PS4 vs Xbox One: Microsoft bets big on short-but-sweet exclusives

Thursday, 17th October 2013 07:33 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PS4 and Xbox One are just a few weeks away; if you haven’t already made up your mind, now’s the time. In the second of three examinations of the next-gen launch line-up we comb through Microsoft’s small but sweet array of exclusives.

As discussed yesterday, If we’re just going by numbers the PlayStation 4 definitely has the advantage over the Xbox One; it’s fronting over 20 titles the Xbox One does not have – yet – as compared to the dozen on display below.

PS4 is taking a bit of a risk, though, in that its core racer is a new IP, whereas Microsoft has Forza 5 in its stable. That’s going to be a major seller; there’s just no question. Dead Rising 3 is another excellent bet; the series has always traded on how well it utilised current-gen hardware to pack the screen with zombies; the gazillions of undead the Xbox One can power are likely to showcase the increased power of the hardware over the Xbox 360 better than graphics can – at least until optimisations catch up later in the generation.

Otherwise, though, it’s looking a bit grim for the core early adopter – lots of Kinect, family-friendly titles, and free-to-play without the daring break from form Sony has gathered with its indie focus. Of course, there’s the shared line-up, which we’ll delve into tomorrow; there’s a heavy emphasis on multiplayer titles. That’s something the Xbox fanbase is likely to embrace wholeheartedly, importing existing friends lists rather than switching to new hardware and starting afresh. Everyone you know is already on Xbox Live, right? Right.

Crimson Dragon – One the one hand, it’s from the creator of Panzer Dragoon and something of a spiritual successor to that much-loved Sega franchise. On the other hand, it was announced as an Xbox 360 Kinect title and has been egregiously delayed. Your burning lust for all things Grounding is therefore tempered by concern that we may have another Steel Battalion on our hands; Crimson Dragon was conceived in the same initiative. This downloadable title has been reworked for traditional controls, which is a blessing, and may spawn more complex sequels if successful.

Dead Rising 3 – If you’re German, just skip over this section, would you? I’m sorry. Dead Rising 3 is, as noted above, a perfect showcase for next-gen hardware because what the series has always tried to do has been hampered by current-gen tech; have you seen the Wii version? For this reason we’ll forgive it for graphical comparisons to Uncharted, a current-gen release. We’re looking forward to seeing it in action as Capcom is pretty confident in its product, talk of low frame rates notwithstanding.

Fighter Within – What’s a console launch without something ridiculous and exclusive from Ubisoft? Fighter Within is a Kinect title, described as an “immersive total-body combat experience”. Ubisoft’s long experience with Kinect suggests if anybody can pull this off, it can – but we’re not convinced the tech is ready for motion controlled fighters yet. The online multiplayer might be a laugh, assuming it actually happens. This one’s gone dreadfully quiet.

Forza 5 – Microsoft’s premiere racing franchise is the only triple-A first-party property the platform holder has brought to the table. It’s going up against Sony’s DriveClub, an unknown quantity, which gives it the advantage of the roaring Forza fanbase. There’s not really that much to say about racers, except that they keep getting prettier and new hardware is a help with that, but Microsoft’s trying anyway: it uses 100% of the Xbox One’s power, apparently.

Killer Instinct – Now here’s something unusual for the conservative Microsoft. A resurrection of beloved fighter franchise Killer Instinct sounds great until you focus on the details; original creator Rare has been reduced to in-house mini-game compilations and motion control tech, leaving development largely to Double Helix Games, a jobbing team responsible for Battleship, of all things. It’s free-to-play – great! – but only one character is free – what? – and it’ll be quite interesting to see how this goes down with core and non-core gamers alike in the months after hardware launch. It does have some interesting tech behind it, though; it will be balanced in-cloud, rather than by patches, and Double Helix has vowed to hit 60FPS.

Lococyle – Twisted Pixel seems to have signed on with Microsoft for the long haul, but given the platform holder funded the Gunstringer and now a game about sentient motorcycles it’s hard to see this as a bad thing. The downloadable title will run you $20 at launch, but recent trailers make it look meaty enough to meet premium pricing.

