Battlefield 4: DICE is serious about female characters

Friday, 18th October 2013 12:33 GMT By Dave Owen

Female characters are proving quite the sticking point for forthcoming marquee shooters. Now Battlefield 4′s executive producer Patrick Bach has explained that he hopes the franchise can one day fully incorporate female characters, but that DICE needs to work out how much it would have to “sacrifice” to make it possible.

Speaking with OXM, Bach said, “We have been talking about it quite a lot. We’ve been looking at how much it’s worth, compared to how much we’d have to sacrifice.

“Because it’s quite complicated, It’s not just [creating] the actual character models, it’s all the voice-over work. We have hundreds of thousands of lines that would need to be duplicated, because even now we’re cheating quite a lot – we have random male voices, and then you have to multiply that by two. If we do it, we’ll do it right, not just to tick a box or something.”

The gauntlet has been thrown down by Call of Duty: Ghosts, which features female characters in its multiplayer. Infinity Ward claims that the engine has to be significantly reworked in order to make this possible.

We have a big interview with Patrick Bach coming soon to the site, so keep your eyes peeled.

1. Panthro

Dice can you please put dogs in the game? Next gen isn’t next gen without dogs. especially one the soldiers can play dress up with.

#1 11 months ago
  2. Christopher Jack

My sole issue with female characters in shooters is often their decreased frame creating smaller hit boxes providing them with slight advantages. Some have overcome this issue but I still see it happening elsewhere.

#2 11 months ago
  3. DuckNation

All i can think about when they say Female Characters is “Dip Dip Potato Chip”

#3 11 months ago
  4. VibraniumSpork

@2 There’s also this.

#4 11 months ago
  5. Xbone

Christopher Jack
    Im sure both hitbox will be the same… otherwise it would be stupid.

#5 11 months ago
  6. absolutezero

Why does it need to be such a massive fucking effort?

These are military women in the military, so just stick a female tag on one of the already existing male soldiers and no one would bat an eye-lid.

Leave the voice the same, it could be the Vasquez from Aliens.

#6 11 months ago
  7. stretch215

Lol @ 4

#7 11 months ago
  8. Christopher Jack

@5, It mean the frame has to be very similar or the hitboxes being identical & I don’t see the point of an identical hitbox on a different frame, it just isn’t acceptable anymore.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Dunno

yeah sexy butts and clevage pls!

#9 11 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

Good to see chauvinism as alive as ever.

#10 11 months ago
  11. monkeygourmet

What was the game where you could shove tampons in open bullet wounds?

Is that feature going to be included?

#11 11 months ago
  12. VibraniumSpork

@10 In order to redress the balance, here’s this :D

@11 Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!

#12 11 months ago
  13. Fin

“Because of the hitboxes” is a ridiculous reason to not have female avatars.

Oh noes, the game might be very very slightly unbalanced.
    Just play as a female character, problem solved.

#13 11 months ago
  14. AmiralPatate

Isn’t standard issue equipment the same for everyone? If so, a male and a female character would basically have the same build once fully geared, right?

#14 11 months ago
  15. Ireland Michael

@14 Basically.

It’s pretty much just people coming up with whatever excuses they can to avoid the threat to their personal sense of masculinity.

#15 11 months ago
  16. AmiralPatate

Plus there aren’t any kitchens on the battlefield, zing!

#16 11 months ago
  17. monkeygourmet

Well, the female israeli soldiers that got bollocked for those bikini shots are a good place to start researching.

#17 11 months ago
  18. VibraniumSpork

@17 Yes, yes…research.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Hybridpsycho

@15 “avoid the threat to their personal sense of masculinity” is such a bullshit argument thrown out by people everywhere.

I wouldn’t fucking care if they made all the soldiers female-exclusive. But my problem, and the people I talk to with similar opinions, is that everyone is making such a big fucking fuss about it.

Anyone who doesn’t follow and bow down before the almighty LGBT people is a misogynistic piece of shit bigot and you’ll be harassed like you’re the biggest freak on earth.

These people can do whatever the fuck they want, but I’m tired of reading articles that say I’m a piece of shit perverted misogynist just because I like big boobs in my games. Fortunately VG247 hasn’t gone that far yet, but I cant even look at Kotaku anymore without being told how much of an asshole I am.

#19 11 months ago
  20. bradk825

Why would they have to sacrifice anything? What did COD remove to add female soldiers?

#20 11 months ago
  21. Hybridpsycho

@20 They didn’t remove anything, the sacrifice is the money it costs to change/add to the engine.

The changes that they need to do (and not doing it half-assed) is actually quite alot. Did you even read the article?

#21 11 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

Kotaku is the worst piece of shit ever. Jeezebel has infected so many news stories there it’s unreal.

#22 11 months ago
  23. Pitts

I don’t know why so many of you assume a male model with a female tag is good enough, but I think it’s lazy and does nothing but hurt the developers and demean the prospective audience for those avatars.

The fact that they plan to give the development of female avatars just as much attention as the male characters is *exactly* how this should be happening.

#23 11 months ago
  24. Ireland Michael

@19 Well, if its a bullshit reason, then its not a big deal, eh?

