PS4 vs Xbox One: Sony’s launch line-up is populous but whimsical

Wednesday, 16th October 2013 07:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

PS4 and Xbox One are just a few weeks away; if you haven’t already made up your mind, now’s the time. We kick off a close look at both consoles’ software line-up with Sony’s multitude of exclusives.

PS4: launch line up works with PlayStation’s strengths

Below you’ll find a list of titles known to be available for PlayStation 4 when it launches in North America on November 15 and in Europe on November 29. Over the next few days, we’ll take a look at the Xbox One’s line-up, as well as a hefty group of big-hitters shared by both platforms.

Going purely by numbers, Sony clearly has the advantage, but enough of its line up is composed of indies and ports of existing games that the extra titles may not carry as much weight with the core, early-adopter audience. On the other hand, those after a bit of diversity will be well-rewarded by the PS4, and the Xbox One lacks a really strong first-party exclusive like Halo to remind fans why Microsoft’s box has reigned supreme in North America this generation.

PlayStation has become something of an indie darling over the past year and its launch line-up reflects this. As such, it’s heavy on digital releases and whimsical experiences – but Sony has played it safe and packed in some hefty exclusives, too. This list does not include titles announced for Japanese PS4 launch but as yet unconfirmed for the west such as Dynasty Warriors 8: Xtreme Legends and Yakuza Ishin.

Basement Crawl – PlayStation favourite Bloober Team – whom we still have a soft spot for, since it’s the remains of Sadness developer Nibris – is back with another digital-only title. Basement Crawl is a maze-based multiplayer action game with a dark childhood aesthetic and gameplay inspired by Spy vs Spy and Bomberman.

Blacklight: Retribution – Zombie Studios is bringing its free-to-play shooter to PS4 after garnering reasonable success on PC. The multiplayer only sequel to Blacklight: Tango Down is looking pretty tasty on the new hardware.

Contrast – An indie also coming to PC, PS3 and Xbox 360, Contrast is an action-adventure platformer with bold aesthetic direction. It stars not one but two females, one of whom is a little girl, and its plot concerns a shattered marriage and imaginary friends. It has a stunning swing soundtrack and looks altogether glorious, actually.

Counterspy – One of three Sony-published indies announced before E3 this year, Counterspy is a Cold War-inspired sidescrolling spy action game also coming to PS3 and Vita. The PlayStation Blog had an early look at it but it’s gone fairly quiet since the PS4 reveal.

DC Universe Online – Sony Online Entertainment’s free-to-play licensed superhero MMO is, of course, already available on PC and PS3, but the publisher is keen to further capitalise on its console success. And it has been a success, make no mistake; the PS3 version of DCUO is SOE’s fastest-growing business segment.

Divekick – A bit of an odd one, Divekick is both a parody and distillation of the fighter genre. It has just one move – the titular divekick – so instead of focusing on knowing combos battles boil down to the real skill of head-to-head fighting, namely anticipating and reacting to your opponent’s actions. It’s already out on PS3 and Vita and was recently passed through Steam Greenlight, but if you haven’t checked it out yet it’s really worth a look.

Doki-Doki Universe – The second entry in our indie trilogy, Doki-Doki Universe is a strange beast indeed. From the mind that created Toejam & Earl, and in the works since at least April 2012, it will have a free-to-play component with messaging and personality quizzes, plus premium DLC providing an “RPG/Simulation/Interactive Story” game in a “huge simulated living universe”. It’s also coming to PS3 and Vita, and you should probably check out its trailer, which is packed with adorable robots.

Driveclub – What needs to be said about Sony’s very sensible decision to include a racing game in a hardware launch? The frequently embarrassing Ridge Racer has thankfully gone into hiding, and Sony has instead mustered Evolution Studios for a new kind of racer – massively social and partially free-to-play. Racers do best on new consoles, since they’re mainly sold on graphics, and Driveclub looks incredibly shiny.

Flower – Yes, it’s a re-release, but a PlayStation home console without a single compatible thatgamejourney title should be a crime. Flower was the company’s break-out hit after the under-the-radar success of flOw, and presaged the long, troubled development of its incredible opus Journey. You play the wind. It’s pretty rad, and it’ll be interesting to see how much more lovely the PS4 version looks in comparison to the PS3 release.

Hohokum – The final member of the indie triumvirate hails from Honeyslug, the developer of Frobisher Says currently incubating inside SCE Santa Monica, just as thatgamecompany did. Hohokum is also coming to PS3 and Vita, and gets its colour from a collaboration with artist Richard Hogg. It aims to avoid gaming tropes like missions and failure, but does contain secrets and trophies. We’ve been waiting for this one for a while, as it’s been floating about the festival circuit for ages.

Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition – Warner Bros. and Sony are clearly having a bit of a mutual lovefest at the moment, as NetherRealm’s DC-licensed fighter is coming to both PS4 and Vita – and not Xbox One. We’re yet to see the next-gen version in action, unfortunately.

