Fable Legends will launch as ‘Season One’ and will be bolstered by DLC

Monday, 21st October 2013 15:21 GMT By Dave Owen

Game director on Fable Legends David Eckelberry has clarified a little how the game will be structured so that it evolves over the course of many years. Episodic content will insure that the narrative isn’t forgotten due to a focus on multiplayer.

“The storyline is absolutely there and very important,” Eckelberry told IGN. “Of course there’s a higher purpose with a broad storyline that combines the various quests. But we tell new stories all the time. That’s the beauty of episodic content.

“We don’t want Fable Legends to stop when you finish the game. You should think about seasons and episodes. Fable Legends might just be Season One and we can add new quests and stories in the future, in the form of DLC for example.”

How exactly Fable Legends will work is still a little mysterious, but it certainly sounds like an ambitious project, and an interesting way to take the franchise forward into next-gen. Hopefully we’ll find out more soon.

1. Ireland Michael

And…. you’ve just killed any interest I had in the game.

I play RPGs for their breath of content, not to be nickel and dimed it. Unless this has a *really* low price point for content, no thanks.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Legendaryboss

So its like a TV Show/Series in which you pay (unless its free) for more content, well this might turn some people off like @1.

#2 1 year ago
  3. absolutezero

Previous Fable games had those floating orb things from other people playing on your friends list, which was always nice to see, but did any of you actually try and play Co-Op?

Its terrible, its one of the most basic boring examples I have ever experienced. I hope they have some interesting ideas to move away from just running around next to another player doing the same shit from single player. I hope to God its not influenced by MMO’s either, no classes please God.

#3 1 year ago
  4. DrDamn

It depends how it’s done and the price/content ratio. There are a lot of franchises which would benefit an approach like this if done sensibly and sensitively. For example I’d rather buy a decent size game for £40 followed by DLC which builds on and transforms the original game over a good number of years than be expected to pay £40 every year or two for a re-skinned game with new content.

#4 1 year ago
  5. traumadisaster

Please to frack this up! Between ryse & fable u have my money just deliver.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheBlackHole

Actually, I liked it in co-op. I got to experience the story as intended, while the developer wasn’t distracted by having to create a bespoke co-op experience.

I wish more single player RPGs took the same approach.

Split screen Mass Effect or Skyrim? Yes please.

#6 1 year ago
  7. antraxsuicide

I like the idea. If it’s, say, $30 a season, then I’m good.

@3 I believe they said that you’ll have AI partners if not online, so I’m guessing it’ll have some Zelda: Four Swords gameplay mechanics and such.

#7 1 year ago
  8. bradk825

The only way I’m interested now is if purchasing the game and only completing “season one” offers a full story with closure, and that I am unharmed by not purchasing more content.

A partial game should never be sold for full price.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Arcnail

@1 If you are getting good value for your money, whats to complain about? If you aren’t, then you don’t buy it.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@9 That’s why I said the price point better be low for each individual piece of content. This being Microsoft, I don’t expect it to be. Killer Instinct’s pricing alone is robbery.

Episodic content is a terribly way to design an RPG anyway, for countless reasons I have too much of a headache right now to bother going into.

#10 1 year ago
  11. BrahManDude

cash grab much?

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheBlackHole

So let me get this straight… Walking Dead goes episodic, and everyone wants to have its babies. Fable does the same thing (as far as we know), and it’s a cynical cash grab?

And @8 I’m pretty sure you will survive the experience ‘unharmed’. I don’t think games are quite that affecting… yet.

#12 1 year ago
  13. TheBlackHole

Correct me if I’m wrong, but isn’t Killer Instinct $40 (£25-£30, give or take), for the initial roster of characters?

Doesn’t seem to bad to me. Not dirt cheap, but hardly robbery.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Ireland Michael

@12 The Walking Dead isn’t an RPG. The gameplay, which is a natural evolution of point and click adventures, is based almost entirely around the telling of that story. It not only fits with the episodic format, but benefits from it. The entire package also cost me a grand total of about €20, which is nearly a third of the price less of most retail games.

@13 Most fighting games launch with a roster of well above 20+ characters, sometimes more. In Killer Instinct value, that would set you back about $100. $40 for eight characters is daylight fucking robbery. Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown, the most technically complex game in the genre, had 20 characters and was sold for $15.

Paying $40 for the the “initial roster” is absolutely bullshit. It amazes me just how much some gamers are willing to allow companies to fuck them over, and it’s their casual willingness to do so that allows this sort of nickel and diming bullshit to continue at all.

#14 1 year ago