Sony confirms DriveClub delay, game will miss PS4 launch

Friday, 18th October 2013 10:05 GMT By Dave Owen

Following reports earlier this week, Sony has confirmed that DriveClub will miss PS4′s launch. The Evolution Studios racer has been delayed into early 2014, as the team “requires more time in order to deliver on their vision.”

The news comes via a post on the PlayStation Blog from President of Worldwide Studios Shuhei Yoshida.

It reads: “SCE Worldwide Studios and the team at Evolution Studios have made the difficult decision to delay the release of DRIVECLUB and DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition until early 2014.

“This decision also affects PlayStation Plus members‘ Instant Game Collection for launch. To be clear, DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition will still be part of the Instant Game Collection when it is released. For the PS4 launch, in addition to Resogun, I’m pleased to announce that Contrast, the highly anticipated game from Compulsion Games will also be available to PlayStation Plus members for free as part of Instant Game Collection.

“We understand that the delay is disappointing news, but can assure you that the reason we have made this decision is to ensure that when DRIVECLUB launches, it will realize the next gen racing vision.

“DRIVECLUB is a really ambitious racing title and the game is looking stunning. The extra time we’re giving the team means the visuals and overall experience are only going to get better. We can assure you that it will be worth the wait.”

The news deals a real blow to the PS4 launch line-up, following Ubisoft’s announcement that Watch Dogs has also slipped. In terms of next-gen grunt, PS4 will now only have Killzone: Shadow Fall and Knack to show for itself. The loss of a racer is particularly difficult, as not only are they staples of a next-gen console release, but Xbox One has Forza Motorsport 5 ready to go.

1. Erthazus

Poor show Sony.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Fin

aw

#2 1 year ago
  3. DrDamn

Disappointing. Contrast is a smaller title (though one which looked interesting). Better to give DC the time if it needs it though.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Beta

I’d rather them release a good game than a mediocre one. Reserving judgment for now.

#4 1 year ago
  5. KAP

Exactly. Erthazus would be the first to complain about a lacklusture game if it were released early but turned out worse for it.

Logic should come easy to most you’d think right?

#5 1 year ago
  6. G1GAHURTZ

Wasn’t this supposed to be free or something?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Joe Musashi

Disappointing. But at least Resogun isn’t being delayed. Yet.

JM

#7 1 year ago
  8. Lv01

i was going to look at getting contrast anyway… now part of the IGC, thats a done deal!
    and as #3 and #4 say, id rather they give the game the time to be as good as it can be. and it’ll still be on the IGC when released, so it’ll get played, when its ready, and it’ll be better for the wait.

a bit of a downer, but there are positives there!

#8 1 year ago
  9. CyberMarco

Poor news obviously, but better delay for a polished game compared to an unfinished one.

Well, I guess this industry is becoming more and more incompetent by the day. They try to hype the shit out of its products and in the end they fail to deliver.

Better late than ever I guess…

#9 1 year ago
  10. DrDamn

Read the post maybe? ;) Will still be included in PS+ IGC when released and at launch you now get Contrast in addition to Resogun.

#10 1 year ago
  11. fengato

I would have preferred that they used this team to do a nice basic port of GT6. Drive Club reeks of launch title, yet still doesn’t make launch.

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheBlackHole

@6 No, although that’s what Sony would have you believe. They are releasing a free ‘PS+ Edition’, which is clearly designed not to be the full game. Sneaky marketing though, as most people I’ve spoken to think they’re getting the full thing.

I’m all for delaying games to ensure better quality, but cancelling launch with three weeks to go (when the game should already have gone GOLD) and moving it into ‘early 2014′ suggests that the game is seriously flawed.

Aside from taking cheap shots at Microsoft, I’ve yet to see much I’ve been impressed with from Sony with regard to PS4.

It seems that this launch period will be bereft of some of the best developers (naughty dog, valve, epic) so it’s hard to feel enthused about much of it.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DuckNation

So the PS+ version is still a go at launch? but the retail version still has a while ?

errr nvm oh well not a game i cared for anyways all racing games are the same people should get over that NFS, Forza all the same shiz

#13 1 year ago
  14. Zensi

lol ..

#14 1 year ago
  15. tenthousandgothsonacid

I wouldn’t have fancied being the guy from Evolution having to make that phone call :-/

“Errmmm you know that launch title we said we’d already finished …weeeeell”

#15 1 year ago
  16. VibraniumSpork

Gah, was hoping for Knack to replace Driveclub in some form, but Contrast looks okay. Free games is free games after all.

#16 1 year ago
  17. DrDamn

I think the racing sub-genre DC fits in is logical enough and it seems like this is the game that Evolution wanted to make. They won’t take GT away from Polyphony – much as I would think it might benefit the series. PS lacks a more serious racer in the PGR/Forza Horizons space. There are plenty of third party arcade racers out there already.

#17 1 year ago
  18. G1GAHURTZ

@10, 12:

I skimmed the article, but missed that part… lol.

Anyway, so there are two versions?