Killzone: Shadow Fall – Another stupidly obvious launch inclusion. Although Battlefield and Call of Duty provide plenty of shooty-shoot this November, that Sony managed to get a first-party shooter in time for new hardware but Microsoft didn’t is a puzzle. It’s a win for Guerrilla, though; Killzone: Shadow Fall may not quite have the chops to stand up to Halo 4 or Gears of War 4 but it’s a solid property from a great team, and a heck of a lot better choice than another Resistance.

Knack – The man who led the hardware design of the PS4 has also made a game for it. Mark Cerny has been open about his admiration for games like Crash Bandicoot, which were simple but challenging, and hopes Knack will help address the lack of character action games in recent generations. That said, he wants it to be a launch title for the whole family, and to be easy enough to be someone’s first game, possibly thanks to local co-op.

Minecraft – Mojang’s sandbox finally makes the jump to PlayStation after years of waiting. Detractors may claim that everybody is over Minecraft, but they said the same thing when it came to Xbox 360, where it proceeded to sell gangbusters regardless. Sony’s growing acceptance of frequent updates and developer ownership may end up making the Sony version better. Minecraft is also coming to PS3 and Vita.

N++ – This one almost got lost in the noise of Sony’s sudden explosion of indie announcements. N++ represents the culmination of ten years of effort from developer Metanet Software, which has never quite felt satisfied with its platformer despite repeat iterations.

The Pinball Arcade – This Farsight Studios game is available on or on its way to practically everything except the Xbox One. We don’t know much about The Pinball Arcade, actually, but I’m going out on a limb to suggest it’s probably about Pinball. Gosh.

Planetside 2 – As mentioned above, Sony Online Entertainment is enjoying considerable success with its free-to-play console MMO adventures, and Planetside 2 is a bit of a no-brainer for PS4 since by all accounts it’s pretty splendid. It won’t have cross-play, unfortunately, but there is some possibility of character transfers and the UGC tools will come to the console.

Res0gun – Finnish developer Housemarque revived an Amiga classic for the PS3 with Super Stardust HD and thereby uncovered a lack in our lives we hadn’t even realised was there. Here’s hoping it does it again with Res0gun, a side scrolling shooter and spiritual successor to the Stardust series. It’s going to be free with PlayStation Plus on launch day.

Super Motherload – A procedurally-generated digging game, Super Motherload has been described by press as addictive and rewarding. It’s also coming to PS3, Mac and PC, and recently passed through Steam Greenlight.

Tiny Brains – A co-op puzzler from former Assassin’s Creed team members, Tiny Brains is also coming to PC and Xbox 360. All versions arrive simultaneously for North American PS4 launch.

War Thunder – Yet another free-to-play offering, War Thunder is a warplanes MMO from Gaijin Entertainment (not to be confused with Gaijin Games of Bit.Trip fame). The PC version is currently in beta with 3 million users, and the PS4 release will have cross-play from the get go. In fact, it’s not coming to Xbox One because Microsoft wouldn’t allow cross-play.

Warframe – The Darkness 2 developer Digital Extremes describes Warframe as a space ninja action game. It’s a free-to-play, third-person co-op shooter with procedurally generated environments, unique classes and lots of different customisations to unlock. It has an interesting sci-fi story and a sleek, organic aesthetic.

Tune in tomorrow and Friday for a look at the competition as well as games headed to both consoles. Launch line up shouldn’t be your only consideration when choosing a console, of course; both systems have loads of exclusives and third-party titles coming during their launch windows and beyond.

1. Erthazus

PS4 launch line-up is abyssmal. Half-of the games – PC games, half of the games multiplat games and third of them rereleases from PS3 and few shitty exclusives that does not sell a system.

Great launch lineup. Minecraft, Planetside 2… Warframe, warthunder.. where I played these games? Ah yes. Of course on the PC.

Knack…. Knack. Going to get PS4 just for that. lol

#1 10 months ago
  2. mxmassef

Call of duty ghosts, minecraft and blacklight retribution will be more than enough until the infamous second son, witcher 3 and metal gear solid 5 comes out. ( never played minecraft or blackligt retribution but they look really interestin :) )

#2 10 months ago
  3. Reddpayn

Ps4 is the right choice for me. It has better specs like the ps4′s hd7870 is way better than ones hd7790. So eventually the first party games will look better and have more advanced game engines. It is also 100 euros cheaper and playstation plus is just like some charity with all the free games (alltough there might not so many good ones in the beginning of this cycle). And sony also has the cloud (Gaikai) so ps4 can use that too.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Joe Anderson

Resogun is free for PS Plus on Day One, that was probably my game of the show at Eurogamer Expo. Happy with that. Knack and Killzone are also pretty great games.

#4 10 months ago
  5. EdgizAwesome

@1 This might sound completely insane but some console gamers have never played any of those or ever would if they weren’t coming out on the ps4…so you can go back to your bridge Erthatroll

#5 10 months ago
  6. game_on

Not one single game of this lineup has gained my interest. I’ll go for Ryse and Dead Rising 3.

#6 10 months ago
  7. OmegaSlayer

The point is that 80% of these games might not be lookers but will be fun.

#7 10 months ago
  8. xFidelCashflow

Being able to ride off F2P & free games from PS+ in between releases will be the greatest thing ever. Don’t have to stop gaming just because you can’t blow $60 every time a game comes out.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Ekona

There’s a lot of free stuff there, which is good to see. There’s also a lot there that initially appears to lack any depth, which could be a worry.