Peggle 2 – EA isn’t playing favourites this generation; it’s offered exclusive content on both sides of the divide. Xbox One has a slight advantage, though, and one of the contributing factors is serving as lead platform for Peggle 2. Popcap’s magnificent time waster will inevitably come to other platforms, but while it may not charm the core there is a strong contingent of casual consumers out there thinking “I can play Peggle 2 on this multifunction set-top box? This is relevant to my interests.”

Powerstar Golf – I literally know three things about Powerstar Golf: it’s in the Xbox One launch line up; it was developed by Zoë Mode; and it’s about golf. Microsoft hasn’t seen fit to bless us with any further information, which speaks volumes.

Ryse: Son of Rome – I can’t say I’m feeling terrifically confident about this one, chaps. The collective Internet consciousness seems to have forgotten that it has been in the works since 2009 under the codename Kingdoms; was originally announced as an Xbox 360 title for Kinect, has gone through multiple reboots and left a trail of lay-offs in its wake. All these things are true, though, and somehow or other it’s still not ready; Crytek is crunching like a male underwear model to get Ryse: Son of Rome out the door, having shoved in traditional controls and microtransactions.

Zoo Tycoon – Here’s a little behind the scenes gossip for you; Steph and I are both tragic animal lovers and therefore firmly against old-fashioned zoos unless we can play a video game with them and maybe trade zebra foals. Therefore Zoo Tyccon makes us very happy; it’s going to have some pretty rad social aspects which draw on real-life conservation themes. It’s at least the second attempt to bring Zoo Tycoon to consoles, and is also coming to Xbox 360.

Xbox Fitness – Racing game? Shooting game? Free-to-play game? Fighting game? Social game? Sports game? Check, check, check, check, check, check. Well, Jim, I think between us and the third-parties we have this launch stitched up. What’s Nintendo got that we don’t have, eh? Oh, a fitness game? Hmm. Alright. Whip something up with that camera jobbie, get some famous trainers in and make it free during the launch window. Call it – let’s see, Wii Fit, so – Xbox Fitness! Right, good job team, let’s go for a quick smoke and start on the Xbox Two.

Zumba Fitness World Party – You may rubbish Majesco’s mum-friendly rhythm action series but it sells gangbusters. Zumba Fitness World Party is also coming out on Wii, Wii U and Xbox 360 – like Just Dance, it goes wherever there is a strong motion tech install base.

Tune in tomorrow for a look at games headed to both consoles; Sony’s PS4 launch line-up of exclusives is already available. Launch line up shouldn’t be your only consideration when choosing a console, of course; both systems have loads of exclusives and third-party titles coming during their launch windows and beyond.

1. monkeygourmet

I think MS has done well with the launch titles. It didn’t need to waste a shooter release what with COD and BF already releasing at the same time. Sony kind of wasted Killzone in this respect.

They have a good spread of titles from all genres, and first dibs on some DLC stuff too. I think Watchdogs slipping was more of a blow to Sony than it is to MS.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Gronke09

I would only buy a Xbox for Killer Instinct, rest seems boring. The dragon game looks a bit cheap. A new gears game would be nice. Think I will stay with my ps4 pre – order.

#2 9 months ago
  3. tezzer1985

I think they are both underwhelming, but I’ve been waiting 8 years for a new console…I’ll properly spend hours messing around with each consoles settings and options, before I play anything

#3 9 months ago
  4. Juice_Man101

All I wanna do is remote play something. I don’t care what game it. It just has to be done before I do anything else.

#4 9 months ago
  5. fengato

Forza for XB1 and Killzone for PS4 are the only exclusives I’ll be grabbing. To be frank though, I’m more interested in Ghosts and BF4.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Joe Musashi

Of what has been shown, Lococycle looks the most inventive and interesting title. I like its tone too.

I tend to wait a year before investing in next-gen. I don’t see any reason to change that habit.

JM

#6 9 months ago
  7. mistermogul

Moving to Sony next gen, the only franchises I will miss will be Forza and PGR.

