Ryse: Son of Rome videos tell Marius’ backstory, and Damocles’ lesson

Friday, 18th October 2013 19:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Ryse: Son of Rome videos which were posted yesterday on Gamespot have been released to the masses. You can now watch them here, on the site, below. One details the game’s story, and gives you an idea of what caused Marius Titus to become so stab-happy, while the other tells the tale of Damocles and how he learned that virtue is its own reward for living a happy life and all that nonsense. He apparently didn’t know much regarding the strength of horse hair. Some screenshots are below as well. Ryse is a Microsoft-published Xbox One launch title due in November.

1. Moonwalker1982

The graphics are goddamn impressive, look at the faces and the expressions. This is a launch game and already looking so damn good. On top of that it’s not even a fully built on X1 game, used to be 360. Wow.

#1 10 months ago
  2. Erthazus

Yeah. That’s Crytek. It looks really nice on the next gen.
    The best looking launch line up exclusive game that’s for sure.

#2 10 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Can’t fucking wait for this!!! Hype! Love the setting, gameplay is prob shite but it’ll still be fun!

#3 10 months ago
  4. Opalauge

I wonder why people think that Crytek will only make “graphic blenders” in the future.
    People like David Doak (Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Timesplitters) and David L. Adams (Darksiders) are working for that company.
    The concept behind the combat system is “easy to learn and hard to master” with much replay value. that is no guarantee for a good game but I think it is much underestimated since the E3-demo, wich was absolutely not representative.
    The multiplayer on the GC was very promising and absolutely not that QTE-based as everyone expected.

#4 10 months ago
  5. jomac3db

I’m a Sony fanboy but this is one game I must have

#5 10 months ago
  6. Joe Musashi

I absolutely love the art-style in that Story of Damocles video. Truly a living water-colour.

For the most part, the uncanny valley has been defeated in the 2nd video, though there’s one or two areas where gaps show. The fidelity of the visuals speak for themselves though. Outstanding.

@4 David Doak, according to Wikipedia (lol) has not been with Crytek UK since 2009.

I would still like to see more of the full on gameplay of Ryse, however. It’s still quite unclear what it involves, how much scope and freedom there is. Clearly there has been some talk of QTEs which can stigmatise a game. Something like a 10-min developer walkthrough could do wonders.

Nice also to have a setting that isn’t already heavily overused. With that Damocles vid, I wonder if any myhtological elements will be present in the game.

JM

#6 10 months ago
  7. Opalauge

Yeah sorry, you’re right on that!

#7 10 months ago
  8. xxJPRACERxx

Cinematic quality is awesome but gameplay bits is just ok and the animations don’t blend very well.

#8 10 months ago
  9. fengato

I like the setting and the vibe. Wish it wasn’t a launch title being hurriedly crunched out.

#9 10 months ago
  10. traumadisaster

Hate previews of games and movies. I havent watched this yet because it is unclear to me if this is something I will get in the game or is this bonus preview stuff not in the game?

#10 10 months ago
  11. Opalauge

I guess you souldn’t watch it. ;)

#11 10 months ago
  12. ManuOtaku

I will be picking this one, really like it so far, i mean all the info release so far, also dead rising 3 and crimsom dragon and eventually killer instinct, i cannot believe the amount of time i keep waiting for the next game in the series.

#12 10 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

It’s easy to tell when you get your bonus! :D

#13 10 months ago
  14. ManuOtaku

Monkey you wont believe i received bonus for all of them, well except the steam machine, i dont like valve as a provider, it is like Xbox one with the first policies but worst ;)

#14 10 months ago
  15. monkeygourmet

@Manu

What is your Wii U / 3DS gamer codes …

Please add me, I’ll draw you a Penis :)

#15 10 months ago
  16. ManuOtaku

Monkey sorry, i did recently move out like two months give or take, and here the internet is 3G modem (sim card) only or satellite, no ethernet, and till this moment i wasnt able to make the 3G work with a router therefore i cannot connect my consoles trhough the internet, in all of them is manuotaku like in xbox and PSN, i have two months without playing online, thank god the xbox one ditched that crap, i mean the always connected.

p.s >_> , <_< …….(with a very low tone voice) draw a big penis ;)

#16 10 months ago