Still looks to me like Xbone has the better launch line-up, but the PS4 is better placed for the future.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Killerbee

I think it’s a pretty decent lineup. Killzone is the highlight for me – personally I enjoyed the MP in KZ2 and 3 more than any Call of Duty and only Battlefield Bad Company 2 really came close to besting those games this gen. I do also look forward to playing DriveClub and Resogun for “free” via my PS+ sub. I may get Knack if it reviews well. Add to that all the free to play games plus a good number of multi-plats (shame about Watch_Dogs though) and there more than enough to justify getting a PS4 on release for me.

Not stellar, and not as good as the Vita’s release day games, but still a good effort. Sony has done enough.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Creteck

I dont know but does Tequilas: Rime belong on the list or is it just games available at launch?
    Its probably the one PS4 game that i am most exited about.

#11 10 months ago
  12. TonyRomo

@7 I can play every game I want on my three year old Acer laptop which I got for $350. The only game I had troubles playing is Battlefield 4 Beta. It’s playable, but at 15-20fps it’s no fun. Yes, I do need to upgrade my machine to play it, just like console owner need to buy a new console (if you know how BF4 looks on current-gen, you’d agree). So…stop this crap about the need of yearly upgrades.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Erthazus

@5, So that’s why you need to buy a system for 400$ to play F2P games? OK.

@OmegaSlayer, “It’s true, many are on PC, but gaming on PC, updating your rig once a year and dealing with patches/drivers/compatibility is for basement warriors/graphic whores.”

Once a year? Are you nuts?

Hey, basement warrior you update every single month your PS3 with firmware updates and patches that PC does not need because you know why? It does it AUTOMATICALLY since the creation of Steam and Windows XP.

#13 10 months ago
  14. gomersoul

Yeah ps4 is in better shape for the future. The xbone isn’t that great either if we’re honest. Most only need cod, fifa, battlefield anyway. I can’t afford all these games at launch so will easily last me till 2014. To get a console for the launch lineup is ridiculous anyway. I pay 400 quid for the next 5 years at least, not 5 months

#14 10 months ago
  15. mistermogul

a) Do you ever have anything positive to say?

b) Can you please piss off. The drivel you write for comments is really draining.

#15 10 months ago
  16. matirishhh

I don’t know what this hype is really about? Those games are not even decent…you can get a way better games on a current gen. I’ll wait at least a year until I buy PS4…no point of having it now and becoming a beta tester for a new platform…

#16 10 months ago
  17. DrDamn

Diversity and the smaller titles is what I have really enjoyed with PS3 as it grew into the generation, and for me the PS4 is picking this up right from the off. Good mix of genres, big hitters, smaller titles and free stuff too.

I think the X1 launch line up is also pretty diverse too incidentally. Just more on the PS4 list, and what PS+ gets you, floats my boat.

#17 10 months ago
  18. FeaturePreacher

I’ll be enjoying killzone at launch along with drive club. Maybe I’ll get AC4, but that series has been going downhill since AC 3. Mostly I’m going to be using my ps4 for gaming especially with all the vita remote play. Dead Rising 3 on ps4 will be so good once the exclusivity window is over. Can’t wait to see MS pull their final 180 and get rid of kinect, but I hope the blogs don’t use the headline of pulling a 180. Instead they should say MS makes their console more like the ps4.

#18 10 months ago
  19. BlooberTeam

Hi guys, just wanted to say that we are called Bloober Team, not Blooper. ;)

#19 10 months ago
  20. Dave Cook

@19 Thanks :D On it.

#20 10 months ago
  21. monkeygourmet

Yeah, no

#21 10 months ago
  22. BlooberTeam

#20, you welcome ;)

#22 10 months ago
  23. Belazur

#1 Erthazus
    You should avoid any PS4/PS3 articles, because your fanboy / anti-PS4 shit is getting annoying already. Troll somewhere else!

btw. PS4 has a bigger selection of games than the XBone.
    You have a PC and you’re playing all these games on the PC?
    Great! Then you don’t need a console ….at all. Congrats!
    Try to play KILLZONE, DRIVECLUB, KNACK, Resogun, etc. on your PC.
    And please try to play games like RIME, Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture, Shadow of the Beast, inFAMOUS: Second Son, The Order: 1886, etc. on the PC next year.
    And please try to play Naughty Dogs next game, Sony Santa Monicas next game, Polyphone Digitals next game, Media Molecule’s next Game, etc. etc. on the PC.

Got it? I think so!
    But you don’t care, because you’re a dumb fanboy.

#23 10 months ago
  24. Kuwabara

even though it would be smart to wait till infamous 3 comes out, i just can’t do it. i don’t have the strength to hold back. I have to buy one at launch. I’m caught up with the hype, i need that ps4 on my table, standing up vertically or horizontal, whichever looks better, watching it shine and light up blue, the excitement of unboxing and setting it, reading the manual word for word, the thought has me drooling. I’m a die hard sony fan, and will savour every second of it. Definitely picking up knack, maybe kz and drive club.