I did like Panzer Dragoon back on the original Xbox so Crimson Dragon might be cool but other than that I can live without Halo and Gears. Infamous, LBP, Uncharted etc appeal much more to me than MS’s usual output…

#7 9 months ago
  8. DrDamn

Agree good spread of titles. Quite a few I’m personally not interested it, but can see why others are. I’m probably most interested in how Powerstar Golf turns out strangely and am glowering at Sony for not having announced a new Everybodies for PS4 yet.

#8 9 months ago
  9. Game Hunter

It does have a great launch line up,but can it live to this?360 got a better launch line up this gen too,but the rest of generation it didn’t get much more exclusives,and they’re already showing their 3 years support by having zero AAA exclusives for 360 this year while Sony used it’s most important devs,like Naughty Dog and Polyphony, to launch 4 exclusives this year for PS3.I don’t want to sound like a fanboy, but I think Micro only wants to attract others to it’s console and then keep doing the same pattern they had this gen.I have a 360 for current-gen,but I always envy PS3 owners.sorry Micro,I like Forza 5 so much,but I’m not falling for you this time.

#9 9 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

Thats exactly the thing.

Does Sony even need to release anything other than Indie stuff at launch to still ‘beat’ MS? That way they can hold back other titles till they need them (the first year is always the toughest).

MS still have exclusives to fall back on, but not half as many unless they start to announce their newer stuff.

Mind you, maybe exclusives aren’t as important as they once were. The Wii U has had the most exclusives in recent times but it hasn’t done diddly squat for that machine. Maybe people just want COD / FIFA and maybe the odd exclusives here and there.

Certainly seems that way.

#10 9 months ago
  11. G1GAHURTZ

I’m so hyped about being able to DL all games, day one.

No more discs for me, thanks!

Atm, I’m only really interested in CoD and the free version of KI, until Titanfall…

Maybe Forza, but I can’t be bothered to be spending 10s of hours unlocking cars, when I could be ranking up in CoD.

Want to get to at least 5th prestige…

#11 9 months ago
  12. Dragon

I am more interested in how much stock they have for 2014. Both X1 and PS4 wont suffer from horrible Wii U syndrome of no titles for months, but it seems MS is a bit light in 2014. Sony still hasn’t shown most of its 20 1st party titles on first year, while MS has shown almost all of them (15) at E3.

#12 9 months ago
  13. mistermogul

@9 – “I have a 360 for current-gen,but I always envy PS3 owners…”

I was the same though a month ago I sold my 360 to get a PS3 so I could catch up on the exclusives I missed before the PS4 comes out and I’m glad I did.

For me the 360 was the best console to own back in 2006 but now I’d easily say the PS3 comes out top thanks to it’s exclusives. It feels like MS is happy just to buy time-exclusive content these days rather than having their own exclusive titles.

#13 9 months ago
  14. Ge0force

I really prefere the more diverse launch line-up of the PS4. Most of MS’ launch exclusives are just more of the same. With a new generation, a want more than just better graphics. At least Sony seems to understand that.

But that’s just my opinion. Most of the mainstream gamers are only interested in sequels. And Microsoft seems to understand that too.

#14 9 months ago
  15. fengato

Dragon:

“Both X1 and PS4 wont suffer from horrible Wii U syndrome of no titles for months, but it seems MS is a bit light in 2014.”

MS haven’t announced a tonne of titles, though Titanfall and Halo will outsell most of the Sony stuff combined. Just as Gears and Halo did back in years gone by.

#15 9 months ago
  16. super3001

this launch laugh in face of ps3.5 bad launch games.

looks even beter now drivecrap is delay lol.

#16 9 months ago
  17. Dragon

@15,
    Halo is like GT, top level exclusive in terms of sales.
    “most of the Sony stuff combined.”
    Numbers? Because its false, unless you are talking US only. Both companies have best selling titles.

#17 9 months ago
  18. fengato

@16 The whole PS3.5 thing makes no sense. Why label it that when Sony have stepped up to the plate with much healthier specs than the XB1? Stupid fanboy meme.

Don’t remember these kind of headlines?

