GTA 5′s Japanese debut was franchise’s best to date

Sunday, 20th October 2013 23:28 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Grand Theft Auto 5′s Japanese first-week sales were the best the franchise has experienced to date.

As previously reported, GTA 5 shifted 360,115 copies on PlayStation 3 and 26,612 copies on the Xbox 360 in its first week.

Drawing on Media Create data, Siliconera reports that it’s the highest debut for a GTA game in Japan, with a sell-through of 85.71% on PS3 and 92.57% on Xbox 360.

2008’s Grand Theft Auto 4 sold 132,676 copies in its first week on PS3 (78.77% sell-through) and 33,648 copies on the Xbox 360 (62.80% sell-through). The best-selling debut for a GTA: Vice City in 2004, selling 246,000 copies on PS2.

GTA 5 is breaking sales records everywhere – and not just in games, but in entertainment media in general.

1. Panthro

Wow, another article about the sales of GTA.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Lounds

mean while 600,000 PC fans are wanting to give money to R* but no fucker wants it.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Bowser

^Boo hoo [EDIT], buy a PS3 like the rest of us did years ago.

It’s no one’s fault but your own if you miss out on fun so you can jerk off over how “PC Master Race” you are.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Brenna Hillier

I’m not in the mood for slurs today and will be editing comments accordingly. Just FYI.

#4 10 months ago
  5. Dragon

Someone is mad ;) Kudos for removing the filth!

Great going for R*, the game is awesome!

#5 10 months ago
  6. RocknRolla

Hehe :) good thing I glitched the shit out of the game and got my self over 10 million :D every car I needed and still got over 3 million left plus the 500.000 R* is giving us :D I was really pissed when I noted different payouts after I had done the whole mission with oter players dead. Well I took the balance in my own hands :D

#6 10 months ago