#24 10 months ago
  25. VibraniumSpork

I’m down for K:SF, Lego Marvel Superheroes and AC4 at launch (was going with Watchdogs but, y’know), and thanks to the whole PS+/F2P situation I’ll undoubtedly be giving Driveclub, Res0gun, War Thunder and Warframe a try. Maybe Battlefield 4 too if Christmas-present-buying hasn’t left me penniless ^_^

And, really, that isn’t a bad launch line-up at all, certainly better than the 360 and PS3′s. If those Indies end-up living their promise it’ll be even better.

I still think Microsoft must be kicking themselves that they couldn’t wrangle Titanfall into being ready for XB1 launch day. If they had, I’ve got a feeling the PS4 would be in a much weaker position than it is now.

@24 +1 Nice to hear someone come out straight and say they’re just hyped about buying a new console ^_^ Buying it for the promise of having some shiny new tech is as good as any other reason!

#25 10 months ago
  26. EdgizAwesome

@13 to play these f2p games at same spec on pc would cost way more than $400 so yes i do need a $400 console to play these games, and all the other exclusives/third-parties.

Also for an article titled Ps4 vs Xbox One this sure doesn’t put any arguments for Xbox, only against ps4.

#26 10 months ago
  27. Joe Musashi

As loathe as I am to admit it, I’m in general agreement with Erthazus on this (though not on his wonky appreciation of fractions or his PC-elitist tone).

At launch, only Resogun truly interests me. There’s some stuff down the line that shows promise. Knack evokes memories of Kameo on 360 – a game I really enjoyed, so I’m not rushing to dismiss it or, ironically, claim it is ‘too kiddie’.

JM

#27 10 months ago
  28. Nfanboy

The PS4 doesn’t deserves all the ype with such a poor line up. It it wasn’t for 3rd party titles it would be PS2 level of crap launch.

#28 10 months ago
  29. Lv01

@25 agreed.
    killzone is exciting me, and with getting driveclub and resogun on PS+, and then hohokum..! plus all the f2p stuff and (for me) my 3rd party buy, madden… gonna be a good launch.
    bring on nov 29.

#29 10 months ago
  30. Panthro

@7 who upgrades there rig once a year? What a waste of money… I got a great gaming PC last year which should last me 3-4 years until I ‘need’ to upgrade anything and by ‘need’ it will be by choice of just wanting to upgrade my rig, its a good feeling to have… its like installing a new part to your car.

And lol… ‘Dealing’ with patches and driver updates? These days they are as simple as installing a game, your clearly very misinformed on how streamlined PC gaming has become over the past 10 years.

But I guess consoles are far superior since everything is nitted into a finely crafted, closed UI a 6 year old could use, because everything that isnt one button press away is terrible.

#30 10 months ago
  31. Javinator

PS4=Sony Ouya

#31 10 months ago
  32. dkpunk

Eh, not really interested in most of those games. Looks like I’ll just picking up KZ and BF4 at launch.

#32 10 months ago
  33. Javinator

Forza 5 destroys Drive Club.

And Knack?? Who buys a $400 next gen system to play Knack and a load of indie games???

#33 10 months ago
  34. Panthro

People who think knack is their sort of game, and those who like indie games.. is that really hard to grasp other people like different games?

Im more than happy with my PC, I wont be buying a console for a few years, but when I do its probably going to be a PS4 for the games the independent developers make, they usually have a lot of variety.. and I like games that try new things.

#34 10 months ago
  35. Panthro

Oooops double post.

#35 10 months ago
  36. super3001

All those PS3.5 indies will be made by community in project spark in days and much more game types all free to play.

Rest of ps3.5 launch is not good at all. xone has best launch lineup in history.

#36 10 months ago
  37. Moonwalker1982

None of titles truly make me look forward to the PS4. I never thought i’d say it, because i enjoyed Killzone 2 and loved Killzone 3, but the more they show of 3 the less excited i get. Maybe the media blowout on GT tomorrow will change that. I don’t give a shit about Driveclub and can’t help but feel that they should have made a racer similar to Motorstorm, cause DC looks boring as hell. Knack? No thank you. Give me a truly new Ratchet or better yet…a next J&D and i’m good.

But the same goes for Xbox One. We know too little about Ryse, yes it looks absolutely fabulous but something tells me the story will be around 5 hours or so and not incredibly special. Forza 5 will no doubt be fantastic for the fans but sim racers are boring to me, give me Horizon 2 :). KI looks great but i am not a huge fighter fan, so that leaves Dead Rising 3 which i really look forward to. It’s really not a big deal that the Xbox One was delayed in my country, by the time it releases here, Titanfall is around the corner.

But solely looking at the games on offer…Xbox One’s clearly wins the launch line up.

#37 10 months ago
  38. Panthro

@36 Ok, you have fun with free your level creator ;)

I guess since project spark is coming out developers on the xbox no longer need to pay for any licenses for game engines, since project spark seems to be the ultimate easy to use game creation tool.