#18 9 months ago
  19. Legendaryboss

Shitstorm incoming….

#19 9 months ago
  20. Legendaryboss

Super3001 is an Xbox Troll, do not feed.

Edit: Those headlines don’t stand true today.

#20 9 months ago
  21. Legendaryboss

Forza 5, Ryse Son of Rome and maybe Titanfall (still haven’t warmed up to it like others) are on my watch list.

But like some here i’m waiting till next year, if no impulse purchases happen for Christmas.

#21 9 months ago
  22. Dragon

@18,
    Looks like you didnt read what I said-
    “unless you are talking US only”
    NPD is US only. There is a worldwide parity. You can look up official Sony and MS numbers to confirm that.
    I am actually surprised how many people extrapolate US numbers to entire world.

#22 9 months ago
  23. fengato

@ Dragon. Didn’t see the U.S stipulation on the first read of your post. Did you edit? No matter, as the point is still generally valid. MS didn’t have a large number of properties to draw on, though franchises like Gears and Halo racked up the numbers. Forza will sell well throughout the year (Shame Kazunori couldn’t knock up a quick PS4 version of GT6 for us) Titanfall will do well throughout the central part of the year, and Halo will give them all that they need come the end of 2014.

#23 9 months ago
  24. Game Hunter

@13 you should learn how to write first,then comment,Xbox troll.I was once like you,but I discovered that I was fooling myself and was ignoring the truth.You think Micro U-turned because of die hard fans like you?they were scared like hell from the pre-order numbers,so they said:”okay guys,we fucked up,and please come and buy our new Xbox 180″I’m not saying that Sony is a saint,but at least they acted much more smarter than Microsoft.

#24 9 months ago
  25. Dragon

@23,
    Forza isn’t GT, and Titanfall are on 360 and PC too, so I doubt MS will scape through 2014 with only the games they announced.
    Its all about marketing imo. MS marketed Gears and Halo, Sony markets GT,Uncharted, whatever SM,ND or MM will produce.
    It isnt really a surprise that MS games outsell Sony games in US now is it? 360 has a much bigger install base in US.

Anyway tl;dr version, X1 looks weak in 2014 imo. We can agree on disagreeing on that one :)

#25 9 months ago
  26. TheBlackHole

I’m holding fire on all platforms right now, as I’m still none the wiser as to who (if anyone) Valve and Epic align themselves with, among other things.

With Gears of War and Left 4 Dead both Microsoft exclusives (in current gen), sequels on the Xbox One would make my decision very easy. I have a feeling both developers a more likely to go multi-platform though, so we’ll see.

I’m going to Valve’s dev day(s) in Jan, so I’m keen to see how I feel about the hardware they’re bringing to the table, especially the controller. If they get strong third party support and it’s treated like a social gaming machine (i.e. have support for local multiplayer/split screen), I’ll probably invest the inevitable extra cash to get a high end Steambox.

#26 9 months ago
  27. TheBlackHole

@24 “they acted much more smarter”

#27 9 months ago
  28. naffgeek

@26 I am with you, going to hold back as they both have strengths and weakness’s for me.

I like Sony’s attitude towards indie and innovation and their exclusive studios are much more appealing to me.

Microsoft seem to be playing it really safe and banking on the big hitters but I still think their network infrastructure will mean xbox live is still the place to be for online gaming.

Looking forward to some PC/PS4/XBone comparisons. I am leaning more PC at the moment.

#28 9 months ago

Mortal Kombat 2,
    Shenmue 3 (ccccccccccccccccmon Sega geez),
    Soul Calibur VI,
    Left 4 Dead 3,
    Portal 3,
    Sonic Adventure 3 ;)

And the most important development – OCULUS RIFT!

#29 9 months ago
  30. Game Hunter

Sorry I wanted to write for @16 but wrote for @13.my bad

#30 9 months ago
  31. BillyBatts

“…if you haven’t already made up your mind, now’s the time.”

Not it’s not. It’s really, really not. Wait and see how it all plays out, let the early adopters suffer the ridiculous prices and threadbare launch schedule. In 8-9 months time, it will become patently clear which of the two will suit your personal tastes.

