  5. The_Red

I’d say rest in peace but then again, that’s the last thing I want for this horrible excuse of a console. Aside from a select number of gems (Mario Galaxies and such), this is pretty much the worst console Nintendo has ever made and an insult to the glory days of SNES and NES.

#5 11 months ago
  6. monkeygourmet

Not having HD made it ‘age’ really badly, still it has quite a few classic games with great art design.

The main thing I take away from it is ‘couch co-op’. Even with a 360 / PS3 in the room, whenever friends were over, it was the Wii that got switched on.

#6 11 months ago
  7. The_Red

My problem isn’t just with the HD but the whole motion gaming thing. Imagine if Nintendo had done this with SNES: Instead of a the great console, we would have gotten a slightly upgrated NES with a mandatory Power-glove.

That said, there is no denying the quality of some Wii games. The problem with is that those games were great / superb despite Wii and not because of it. Both Donkey Kong CR and Mario Galaxy games were worse because of stupid Wii-mote rules.

It really was fun at parties though so, there’s that :)

#7 11 months ago
  8. fengato

@7 Summed it up perfectly. The NES Power Glove analogy is spot on.

#8 11 months ago
  9. monkeygourmet

I know what you mean, I did actually enjoy the Wiimote for Mario Galaxy though. I liked the ‘tactile’ feeling it gave you within the games environment.

#9 11 months ago
  10. Panthro

Another Nintendo thread, another bunch of next gen elitists complaining.

The Wii did what it was expected to, it sold incredibly well and it was fun for families to play, meaning 2 parents and a few kids under 12…

Families who only want to play Wii sports and a bit of Mario don’t need a 1080p resolution to do so, they simply don’t care about that.

Come to think of it, neither did we 10 years ago… Its wasn’t ‘needed’ for 9/10 games that were on the Wii, sure it would have been nice to have but the sales figures proved that people who wanted the console didnt really give a fuck about HD back then.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Bomba Luigi

Yeah, the Motion Controlls could be a Pain in the Ass. But damn, the Wii had some pretty good Games like Galaxy and Xenoblade. And some hidden Gems too, I for example very liked Fragile Dreams.

It wasn’t the best Hardware, and Motion Controlls sucks for the most part, but it had some very good Games and I had a good Time playing them. So in the End, I’m happy that I have a Wii.

#11 11 months ago
  12. mistermogul

@7 +1

As the Wii generation went on I got more and more fed up/annoyed with motion controls to the point where I am today in that they just put me off wanting to play any game.

I really enjoyed the Zelda’s on Wii, Mario Galaxy, DKCR etc but I would have enjoyed them even more if waggle wasn’t tacked on…

#12 11 months ago
  13. fengato

^ And the crazy thing is that they forced everyone to play that way. They could have easily offered classic controller support – now those good games are forever tainted by a fad that Nintendo no longer pursues.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Joe Musashi

@12 I especially agree with regards to DKCR – which is my favourite Wii game. The waggle-roll function was horrible. Especially with DKCR’s standard level of challenge being pretty high. Hopefully the forthcoming DKC:TF will not be compromised the same way.

JM

#14 11 months ago
  15. Cobra951

@10: That’s unfair, unless every long-time Nintendo fan is an elitist. I fully agree with The_Red (#7). We would have preferred good tactile controls over the forced waggle. The Wiimote has its virtues. Metroid Prime 3 is a lonely example of what direct pointing can do in first-person games. But then it went nowhere. Nintendo does very little in the first-person realm. Otherwise stellar games like the Galaxy’s and Zelda: SS were more of a chore to control than a joy. Nintendo felt obligated to push the waggle even where it clearly wasn’t necessary, or advantageous–or even any fun. And the button layout is horrendous, even when we did get to use buttons.

Ceasing production so abruptly and so soon still hurts my confidence that Nintendo will back the WiiU for any length of time. When they decide to leave it behind (which may be soon if the dismal sales don’t pick up) they will likely drop production quickly as well, leaving existing buyers out in the cold.