#38 10 months ago
  39. Kuwabara

@ 28. What exactly were you expecting from launch? aren’t 3 exclusives good enough? we are talking about killzone, a big franchise, drive club, from the guys that made motorstorm, and knack, from mark cerny the legend who made crash and worked on some of the best games, and a team that consists of people who worked on shadow of the colossus! Sony have already released games this year like gow, last of us, beyond, and gt6 coming up, so i think you can forgive them for being to busy to get more AAA games for ps4 launch. They are playing it smart. The launch line up has something to cater for everybody. Sony by far has the best lineup of games by end of this year.

#39 10 months ago
  40. OmegaSlayer

Speaking with PC gamers is like speaking with Talibans.

#40 10 months ago
  41. Panthro

And speaking with a console fanboy is like speaking to someone with disabilities.

#41 10 months ago
  42. super3001

I will have fun with game creator. already it has lots game types made like platformer brawler rogue squadron clone jrpg wrpg etc all free to play.

more diverse will come from spark in one month than from hole of ps3.5 lifetime lol

rest of xone launch wipes floor with ps3.5 anyway.

#42 10 months ago
  43. Legendaryboss

PS4 VS Xbox One? This gon be good gif.

#43 10 months ago
  44. Panthro

Look, why are you attacking me and trying to use the ‘ps3.5′ to do it… I couldnt give a fuck about SONY, they could delay the PS4, cease manufacturing it and then cancel the damn console and I wouldnt drop a tear.

Point is, im talking about project spark, its coming to my system to… So im not coming at it from a point of ‘i hate this because I wont be able to play it’ like most of the morons on this site, its my opinion… Touting project spark as the best thing to happen to MS since sony announced the price of the PS3 is just stupid. And its not even free, so please stop saying it is. The basic game is free yes, but you have to buy content packs to use with it and to get full enjoyment your going to have to pay up sooner or later.

#44 10 months ago
  45. Legendaryboss

Super is an Xbox troll, do not feed.

#45 10 months ago
  46. Zensi

Games are better on xbox … end of… now stop fighting children

#46 10 months ago
  47. monkeygourmet

The PS4 launch has nothing that makes me want to spin around 3 times and shit into my shoes.

It def hasn’t got the killer title for me yet, I think Infamous should have made launch and Killzone come out after COD vs. BF4 had died down… That was a mistake IMO.

I don’t think the Xbone has one killer game but many come close. The quadruple threat of Ryse, Forza, Killer Instinct & Dead Rising 3 easily smash the PS4′s line up into the ground. The PS4 loses out more for not having Watchdogs, whereas the Xbone can shrug it off easier.

Titanfall will kill Sony next year.

#47 10 months ago
  48. Panthro

I remember the times when parents wouldnt allow their kids to use the internet, I miss that :,(

#48 10 months ago
  49. pukem0n

although i am an Xbox fanboy, i honestly like the PS4 launch line up and exclusives better.

f*ck me, right?

#49 10 months ago
  50. DrDamn

@pukem0n
    You bastard! :)

#50 10 months ago
  51. VibraniumSpork

@47 http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/silence-ho.gif :D

#51 10 months ago
  52. Panthro

Never though i’de see the day one of you would like something the opposing company did ;)

#52 10 months ago
  53. Rockin a Jack D

Absolutely zero reason to own these consoles if you have a gaming PC.

These consoles are basically shite PC’s in £350/400 boxes.

#53 10 months ago
  54. yeoung

Since I’ll be buying the PS4 no sooner than 2014, I can live with this admittedly lackluster launch line-up. I’m really excited about a lot of PS4 games, but they’ll be dropping some time in the next year at the earliest.

I’m thinking Diablo 3, Infamous: SS, Ryme, FFXV and Yakuza; Ishin. Mostly though, I’d really like Just Cause 3, but most of all…

The Last Guardian.

#54 10 months ago
  55. Khan979

I’m admittedly a bit more of a PS fan then xbox (current gen), and just from an exclusives/quality/PS+ perspective (online is definately better on x-box)….but I am buying them both on day one.

Let’s face it they will BOTH have kick ass exclusives over the next few years, so arguing about who’s got better exclusives now is stupid. Besides, if you like games and want to play all the “best games” this upcoming generation you really will need both systems.

I’m with @24, just bring those shiney new boxes on….just a few more weeks to go..

#55 10 months ago
  56. lexph3re

I’ll be honest. Neither one of the new consoles have a stellar launch line-up. None of the games look like “OMG THAT”S AMAZING!”. In fact, When you really look at it the games that are out are a “play at caution titles”.

Killzone SF: Although I like KZ it hasn’t ever had that “This is a definitive FPS following behind it. So SF is a high risk game to begin with, trying to convince a multitude not only to buy this console but believe KZ is equal to or better then BF4/CoD:G.

Dead Rising 3: Dead Rising has never been a killer title. In fact, it has always be an Okay but mediocre game much like KZ has been consider. It is only getting hyped up lately because it’s an exclusive to Xbone right now. And, can be a unbelievable experience or a train wreck.

Knack:Well it’s losing face from the beginning. Why? Because it’s targeted at everyone without being a popular Mascot. Nobody knows knack, and nobody will probably even get attached to him. If the game sinks it will be just like Heavenly Sword. A niche game to a small audience wishing they would make a sequel.(I’m in that audience)

Killer Instinct:This is probably the biggest nostalgia grab out of the bunch. The game is half done, episodic, and using fans love for a franchise to try out a new model. Again, this could be as sink or swim as the rest.

