Watch Dogs delay will “push back” some PS4 and Xbox One sales, warns analyst

Thursday, 17th October 2013 10:33 GMT By Dave Cook

Watch Dogs has been delayed to Spring 2014 by Ubisoft, and it’s a move that has seen its stock price tumble, and incur the wrath of many eager gamers. Videogame research manager at analyst first IDC Lewis Ward has stressed that while the move will push back PS4 and Xbox One console sales, it was ultimately the right decision.

Speaking with the BBC, Ward stated, “I think [Watch Dogs] was going to be one of the drivers for initial games-console bundle sales and will probably push back some of the hardware sales that would have happened right out of the gate for Sony and Microsoft. But absolutely it’s the right decision if there’s something glitchy or there’s some game-balance factor that is off.

“There’s a lot of interconnections between the things you can control in the game and how the story then unfolds, so I can only assume there’s some factor with the incredibly complex open-world gameplay that’s off. But there’s no reason Ubisoft can’t still deliver what they hoped to do with this game.”

Despite the delay, Ubisoft remains confident it will ‘win’ the next generation. We covered all of the company’s statements, news and stock price problems here if you want to play catch-up.

What’s your take on the issue? Is this a big deal? Let us know below.

Via OXM.

1. ran93r

Really?
    I mean sure, it looks like it’s going to be fun but it wasn’t the reason I pre-ordered a PS4.

#1 9 months ago
  2. super3001

wont affect xone but ps3.5 gots fuck all for launch now lol

lots of ps preorders switching to xone much better launch

#2 9 months ago
  3. Game Hunter

@2 you should level up and rename yourself”Super Xbox Ballsqeezer”

#3 9 months ago
  4. ps4ever

forced uplay web site sign up to play online, no thanks. i gladly skip this one.

#4 9 months ago
  5. Phoenixblight

This is true as I put my preorder for the PS4 up on sale on ebay so far about 200$ more than MSRP which mean in February I could potentially be paying nothing out of pocket for a new one and by then Infamous will be out.

#5 9 months ago
  6. DreadSabot

Another Analyst with no clue – check the VGChartz in the US – the game is barely preordering and it basically unknown to people outside of us gamers who follow and read sites.

PS4 = 143,801
    X1 = 87,086

I would hardly call that a system seller

The game that is leading pre-oders in the us are

X1 = Call of Duty Ghosts = 289,729
    PS4 = Call of Duty Ghosts = 281,565

Big difference

#6 9 months ago
  7. Phoenixblight

Hard time reading?

“I think [Watch Dogs] was going to be one of the drivers for initial games-console bundle sales and will probably push back some of the hardware sales ”

Some(definition): an unspecified amount or number of

I just said that that I will be hocking my PS4 because of this delay. You can bet your bottom dollar there will be more doing the same or cancelling their preorders.

#7 9 months ago
  8. FuntimeBen

I still have my PS4 preordered, even though I had Watchdogs preordered as well. But BF4 is still on its way and nothing is going to sway me back to Microsoft camp after their shenanigans.

Aso xbone launch line up does nothing for me. Titanfall looks cool, but that’s 2014 release and after reading the issues they are having with xbone GPUs not getting near 1080p/60fps I’m playing that on PC.

PS4 for the couch-play and PC for the win!

#8 9 months ago
  9. RussellGorall

That is like saying GTA5 would kill the buzz for next gen. I haven’t even played it, and Watch Dogs only looked like a rental down the line.

PS Plus, Dualshock 4, free to play and any game I rent was the reason I already have my launch console paid for.

#9 9 months ago
  10. DreadSabot

@7 Whoa dude did you just go FULL RETARD? Hard Time reading? Maybe you want a hard time breathing eh?

You cancelling your order or even a few of the yellow helmet rockers like you will not stall the numbers all that much – and that was my only point you mental gimp!

Even if all of the people who pre-ordered the whole 230k of them decided that this one game has made it a deal breaker that is not going to drop the sales number all that much. Add into that figure that based on pre-orders most folks ordered up to 2 games and that is why I do not think that this 1 game in particular is driving sales.