#15 11 months ago
  16. mistermogul

@13 – Yeah man, it would have been so sweet if Nintendo had added classic controls as an option. Oh well…

@14 – Couldn’t agree more that waggle roll and ground pound were awful… I didn’t even think about DKCTF having the same controls and just assumed it would instead use the Gamepad? Now I’m concerned! Really hope it’s the Gamepad…

#16 11 months ago
  17. SplatteredHouse

“As the Wii generation went on I got more and more fed up/annoyed with”… lackluster software support from Nintendo, and third-party wiimote support shoe-horning, or, lazy implementation of that technology. I still consider one of the most advanced games on that system to either be: Zack & Wiki, or Sonic & the Secret Rings – both of which suffered scuppering either by the game mechsnic (in Sonic’s case) or the tech (for Z&W)

I was also irritated that they wanted me to alter my whole network setup to accomodate their archaic security support for online play. No support to begin with, without adapter, and the driver support for THAT dried up long before EOL – bloody dinosaurs! :(

#17 11 months ago
  18. Panthro

@15 My aim wasn’t to bash the Wii, it was just to point out that what nintendo did was cost effective for themselves as the market they were targeting aren’t so caught up on whether the console could output HD…

I loved my Wii, among the games I played on the system I rank them among some of the best games to come out in the past 10 years:

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories
    Mario Galaxy 1&2
    Twilight Princess
    DK country Returns
    NSMB
    Mario Kart
    Monster Huner 3

^Just off the top of my head, I enjoyed these games soooo much, And I didn’t let the fact that the games weren’t 720p/1080p get in the way…

The console was for families, they didn’t care about HD and chances are still don’t… except maybe the dad.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Cobra951

@18: Yeah, the good stuff was very good, *despite* the controller (not because of it). Looking at my shelf, though, I see only a few Wii games I love. Your list is longer than mine. I probably should give NSMB and DKC Returns a try, but the sad fact is that I’ve pretty much moved on. My Wii is still connected, but with a GC controller attached and Zelda Wind Waker in the slot. It got a lot more use as a GC than a Wii.

The resolution did not bother me at all. Technology is not the issue here.

#19 11 months ago
  20. Panthro

‘The resolution did not bother me at all. Technology is not the issue here.’

Its sad that a lot of other people cant see past the technology aspect isn’t it.

#20 11 months ago
  21. mistermogul

@19 – “I probably should give DKC Returns a try…”

You really should, it’s superb and I very much doubt you’d regret it.

If you have a 3DS though I’d get it on that as it lacks motion controls!

#21 11 months ago
  22. Cobra951

@21: Thanks for the heads up. I have a feeling that Zelda: ALBW will end up selling me a 3DS. If that happens, I’ll look forward to DKCR as well.

#22 11 months ago
  23. pukem0n

rest in peace, winner of the current console generation.

we actually wont miss you, but still.

#23 11 months ago
  24. noamlol2

garbage system

still it’s nice to know it had backwards compatability
    but region locked….

#24 11 months ago
  25. Dragon

Er… the article is misleading and the source (CVG) clearly mistranslated everything.
    Sometimes its better to leave the translation to experts and not Google translate.

Wii has ceased production only in Japan.

#25 11 months ago
  26. pcbros

I’m glad I kept my Wii :)

The Wii was the best selling console last generation. Kind of hard to tell Nintendo they screwed up and should have gone a different route. Putting our own preferences in gaming aside, they dominated last generation.

Although Nintendo has been doing things differently than the competition, for the most part, it’s been a smart move for them. The Wii outsold the 360/PS3. The DS outsold the PSP. The 3DS is outselling the Vita. Whether we personally like what they are doing, they achieving success.

The Wii U is probably so far their first misstep in quite a while. Good news is that they still have time to fix it (the competition is just launching their new hardware) or they can just scrap it in a couple of years and start from scratch.

I think Nintendo can mantain it’s “less powerful” tech strategy if they can price their consoles considerably lower than the competition. If they Wii U rolled out at $200-$250, I bet things would be way different.

#26 11 months ago
  27. fengato

^ The issue is that the Wii U can’t reach that price point as the fisher price resistive tablet adds too greatly to the cost of manufacturing. It’s a millstone around the U’s neck. Like with the 2DS, I’d love to see a budget version of the U sans the tablet (with the Pro controller swapped in).

As for Nintendo “winning” the last gen – it was a fad that spiked then violently fell off. It was a short term strategy that paid off early on, though cost them down the line as they stopped investing in the teams and games that would keep them profitable and relevant for the future. There lies the problem with the Wii – and the inherited problem of the Wii U.

#27 11 months ago
  28. pcbros

@27 – I meant dominated in consoles sold. Whether it was the superior system or the console of choice is a different topic.

I do agree that the GamePad should have been optional. Wii U Deluxe could have been bundled with it and Wii U Basic without.

But you do make some good points above.

#28 11 months ago