Everything that really has people buying the next gen is either loyalty or future releases. Because, nothing launching with these consoles is really holding high expectations.

#56 10 months ago
  57. pcbros

“We kick off a close look at both consoles’ software line-up with Sony’s multitude of exclusives.” (Article)

The majority of those games are not exclusives…

Where is Legendaryboss and Joe Minutiea to correct this big mistake?

#57 10 months ago
  58. Legendaryboss

But seeing as you want me to comment, yes the article includes games that aren’t exclusive to PS4. But that quote isn’t wrong, doesn’t Killzone, Knack and Driveclub all count as Sony’s exclusives. Key word is the S in multitudes, so technically not wrong.

Seeing as the title says PS4 VS Xbox One, this article most likely refers to games not on Xbox One ATM.

#58 10 months ago
  59. pcbros

@58 – It was meant as a joke.

By the way, the article says a “multitude of exclusives”.

Multitude = Large amount. Pretty sure 4 true exclusives out of a list of 22 games is not a “multitude” :P

My money is on the fact that the author meant those games are coming to the PS4 and not the XB1.

#59 10 months ago
  60. Legendaryboss

Your the only one who cares.

#60 10 months ago
  61. Dragon

@59,
    Well, all of above mentioned games arent coming on X1, so they are “exclusives” in one way or the other.

Edit- said it before you edited :P

#61 10 months ago
  62. pcbros

@60 – “Again why correct a mistake that Erthazus and most likely others have already picked up on.” (#58)

So am I the only one or did others take notice as well?

#62 10 months ago
  63. Gekidami

The PS4′s launch lineup isnt great. The XB1′s is better, not vastly better but theres some stuff the PS4 is really missing, i really want to play DR3, disappointed i wont. But the thing is i’m satisfied with whats on PS4 between its exclusive and third party games and i’m not going to get the XB1 over PS4 just because of whats available on launch, i’d rather go on precedence and last gen (or this still current gen) the 360′s exclusive lineup sucked, it sucked massive hairy balls, theres this pic comparing the games released in the last two or three years (showing Kinect & Move games, if someone has it, please post it, i dont)and it just shows how bad MS are at keeping a constant stream of exclusives. Sony on the other hand just kept dishing out the games, many of which were massive award winning hits.

Also i’m pretty sure games like DR3 & TitanFall will come to PS4 later on, its the obvious result of MS just paying for timed exclusive rights rather than making games themselves.

#63 10 months ago
  64. pcbros

@61 – I agree with that way of thinking. But some people don’t see it that way.

#64 10 months ago
  65. Legendaryboss

Read it through, i’m not repeating myself. Do i really need to look back a page and start quoting?

#65 10 months ago
  66. Legendaryboss

Says the person who brought up this issue in the article.

#66 10 months ago
  67. Dragon

@64,
    “But some people don’t see it that way.”
    Doesn’t really matter now does it? They are “exclusives”, that remains a fact. And I am sure the author intended it to be taken that way only, because that is true, despite what anyone says.

#67 10 months ago
  68. Legendaryboss

Next gen exclusive? Fine
    Console exclusive? Where it fits
    Exclusive? Big no no
    In this scenario of two platforms? Okay.
    Consoles exclusive? where it fits.

Exclusive in some way? Okay.

#68 10 months ago
  69. Gekidami

They arent exclusive though. They just arent on XB1. You can still play them on another system. It doesnt change the fact that they’re a benefit to the console, i’ll be picking some of them up on PS4 even if i could on PC, if if i can right now but they arent exclusive. Same goes for Titanfall; not exclusive.

#69 10 months ago
  70. pcbros

@66 – Like you did when I mentioned Titanfall was an exclusive?

@67 – I only brought it up because when I mentioned Titanfall among a list of other XB1 exclusives, Legendaryboss and Joe decided to make a big deal about it.

@68 – “In this scenario of two platforms? Okay.”

When I was talking about PS4 vs XB1 and mentioned Titanfall as an exclusive you made a big point correcting that statment.

Now all of a sudden it’s ok? Wow…

#70 10 months ago
  71. monkeygourmet

Some of these titles are exclusives in the same way Titanfall is.

It looks like PS4 has 3 exclusives:

Knack
    Drive Club
    Killzone

The rest aren’t

#71 10 months ago
  72. DrDamn

And Resogun.

#72 10 months ago
  73. Dragon

@70,
    You should have told that its an “exclusive” not exclusive. Quotation marks make a big difference :)

However, it depends on context imo. In an strictly X1 vs. PS4 debate (or should I say fanwars :P ), I don’t think that bringing games like titanfall as an “exclusive” is wrong, because they “are” in comparison to PS4. However in general discussion outside that specific case, using the word “exclusive” is bound to give the wrong impression to the general folks, which I am sure many will agree with.

That is how I see it. Feel free to disagree though.

#73 10 months ago
  74. pcbros

@73 – I agree.

With that said, I still don’t see any exclusives or “exclusives” that I must have on either platform.