You may be one of the few who only ordered a single game and for that I am sorry for you – but again based on pre-ordered numbers I highly doubt that many people will follow suit with you.

Keep in mind this Analyst opinion is just that an opinion as is mine – but I am basing my opinion off the pre-order counts. Now if the console totals were not closer to 2mill then I could see this 230k being an issue.

Is that concept clear for you or do you need me to draw you a picture?

#10 9 months ago
  11. Phoenixblight

Not sure where you are getting this 2 million number. Currently PS4 is 1.5 million and the Xbox One is less. Vgchartz is not the be all and end all of games and console sold.

I also know of 3 people personally that are doing the same thing. That is 3 people that I know so you can imagine there will be more.

Also nice attack there. I hardly see hard time reading equating to calling someone a retard.

#11 9 months ago
  12. AmiralPatate

It’s obvious such an anticipated game which comes bundled with an anticipated platform being pushed back will have repercussions on said platform. Not sure how hard it will affect sales, but it most definitely will. Especially considering PS4′s lineup now doesn’t have an open-world action game, which could be a dealbreaker for a non-negligeable amount of gamers.
    Obviously, the console will still sell quite well regardless.

#12 9 months ago
  13. Djoenz

Retard – Someone that preorders a new console or buys one within the first year of launch.

Full retard – Someone that defends people perordering new consoles or new games while they havent even played it or played the “demo” version at conferences.

Im glad all of yall retards will have these next gen thingies at launch, cause I need to know what pro’s and cons these things really have before I purchase anything.

I cant wait for the outcries in november. It could be smoothsailing and ppl wont be disappointed at all, but nahh thats too naive for me to think that way.

#13 9 months ago
  14. DreadSabot

@10 Tit for tat dude – you could have made your point without attempting to insult. Seriously ‘hard time reading’ can equate to being slow or a lack of comprehension right?

If I recall the X1 has about half the numbers of Ps4 as of last month – so 1.5 + 750,000 maybe is just about 2 mill or so give or take. Again its an opinion and I disagree cordially :). VgChartz is just a benchmark and I am sure there are channels that they have not listed but being that this gen lasted so long I am sure lots of people are just waiting for something/ anything new.

@13 – stay out of grown folks conversation poser – even though pretty funny definitions. I have one too.

BROKE – Being concerned about what other people buy because you can’t afford to take the plunge.

See I too can make up definitions.

You are right for sure – there will be kinks it goes with the whole first adopter thing but i can surely tell you this. While my original 360 didn’t survive and was followed by better quality equipment, my original PS3 fat was and still is the best made machine from last gen and mind you had full backwards compatibility so that was worth every single dime no?

Gamers game and lames well you know what lames do. This is all in fun until you make it otherwise so lets keep it that way – stay in your lane.

Now why would you want to miss launch and play inferior versions of games when you know the best version are going to be on PC or next gen – are you a casual gamer?

#14 9 months ago
  15. fearmonkey

Watch Dogs delay will have minimal loss in sales for either console.

From what i have seen so far, COD:GHOSTS is going to be the huge game.

I wish there was one decent RPG at launch or close to launch. :(

#15 9 months ago
  16. FinalScore Playstation4 Xbox1

@15 Can’t wait for Diablo 3. But I can’t wait to play the good version of ghosts and not the scaled down version.

#16 9 months ago
  17. GSEDylanC4

I personally think that Ubisoft wanted to delay Watch Dogs to avoid competition with itself. With Black Flag having just been released Monday night, some people may only be able to buy one game or the other. Now people will be able to buy both.
    This will also give them six and a half more months to “workout the kinks”.

#17 9 months ago
  18. PenShamrock

Wll…I will say this…Watchdogs is the FIRST game I pre-ordered, and I was looking forward to having that game to play at launch…it wasnt the REASOn I pre-ordered the PS4 though. I pre-ordered the PS4 because of the interactions availble in games online… the fact I wanted a next gen system…and if ANY game is the reason I pre-ordered PS4, it was the game called “The Division” that is waht I am waiting for. but there are other games that are good coming out at launch, Fifa 14, Madden 25, Battlefield 4 (which I pre-ordered Also)….so I dont think it is that big of a deal…although it may be for some.

#18 9 months ago