#31 9 months ago
  32. Pytox

@29 well for the rift you’ll better move to pc i guess :p
    and portal 3 wont be happening anytime soon, in the magazine about portal 2 – the final hours
    “What wasn’t so simple, however, was figuring out what this sequel would entail. Valve wanted to surprise players all over again, and their first attempt at a sequel involved throwing most of the old concepts out the window.”
    so for another sequel to the 2nd one would be quite hard :p

#32 9 months ago
  33. Killerbee

The biggest problem with the Xbox One launch line-up for me is that the biggest games just focus on the wrong genres for me.

Shooters, action adventure, RPGs, platformers, cheap but quirky indie novelties – all good.

It’s just that the biggest first party games are a hardcore racer and a fighting game. And I just don’t like either – it’s not a Sony fanboy thing – I ignored Gran Turismo 5 and will continue to ignore GT6 as well. Worse still, the only other pack-in offer is FIFA. Ugh.

That kind of leaves a load of Kinect games (or *former* Kinect games which makes me highly sceptical), some fitness shovelware, a couple of decent titles I played on PC ages ago and just one potential game I might like.

And try as I might, I just don’t see Dead Rising a system seller.

Titanfall looks great, but it’s a few months away yet (and I might just play it on PC anyway).

Sony need to resolve the DriveClub worry, but assuming that makes it, along with Killzone, Resogun and Knack (for the kids), plus the same multi-plats to fill the gaps, I don’t see any real reason to choose the more expensive Xbox One over a PS4.

#33 9 months ago
  34. monkeygourmet

I think Sony has to show a bit more really. The second hand game / price fiasco were easy victories.

E3 has been and gone and they really need to show the next step for PS4.

They seem to have stalled abit IMO.

#34 9 months ago
  35. Moonwalker1982

I partly agree about KI. Yes it’s odd that Rare isn’t developing it, but it is said they keep a very close eye on it. And to be fair, it looks and plays absolutely awesome from what I heard from my friend that is a hardcore KI fan. I guess a full game with all characters would have been great, but I can understand why it’s not. How long has it been since a new KI? The Street Fighters and Mortal Kombats kept coming and they sell well…but that is not guaranteed for KI.

#35 9 months ago
  36. Panthro

Only one that has me a little bit interested is dead rising 2, I wouldn’t consider buying any of the others.

Maybe Halo 5, once they show some gameplay.. and they have to switch it up this time since everything from Halo 3 on-wards felt stale.

#36 9 months ago
  37. Panthro

I mean, is Xbox Fitness, Zumba: World Party, Peggle 2 and Powerstar Golf even worth mentioning? or is it the article just needed more padding…

And Lococycle just looks like a qwirky game I would buy on XBLA one day for under £5…

PS4 has more variety, I like variety… Its a win for PS4 today, for me anyway.

#37 9 months ago
  38. monkeygourmet

It it does give an elusive fighter option that ties up the Xbone launch pretty well: Fighter, Racing Game, open World, Third person action game.

Sony have Injustice, but im not sure if thats launch and a lot of people will have already played it on 360/PS3.

I have a feeling we will already be ready for Ryse 2, Forza 6 by the time GT PS4 and God of War 4 come out.

I think MS have built some strong foundations with this launch.

#38 9 months ago
  39. zoopdeloop

@35 KI is a meaningless game amongst others of the same genre just like Resistance was on ps3 and probably Knack on ps4.
    Still Injustice has the edge on this one even if it’s already on current gen.A very good fighter from respected developers pumped up for the next gen

Ryse 2?don’t bet on it.From what we’ve seen and the general reception so far one can already tell where Ryse is heading.
    Remember Too Human(another God of War inspired game)

As for GoW,i think Santa Monica already moved on to something else (about time) and something big as rumor has it

@39 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQfzwFloVqA

#39 9 months ago
  40. raftos

Just came here to say that the ps4 will cost US$ 1851,00 in Brazil. Thank You, Sony!