Too confusing. Probably why most people don’t realise that there are actually two different versions…

#18 1 year ago
  19. Keivz

Again, not surprised. I predicted that we’d see more game delays after the Watch Dogs delay. These launch games have been looking mighty rushed for the most part. Question is, which game will be next to be delayed? NBA Live 14 perhaps?

#19 1 year ago
  20. DrDamn

The PS+ edition contains the full single player campaign, all the online features and is just missing some tracks and cars. You can platinum the game with the PS+ version.

#20 1 year ago
  21. fengato

@17 Yeah, Kazunori will never let western devs in on the action, though it feels silly to go back to an ancient console on its last legs for such a visually demanding game. I’m a huge GT fan – can’t believe that I’ll be skipping it come December – I’ll be waiting as long as it takes to get it on PS4. In the meantime Forza has my money.

Couldn’t care less about Drive Club – free or otherwise.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Nakorson

I don’t like racing games anyway, kinda glad i get Contrast now ;)

#22 1 year ago
  23. bitsnark

So instead of a mildly gimped version of Driveclub at launch, I now get Contrast free ?

Yep. That works.

#23 1 year ago
  24. KAP

I find it funny people forget there will be a racer on launch. Need for Speed RIVALS. Don’t need to kill yourselfs yet guys…. ffs.

#24 1 year ago
  25. stx

“PS4 will now only have Killzone: Shadow Fall and Knack to show for itself.”

And ResoGun!!

#25 1 year ago
  26. DrDamn

You get Contrast free *as well*. When it does release you get DC PS+ edition too.

#26 1 year ago
  27. bitsnark

@26 Yeah I know, I just typo’d myself like a fool.

Coffee is needed! :)

#27 1 year ago
  28. TheBlackHole

No, you get to try all of the game modes, but if you’re missing tracks and cars then saying you get the whole single player campaign is a bit of a misnomer. It’s essentially the equivalent of GT Prologue.

Not only this, but the fact they are charging users to upgrade to the full version’ suggests that the differences are significant enough to warrant charging extra for the full game.

I’m not criticising the value in the free version, but the way the developer has been bandying around the concept of giving away the full game (and then charging to upgrade?) is just untrue.

#28 1 year ago
  29. monkeygourmet

Losing Drive Club now looks better by Contrast.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Reddpayn

We got a bigassproblem

#30 1 year ago
  31. VibraniumSpork

@29 +1

#31 1 year ago
  32. Keivz

I think he meant true next gen titles. Let’s face it, Resogun and Contrast may end up being good games, but they could have been released on the PS3 with little to no visual difference. Why they aren’t being released on the PS3 as well is beyond me. The PS4 launch lineup gets some padding with such games.

#32 1 year ago
  33. DrDamn

There is a single player campaign mode which is fully included, the fact you can’t chose to play a particular track in a single race / time trial mode isn’t part of the single player campaign.

This is how the PS+ version is described by the game director …
    “You can earn the platinum trophy in the PS+ Edition, remember its the full game minus a few cars/tracks.”

#33 1 year ago
  34. DrDamn

Whilst the core of Resogun is essentially a side scrolling shooter the visuals are very impressive and in no way possible with “little to no visual difference” on PS3.

Those aren’t particle effects, they are voxels.

#34 1 year ago
  35. FabioPal

Isn’t Contrast available on Steam since yesterday?

meh…

#35 1 year ago
  36. TheBlackHole

They also said this:

“It may be missing a few assets such as cars or tracks, that will be found in the full version”

‘may be missing’? that’s awfully vague and non-commital. It either will or won’t, and it clearly will.

‘such as cars or tracks’ suggests that there are other things missing too.

I just don’t trust the way the developer has spoken about it – never defining how much content is missing. i.e. 20 cars, 8 tracks.

They will have to when they announce upgrade pricing, and I’m keen to see the truth of the matter. If they have enough missing content to charge for MTX and a full upgrade price, they must have held back a significant chunk of content.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Mike W

There’s no denying that Xbox has a way better line up then PS4 now, if Sony delays anything else they’re shooting themselves in the foot. Although DC wasn’t on my purchase list, nobody wants to buy a $399 system with nothing to play on it.

I have a feeling now that Ryse and DR 3 are going to be a buggy mess. :(

#37 1 year ago
  38. stx

“I think he meant true next gen titles. Let’s face it, Resogun and Contrast may end up being good games, but they could have been released on the PS3 with little to no visual difference.”

The same can be said about DriveClub. In fact the same can be said about most PS4/XBO launch games, with a few exceptions.

#38 1 year ago
  39. TrickyAudio

Shame, but I’d rather it was delayed and came out decent.

AC4, KZ3 and FIFA will keep me going for a couple months, especially if games are gunna be £50 to start with..!

#39 1 year ago
  40. DrDamn

The upgrade price, what ever it is set at, covers the fact you no longer need to sub to PS+ to play it too.

#40 1 year ago
  41. RussellGorall

I think the developer is a bit in over their head. Also, like others, I have questions about the PS Plus edition of the game and how much it differs from retail. Seems like they were either putting a beta out as the Plus edition, or the people buying it were looking foolish.