“These people can do whatever the fuck they want, but I’m tired of reading articles that say I’m a piece of shit perverted misogynist just because I like big boobs in my games.”

If you like big breasts in your game, congrats to you. I don’t really see what this has to do with implementing female soldiers into a military shooter. They’re going to be covered in so much gear their gender will be barely noticeable.

“my problem, and the people I talk to with similar opinions, is that everyone is making such a big fucking fuss about it.”

They’re making a “big fuss” (if by “big fuss” you mean simply discussing the matter like mature adults), because of unequal representation.

#24 11 months ago
  25. bradk825

@21 Why be a dick?

Yes, the sacrifice is money. That’s no excuse. EA has money. We all know how much they like it (Online Pass).

Yes, I read the article, and yes, I’m critisizing them anyway. It’s fucking 2013, and most of the other big shooters have female avatars now. Gears, COD, Halo have all done it. He’s making it out to be such a big chore. Hire a fucking voice actor or two.

#25 11 months ago
  26. Ireland Michael

@25 Creating entirely new models with their own meshes and animations is actually a fairly time consuming process, but its still a lazy excuse. They should have been working on it from the beginning of development.

#26 11 months ago
  27. AmiralPatate

Wow there, hiring voice actors? That’d mean they’ll need to hire voice actor to properly dub all Russian and Chinese communications too.

#27 11 months ago
  28. Hybridpsycho

@24 My point about big breast wasn’t related to Battlefield or CoD, it was more how the market is currently treated. Metal gear solid adds hot female character and everyone throws a fit.

“For the next CoD game, we should put all the male soldiers in cod (get it?) pieces, and make all their mannerisms over-sexualised. We’ll see how the average player reacts. It will probably be something along the lines of “Ewww, that’s so gay!””

Because catering to the market is a bad thing, no matter what people say the majority of the market are still male gamers. The “reveresed role” is a silly argument that is used when you have nothing else to say.

“Hilariously, the fact that you’re getting so defensive about the issue sadly only goes to prove my point. You’re angry at your personal, gender defined preferences not being catered to, and are getting annoyed because someone else wants the same piece of the pie as you.”

Sure I’m defensive, but not defensive about the things you think I am. I don’t care if my “gender defined preferences” are being catered to or not. If I don’t like what I see I’ll go find it some place else, big whoop.
    What I AM being defensive about is the way I’m viewed an asshole for thinking “sexism in games” has turned into a bigger deal than it is. Sexism works both ways believe it or not.

“I can pretty much guarantee if every CoD for the past 7 years *only* had only female soldiers, you’d be one of the first in line to complain that men weren’t being poorly represented.”

I like the fact that everything you did in your reply was making assumptions about me instead of actually reading what I said and reply any of the content.

I couldn’t give a rats ass if CoD had only used female soldiers in games over the past 7 years. Sure I’d laugh a bit at it because it would be terribly inaccurate.

Your way of arguing is terrible, I’m pissed so sorry for all the swearing, but at least I adress the issues at hand instead of just jumping the gun on what people feel, think and believe.

I could play that game to, but I have no reason to nor do I wish to sit here and write an essay on how I judge you as a person because you said something.

I’ll try doing it quickly though, sorry if it’s half-assed.

You’re most likely a feminist who think Anita Sarkesian has more than a few valid points. You’re ignorant towards facts and obviously your way of arguing is built up around “making assumptions and try to make the opposing side look bad” (the feminist way). You still believe the wage gap is a thing and when proven otherwise you stick to your guns and call “mysogyny”.

I probably exaggerated a bit, but I’m just playing your game after all.

#28 11 months ago
  29. bradk825

@27 Which I am sure Infinity Ward did.

#29 11 months ago
  30. Ireland Michael

@28 “My point about big breast wasn’t related to Battlefield or CoD, it was more how the market is currently treated. Metal gear solid adds hot female character and everyone throws a fit.”

Nobody has a problem with the character being hot. People have a problem with the fact that the character’s design is objectified *solely* because she is female.

“nor do I wish to sit here and write an essay on how I judge you as a person because you said something.”

Is that not exactly what you did in your initial post? Not judge me, but judge everyone else because they said something on the topic.

“You’re most likely a feminist who think Anita Sarkesian has more than a few valid points.”

No, I think Anita Sarkesian is a straw feminist completely incapable of understanding the context. I most certainly do take issue with the privileged majority telling the minority what they do or don’t have a right to complain about.

“You’re ignorant towards facts.”

What “facts” would those be, exactly?

#30 11 months ago
  31. salarta

@2,4: So it sounds like there’s no real issue to be had. If the female character is smaller and that gives her a smaller hitbox, then maybe recoil and gun stability is worse. It wouldn’t be any different from how a warrior class is stronger but slower compared to a thief class, for example.

#31 11 months ago
  32. MrWaffles

Do your character get grumpy and insufferable once a month?

#32 11 months ago
  33. Stephany Nunneley

@32 What, like men do? From my experience, that’s every God damned day! ;)

#33 11 months ago
  34. MrWaffles

@33 The key is consistency, being a pita 100% of the time isn’t has less effect than 1 week of bipolar madness.

<—- happy face to lessen tension

#34 11 months ago