#40 9 months ago
  41. SplatteredHouse

Wow. I knew they were lacking first-party, but DAMN, if that ain’t one bare cupboard!
    Also, Crimson Dragon != Sequel to Blue Dragon. :( Mistwalker, in that and Lost Odyssey, they brought some grand introductions, broadening the appeal of 360 around launch. Nothing like that for nextbox. D:

#41 9 months ago
  42. thesnowman

I got a ps4 and a xbone pre ordered, but I have to put one away for xmas (damn wife). So I have been weighing up what console I want to keep open and what one gets wrapped up for around a month. So even though the PS4 looks an awesome console, I am not really digging the launch line up. Only Knack and Killzone peak my interest, although Infamous 3 looks awesome.

So I am think about keeping the xbone out as I am quite interested in Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. I figure that would keep me busy till xmas. I will also get AC4, FIFA and maybe battlefield at some point.

#42 9 months ago
  43. DreadSabot

This idiot obviously has not been following The development channels on Twitch and knows nothing about the games on deck for now or 2014.

I plan to get both but you can see on any day how much effort Microsoft has dedicated to launch titles and 2014.

Weekly they are showing games on Twitch TV – check it out and see it, stuff in development that looks good to be sure. I do not see Sony showing games at this point.

Killer Instinct looks to be a great tournament fighter in the making and its supposed to extend to multiple seasons. People who buy the full version for 60 also get the original KI Arcade games – that’s 2 good fighters.

Forza 5 is Forza and it speaks for itself.

Crimson Dragon is the spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon and looks to be a very good shooter with lots of replay-ability.

Ryse has been shaping up to be an impressive showpiece and pretty gory to boot – as opposed to listening to the hate maybe this gimp should first try it and then report back to us on it.

I would call that well rounded – Fighter, racer, arcade shooter, open world – games that will take a good amount of play time and with good replay.

On the other hand ps4 has Killzone for launch – the 1 must have exclusive on that system. With Improved online play.

Resogun – a slick looking shooter reminds me of R-Type.

Driveclub which is likely to be pushed to 2014

Knack which is a toss up right now.
    So other than multi-platform games – what games are we playing on PS4 at launch.

After that – as in for 2014
    There are only 3 games on ps4 that are exclusive must haves.

Deep down
    The Order
    Infamous second sons.

For X1
    Quantum Break
    Below
    Sunset Overdrive
    D4
    Fable Legacy
    Titan Fall

And those are just the ones we know of. Expect a Halo announcement by summer and maybe a gears and some other IPs.

The PS4 lineup is lacking – face it and the loss of Watchdoqs which I pre-ordered for ps4 is a big Blow – deny it all you like.

Please post your list of games you plan to be playing on Ps4 from now until Summer of 2014 that you cannot play on another system. It seems to be there is just enough to hold me off for the 2 weeks between ps4 launch and X1 launch (if I only buy exclusives), or maybe I a missing some games here and please no octodad – that looks trash!

#43 9 months ago
  44. monkeygourmet

“but I have to put one away for xmas (damn wife)”

I can see who wears the carrot in your relationship!

#44 9 months ago
  45. Phoenixblight

Those titles besides D4, Below(which will be out for Ps4), and Titanfall don’t have dates anywhere. I like how you have to pull hypothetical releases for Xbox One to bolster launch window releases.

#45 9 months ago
  46. Ilovesony

all you guys rock!!! for once there is no bickering back and forth about whos systems better.. we are finally having a good discussion based on games…. damn… maybe you guys should all run for congress and then the government shutdown wouldnt have lasted so long…. You all make me proud to be a gamer…. Watch out for Noc_Da_Sniper on PS4… COD.. Im head hunting everyone… “I got love for you all but im trying to Murder you dudes”

#46 9 months ago
  47. deathm00n

I was planning to get a PS4, really, I was keeping money stored and then sony did this: http://www.vg247.com/forum/topic.php?id=47872

To me the games on PS4 appeal way more to me. But with this news I think I may get a Xbox One down the line, even tough no exclusive from them makes me carve for it and I’m against their policies.