#74 10 months ago
  75. monkeygourmet

Isn’t that on Vita too?

#75 10 months ago
  76. Legendaryboss

Oh boy, yes and not the only one right? Perfect flaw in that logic.

No you said Titanfall was an Xbox One exclusive, corrected, then you said the Xbox One version gets benefits neglecting other versions. At no point did you say in terms of PS4 and Xbox One, its next gen exclusive to Xbox One, you may have after being pressured. So no its not all of a sudden, your wording wasn’t like that.Like i stated before Erthazus and others pointed out the not exclusive already and i already reaffirmed it.

Good grief, so please give it rest.

#76 10 months ago
  77. Legendaryboss

No. Remote play? Yes.

#77 10 months ago
  78. bradk825

@70 I know I got the joke. Pretty sure no one else did though.

Yeah, I read those threads. Every time someone mentions Titanfall in the context of PS4 vs XB1 somebody, or many somebodies, jump all over it and scream that it’s not an exclusive, begging the masses to stop calling it that, lol.

Anyway, there are some good games on this list, but nothing that would pry me away from Forza or the future non-exclusive but non-PS4 Titanfall.

#78 10 months ago
  79. Dragon

@74,
    “The Wii U is actually starting to grab my attention. The last batch of exclusive games have been really good. And they still have more on the way. Just want better pricing.”
    Good for you I guess. You already liked Ninty output, so it should be right up your alley.
    However mind you, its a dying console. You should go in expecting nothing from 3rd parties and only if 1st party is enough to justify your purchase. But I guess you know that :P

Its rather hilarious how Wii U is being treated as a step child to 3ds, more so than Vita imo.

#79 10 months ago
  80. Legendaryboss

#80 10 months ago
  81. Joe Musashi

I’m encouraged by seeing people caring about the details. That’s where the devil is, after all.

JM

#81 10 months ago
  82. Erthazus

For me PS4 would have won if they could include inFamous:SS in the launch lineup. But they decided not to do it.

I think for two reasons:

1) Next year it will do much better
    2) Sucker Punch can work their ass to fix bugs and enchance the experience of a game overall.

I hope that Sucker Punch really worked hard on the game.

#82 10 months ago
  83. pcbros

@76, 80 – Just for the record: This is what I actually said (Link)…

#69 – “Yet at the end of the day, whether Sony or Microsoft roll on top… It has no effect on us. Will you like inFamous any less because the Xbox One is outselling the PS4? Will you like Titanfall any less because the PS4 is outselling the Xbox One?”

#78 – “Microsoft made an all-in-one entertainment system (hence Xbox One). So they will be attracting non-gamers as well. Yet, they are providing gaming performance that has been shown *so far* to be on par with the PS4. Also, don’t forget exclusives like Halo, Titanfall and Forza.”

The WHOLE article was a debate between the XB1 vs PS4.

#83 10 months ago
  84. Legendaryboss

^Hm? Speaks about Titanfall error changes subject then changes it to something completely irrelevant to my post.

I’ll say it again “never was the context of people saying Titanfall is an exclusive was done in relevance to PS4/Xbox One but asserting it in general”.

“lots of continuous misreading going on in this one.”

Still happening, leaving i fail to see why i should repeat and clarify whats already been stated in such simple terms.

#84 10 months ago
  85. pcbros

@82 – I wish Sucker Punch released their games on the PC :) I’d love to have the whole inFamous trilogy on Steam.

Each console has a handful of games that attact me to them. XB1: Halo, Killer Instinct and Forza 5. PS4: Gran Turismo, inFamous and Uncharted.

#85 10 months ago
  86. DrDamn

No. Wouldn’t run on PSV. For a small title it’s actually technically very impressive.

#86 10 months ago
  87. Erthazus

Driveclub – delayed. (rumor)

PS4 launch line up is above abyssmal

#87 10 months ago
  88. monkeygourmet

That gif crashed my ipad! :)

Looks nice though!

#88 10 months ago
  89. monkeygourmet

Lol, I was just talking about that in another thread!

#89 10 months ago
  90. Dark

@87 wow they own more than 10 studios yet they always end up with shitty
    launch line up.

#90 10 months ago
  91. DrDamn

Given who has confirmed the rumour on GAF I’d say likely true. They must be scrabbling around for a PS+ replacement before announcing, I’d happily take Knack and let Evolution have the time to polish.

#91 10 months ago
  92. pcbros

@84 – “never was the context of people saying Titanfall is an exclusive was done in relevance to PS4/Xbox One but asserting it in general”

The article was about XB1 vs PS4. Everyone’s comments were based on XB1 vs PS4. My comments were about the XB1 vs PS4. Yet, you conclude that when I included Titalfall in my list of XB1 exclusive games, I wasn’t saying it in the context of PS4 vs Xbox.

I definitely can’t argue with that logic.

#92 10 months ago
  93. Legendaryboss

^One last time: This and many other examples are what i’m referring to: http://www.vg247.com/2013/10/01/xbox-one-gigaflops-and-teraflops-dont-matter-games-do-harrison/#comment-544491

“Never was it in the context on PS4 VS Xbox One, lots of continuous misreading going on in those threads.”