Driveclub at launch was the reason I felt good about not getting a single one of the launch games.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Legendaryboss

The Driveclub Playstation Plus Edition is Early 2014. It has less content than the retail version think of GT Prologue editions, so it could be seen in someway as a Beta. A sampling and precursor to the full version of Driveclub. So it may get updates like GT prologue.

Less cars and tracks, is what has been said and then there is upgrade price, unknown now.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Hcw87

Are you sure about this? I thought the PS+ edition was delayed, therefore we got Contrast instead at launch?

#43 1 year ago
  44. DrDamn

“SCE Worldwide Studios and the team at Evolution Studios have made the difficult decision to delay the release of DRIVECLUB and DRIVECLUB PlayStation Plus Edition until early 2014″

Both delayed.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Legendaryboss

@43/44
    Changed, misread another article.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Eregol

@37 ‘nobody wants to buy a $399 system with nothing to play on it.’

Subjective surely?
    Just because you don’t see anything there that interests you doesn’t mean others don’t.
    I don’t see anything in the XB1 line up that interests me and that has less games overall than the PS4 will have at launch. But if people want to buy one then it’s up to them.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Dragon

Does really matter to me, since I don’t really buy home consoles at launch. Although it sucks a bit for early adopters.
    I will be getting it free anyway :D

#47 1 year ago
  48. stretch215

More confirmation that I made the right choice by going xbox first. By the time I get my ps4 this will be out (along with infamous!).

#48 1 year ago
  49. derpachu

Lol. Should of brought GT. Oh well, forza5 makes this irrelevant.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Mike W

Good point, I mean I have AC 4 and KZ preorder for the system so I’m all set.

#50 1 year ago
  51. zoopdeloop

Both ps4 and One are wasted money for now.We’re not talking about 200 or 300$.Their launch line ups don’t deserve throwing out 399 and 499 IMO
    This generation’s hardware is old but there are still games coming out and still looking good.
    Why would i want to throw out 399 to actually enjoy 2 titles at best right now when i can enjoy 5 upcoming titles on the current gen.Same applies for the majority of early adopters

Some will buy them at launch very few will get to keep them for now.I can already tell many Ps4 and Xboxes on e-bay.

early adopters are just victims of consumerism

#51 1 year ago
  52. stretch215

@51 yeah, because once we buy a next gen system we can’t play games on current gen anymore. Lol

#52 1 year ago
  53. Eregol

@51 & 52 To be honest, if there’s a better looking, shinier version I’d rather have that. It’s why I’m holding off getting Diablo 3 until it launches on next gen systems.

#53 1 year ago
  54. Hcw87

Idiots buying a new Iphone every year is the victims of consumerism.

When there’s new consoles coming out after 8+ years, ofcourse i’m going to buy them on day one. Anyone saying differently is either broke or just jealous. Or both.

As yourself this. If you had the money to buy whatever you wanted, wouldn’t you? Ofcourse you would.

#54 1 year ago
  55. ysleiro

So are we ready to conclude which line up is the better one or are some still blind?

#55 1 year ago
  56. Arcnail

Both line ups sucked before the delays… it’s starting to get funny now.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Eregol

@55 & 56 Both line ups while better than many previous console launches are poor.
    However, people buying a new console based solely on the launch line up rather than the long tail are stupid, naive or both.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Arcnail

@57 Totally.. thus why I’ll wait it out.

#58 1 year ago
  59. tezzer1985

Xbox One clearly has the better games this November.

#59 1 year ago
  60. stretch215

@53 same for me with bf4. Why play on current gen if I can play on next gen with 64 players, bigger maps, and better visuals.

#60 1 year ago
  61. bradk825

@51 If no one buys it on Day 1, it won’t be there to buy on day 365 lol.

Why not buy day one? There are enough games to keep me happy until Spring, actually more games than I can play through before the spring ones come out.

#61 1 year ago
  62. sebastien rivas

More time needed heh?

Does that time solely include the optimization for Ps4?
    So instead of optimizing for raw power, now dev have to optimize to provide best/most with least power housing…

Where are we going that way?

We need 10 more years to develop our next gen game for the new 386 DXII 33 mega powerful processor raaawwwrrr.

What else is there to understand when circumstance(s) is or are so dam vague anyway….

#62 1 year ago
  63. fearmonkey

This will barely effect sales, anyone who loves racing so much that they need it at launch would probably be a Forza fan.

I am disappointed that there will be no PS+ edition of the game, was looking froward to that. Not a huge racing fan, but enjoy them from time to time.

#63 1 year ago
  64. derpachu

@60 people been doing that on pc on bf3…

#64 1 year ago
  65. stretch215

@64 thank you captain common sense! What would I have done without your input!?!

#65 1 year ago
  66. Hyperx64

Either way, DriveClub looks like a very average game and is not worth worrying about to begin with.

#66 1 year ago
  67. ctankep

Who’s gonna tell you when ., it’s too late /
    Who’s gonna tell you things ., aren’t so great /
    You can’t go on ., thinkin ., nothin’s wrong /
    Who’s gonna drive you home tonight.

#67 1 year ago