#47 9 months ago
  48. derpachu

@46 below is confirmed to be timed, but not known on which platforms.
    “Don’t have release dates anywhere” yeah, slot of games don’t? You make no sense.

#48 9 months ago
  49. Phoenixblight

Makes plenty of sense if you learned to flipping read.

THe titles mentioned besides D4,Titanfall and Below. Don’t have release date or even a release window. Derp

#49 9 months ago
  50. EdgizAwesome

”Microsoft bets big on short-but-sweet exclusives”
    by that they mean ”Let’s make short cheap games and charge full price to squeeze all those dollars we’re missing out on from changing that one policy.”

#50 9 months ago
  51. DreadSabot

Deep Down also does not have a release Date on PS4 but I am still going to go ahead and assume its in 2014 so I listed it.

Whats your point other than being a douche?
    Deep down,The Order and Infamous second sons also DO NOT have firm release dates – but it is safe to think I can play them in 2014 right?

Please point me to ALL of the exclusives coming for the PS4 since you obviously are the Playstation Defense force member on this site. Just like the writer of this article you are either misinformed about the available games or you need to justify your purchase.

I do not since I can afford both systems – but please tell me this list of Exclusives that are hitting both systems in the launch window – And please DO NOT spout off a bunch of indie trash – the best indie games are still on PC last I checked

Cheers.

#51 9 months ago
  52. DreadSabot

@51 please tell me how Forza 5 and DR3 are short games or cheap to make?
    And also tell how this is a worse strategy then not having any real exclusives? Killzone being the only proven hit in the PS4 guns on day one.

I am curious because I see a lot Microsoft hate but not a lot of actual games on PS4 that say yeah NEED TO UPGRADE.

And like I clarified for @50 I am just curious as I have ordered both because I like to game but really can’t see why anyone would be riding for the PS4 lineup so hard at this point – other than the novelty of owning a new machine day 1.

#52 9 months ago
  53. ianbenoir

Ps4 price over the world:

#53 9 months ago
  54. gomersoul

Ms has a better launch lineup, Sony has a better system, I know what I’d rather have. Though the best thing to do would be to wait till next Christmas, shame I’m not that smart

#54 9 months ago
  55. lookingglass

Let’s look at real games instead of loading up on indies to win a game count.

I’m not paying $400 or $500 to play indies. I pay that kind of money for AAA experiences I can’t get anywhere else.

That’s like buying a $10,000 entertainment center to watch the best Vines or YouTube shorts. Yes, those are cool, but they aren’t why you spend that kind of money.

#55 9 months ago
  56. Hcw87

Your statement makes no sense.

The system with the best games should be everyone’s choice. Not the one with the supposed ”40% increased power”.

If you like games on PS4, you buy a PS4.
    If you like games on XB1, you buy an XB1.
    If you like games on both, you buy both.

If you want power, you buy a PC.

#56 9 months ago
  57. ysleiro

@ Those wondering why PS4 gets called PS3.5 even though it is supposedly faster hardware.

I think those that call it that are trolling a bit but I don’t think they are knocking it’s hardware. More like it’s features. From a feature perspective not much that is being done on PS4 couldn’t be done on a PS3 (obviously I’m not talking about performance here).

Admittedly the same argument can be made for the new Xbox however not to the degree of the PS4 since the new Xbox brings a Kinect in all bundles.

#57 9 months ago
  58. derpachu

@50 so doesn’t fable legends or sunset overdrive quantum break The order. Hardly been confirmed for a 2014 release. Derp

#58 9 months ago
  59. super3001

a cookie for you!

yes ps4 is ps3 remix with a turbo charger. psn is same slow obsolete shit as last gen. ui is same outdated crap and it got limited camera suport and os features.

sony dont understand a console is much more than horsepower today. they are stuck in past thinking of pixels push is everything. that what pc build is for!

so now they got problem from short sighted. no system dev talent no good infrastructure and no investment in infrastructure from selling console at a loss.

#59 9 months ago
  60. UuBuU

The games range from mediocre to TERRIBLE for both consoles.

PC gaming looks infinitely more exciting over the next year.

