Total War: Rome 2 patches “achieving in weeks what, on previous projects, took months”

Thursday, 17th October 2013 23:25 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Creative Assembly has thanked its fanbase for providing invaluable feedback allowing the team to accelerate post-launch support for Total War: Rome 2.

Series creative director Mike Simpson said on the Total War forums that player feedback on patches has been a major assistance to the development team.

“Without that help we wouldn’t be able to turn around the patches as fast as we have been doing. We’re achieving in weeks what, on previous projects, took months,” he wrote.

Now that the most pressing issues have been addressed, Simpson said development focus will shoft from stability and configuration to gameplay and features; of necessity, time between patches will increase, as balancing changes must be thoroughly tested.

“It’ll still be weeks rather than months between patches though, and we’re going to continue to patch the game regularly for the foreseeable future,” he promised.

The fifth patch for Rome 2 went live this week, but the Creative Assembly is already working on the seventh. Simpson asked fans not to be discouraged if it takes a while for their particular issues to be addressed, and said the team is definitely still listening.

“I’m not going make any detailed claims about what we’re going to do in the short term. The best way – the only really credible way – we can let you know what we’re doing is by delivering it in the game. But rest assured that we’re constantly reading the TW forums and a variety of others, and the feedback you’re giving helps us to prioritise the issues we deal with, as well as getting a sense of which features work well, which are not liked, and which features from previous Total War games which weren’t designed into Rome 2 are missed,” he said.

The fourth patch for Total War: Rome 2 dropped on the weekend.

Thanks, PCGamesN.

1. Ireland Michael

Achieve what, exactly? A playable game?

It’s launch state was diabolical.

#1 6 months ago
  2. GrimRita

They should be fucking ashamed. They knew full well that their game was a broken turd but pushed their shit out anyway.

A total disregard for their loyal fan base, misled them with their bullshots, fake bull shit videos and that prick sitting there talking about how ‘smart’ the AI was.

Like one of the many taken in, they have my money, I can’t get it back but from this day on, I will NEVER purchase one of their shitty games ever again and I doubt if I am the only one.

/rant is wavering

#2 6 months ago
  3. traumadisaster

Had no major problems. Have over 200 hours in it and think its a great game, in fact dont know of another game that gets me juices goin quite like when I say im takin the hill and the enemy says no! Of course im on this website since im restarting steam after the game crashed.

#3 6 months ago
  4. GrimRita

@3 I’ve had no performance issues, so I count myself as lucky/unlucky I guess. Angry Joes review is spot on, especially on just how stupid the AI is.

And what worries me about the utter bullshit coming from them in this story is that they knew just how broken the game was, pushed it out anyway and then had fixes already in the works, instead of saying ‘wait, we need 4-5 more weeks’, like they used to.

Had any smaller publisher pushed a game out like this, the media would have actually told the truth and scored it around 5-6/10 but because it’s Sega and they kiss the arse of all those corrupt Journos over at IGN and Gamespot, it scores 8/9.

Worst game of 2013.

#4 6 months ago
  5. dmastri

Yeah this game is garbage. Release was deplorable. No reason they couldn’t push it back and do a proper beta rather than this rushed release that was essentially a paid beta.

It’s not just that it’s riddled with bugs. There are a lot of missteps in the core design. Overall huge step backward for the series and the last penny they’ll ever get from me.

Also their forums are in constant damage control… any threat too critical gets relegated to the hidden RANTS AND RAVES subforum. God forbid anyone speak frankly about the worst fucking game of 2013.

“You have been banned for the following reason:
    CA / SEGA Bashing

Date the ban will be lifted: 01-18-2014, 09:00 AM”

#5 6 months ago
  6. sebastien rivas

The game was and still is playable.
    Ok the AI is a loose and on the pathetic side of things but that is the only complaint I have since beginning so far.

#6 6 months ago