#60 9 months ago
  61. bradk825

The only exclusives I think I’ll be going for right off the bat are Ryse, Forza, and Zoo Tycoon (yeah, I said it! Zoo Tycoon! …I’m a dad…) Then later Kinect Sports Rivals.

Mostly I am excited for the spring and playing Destiny, Watchdogs and Titanfall.

#61 9 months ago
  62. fearmonkey

Say what you will about games for either system, but they both come up lacking in my opinion. If you have a decent PC, most of the great third party games are coming there too.

PS4 wins out for me as it has Killzone and Knack (I love Platformers and never played a Killzone game so I am looking forward to it), Xbox One has Ryse (Not a fan of Forza or the Dead Rising series) so it’s barely in the PS4′s favor game wise.

I have mentioned this before but I don’t get MS. if I was them, I would have had 343 release the Halo 4 multiplayer as free to play, or extremely cheap with new maps maybe. IF they would have done that and had some sneak peak into the next Halo (like 1 map that will be in the next game, that would have brought sales).

If Rare was doing Killer Instinct, I would care more about that title, but they arent and I feel MS ruined Rare, so I find myself unhappy about that title. It looks decent but not enough to get me really excited about it.

On third party, Watch Dogs was my most wanted but now it’s up in the air. I’ll rent Battlefield 4, AC 4, COD:Ghosts, and look forward to Infamous 2 and Thief. Driveclub I’ll play the PS4 Plus version and see what I think before making a choice.

#62 9 months ago
  63. DreadSabot

@63 – check out maxillians you tube channel about details about KI –

you might find its actually in really good hands and let not forget Many of rares team is part of the team working on it.

The more I watch this channel the more I am impressed with what they are attempting to do here.

#63 9 months ago
  64. zoopdeloop

@52 You need to be reminded how 360 started.Only in it’s early years it had it’s fair share of exclusives.Then it was only about timed exclusive DLC,while Ps3 kept going with a very respected AAA line up ,until today
    Let’s get real here,Sony and Nintendo each have much more exclusives in every generation than Microsoft does.Makes sense since they have much more experience in the console industry as well as having first and second party studios.
    Ps3′s only drawback was the catalogue of inferior multiplatform games compared to 360′s.This isn’t an issue now.

there are many ps4 AAA games not announced yet… very doubtfull this can be said with One

#64 9 months ago
  65. Phoenixblight

The order is said to be aimed for 2014 as well as Deep Down that is not the case for the large majority of those games you mentioned for the Xbox One. Not even a release window set in place.

#65 9 months ago
  66. Legendaryboss

Reading…

#66 9 months ago
  67. fengato

fearmonkey : “I don’t get MS. if I was them, I would have had 343 release the Halo 4 multiplayer as free to play, or extremely cheap with new maps maybe. IF they would have done that and had some sneak peak into the next Halo (like 1 map that will be in the next game, that would have brought sales).”

I personally think they’ve allocated their resources cleverly. They know that going up against Ghosts and BF4 with a half-done shooter is potentially self-defeating. Instead they’ve got a top drawer racer, and a fighter (with nostalgic roots) – neither of which have next-gen competition. Then they buy off early DLC for the two big shooters to make them defacto soft exclusives. Sadly, Killzone is going to get lost in the mix come November.

#67 9 months ago
  68. Kanok

I blamed fucking Don Mattrick, because he do not interest to make AAA games. Mattrick just made a shitty Kinect games and ruined Xbox brand.

#68 9 months ago
  69. XanderZane

There are some decent games on the XBox One. Forza 5, DR3, Ryse & Killer Instinct all look good. True, only Forza 5 is the AAAE in the pack, but more games like Titanfall, Crackdown 2, Halo 5, etc.. are all coming out in 2014.

The PS4 only has KZ:SF & Knack at this point. Drive Club was delayed. Watchdog was delayed as well. The Order 1886, won’t be out until next year, as well as Infamous SS. Besides KZ & infamous SS, I don’t see any other AAAE titles for the PS4.

Both systems will have to rely on multiplat for the first 2-3 months of their existence to keep gamers happy.

#69 9 months ago