#93 10 months ago
  94. CathyKarr09

Follow simple steps and earn up too 200$. Just like a part time job.. Exit35com

#94 10 months ago
  95. pcbros

@93, “Yet, you conclude that when I included Titalfall in my list of XB1 exclusive games (Problem), I wasn’t saying it in the context of PS4 vs Xbox (You weren’t until pressured).”

You assume too much.

So I will just pretend I never knew Titanfall was coming to the PC and Xbox 360 until that moment. Just so you can prove your point.

#95 10 months ago
  96. Legendaryboss

^Hey next time don’t mention my name/topic if you don’t want a response (57) “Just so you can prove your point.” What exactly is my point?

#96 10 months ago
  97. Hcw87

Lets just settle it.

Titanfall is a MS exclusive.

#97 10 months ago
  98. Legendaryboss

I never refuted that.

#98 10 months ago
  99. pcbros

@96 – Aren’t you assuming I didn’t know Titanfall was coming to the PC and Xbox 360?

You did say I meant it as an exclusive title and not just an exclusive referring to PS4/XB1.

#99 10 months ago
  100. Joe Musashi

“MS Exclusive” != “Exclusive”

JM

#100 10 months ago
  101. Hcw87

And your random ass comment means what exactly?

#101 10 months ago
  102. Legendaryboss

Assuming? No but when you say “XB1 exclusive” neglecting the other versions, i’m sorry exclusive means one platform: again i am not wrong. Now if you said what 97 said i wouldn’t need to say anything.

“You did say I meant it as an exclusive title and not just exclusive referring to PS4/XB1.” ???????????????????????????

“No you said Titanfall was an Xbox One exclusive, corrected, then you said the Xbox One version gets benefits neglecting other versions. At no point did you say in terms of PS4 and Xbox One, its next gen exclusive to Xbox One, you may have after being pressured. So no its not all of a sudden, your wording wasn’t like that.” Thats what i said.

#102 10 months ago
  103. Legendaryboss

#103 10 months ago
  104. Joe Musashi

Bless. Simple logic really upsets some people doesn’t it?

JM

#104 10 months ago
  105. pcbros

@102 – If we were talking about PS4 vs XB1 in that article (which is pretty clear), why do I need to bring up the fact it’s coming out on other platforms? It’s obvious I meant it as an exclusive in the sense that it’s coming to XB1 and not the PS4.

But if you want to think otherwise, go ahead.

@103 –

“Next gen exclusive? Fine
    Console exclusive? Where it fits
    Exclusive? Big no no
    In this scenario of two platforms? Okay.
    Consoles exclusive? where it fits.

Exclusive in some way? Okay.” (#68)

Good to see we have a clear understanding of the word exclusive.

#105 10 months ago
  106. Legendaryboss

@PCbros
    “I only brought it up because when I mentioned Titanfall among a list of other XB1 exclusives, Legendaryboss and Joe decided to make a big deal about it.”

“Now all of a sudden it’s ok? Wow…”

“Where is Legendaryboss and Joe Minutiea to correct this big mistake?”

Transitioning

“The WHOLE article was a debate between the XB1 vs PS4.”
    I’m sorry this off-topic discussion was started by you and you only out of pettiness, theres no changing the subject and transitioning when it suits you.

“But if you want to think otherwise, go ahead.”
    “Console exclusivity refers to the status of a video game being released on only one video game console.”
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Console_exclusivity If thinking otherwise is the above definition call me grounded in reality.

“Good to see we have a clear understanding of the word exclusive.”
    No you don’t “I have no choice now but to appease people going out of range to label a game exclusive, so @68 was created.”

#106 10 months ago
  107. pcbros

@106 – Just answer me one question…

Do you feel it’s ok to call Titanfall an XB1 exclusive in the context of PS4/XB1?

#107 10 months ago
  108. Legendaryboss

Nope, They are both different things completely unrelated to each things.

Titanfall is not exclusive.
    DC Universe Online is not exclusive.
    Project Spark is not exclusive.
    The common theme is 3 platforms, two consoles/PC.
    Injustice: Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition is not exclusive.

#108 10 months ago
  109. pcbros

@108 – So why did you say, “Never was it in the context on PS4 VS Xbox One, lots of continuous misreading going on in those threads and this one.”

You make it seem that if it was in context of PS4 vs XB1 it would have been ok.

That’s where I think you confused me. I might have read it wrong but that’s what I got out of it.

#109 10 months ago
  110. Legendaryboss

That was initially a response to someone else and it wasn’t in that context.

#110 10 months ago
  111. pcbros

@110 – Then I misread it…

#111 10 months ago
  112. polygem

i really don’t understand why people don’t just keep their ps360 and pick up a wiiu/3ds as well instead of x1ps4. or buy a pc and a wiiu/3ds. to me this looks like the best value and diversity. i wish i could see why those new consoles feel sexy to people but i just can’t. still having both on preorder and ordered both very early. i would get my consoles at launch day if i’d keep my preorder. this would usually make me crazy excited but with this next gen that’s just not the case. boring launch line up, same same teenager try hard cool games. they can keep them. still on the fence if i should be keeping ps4 though. i mean there will be a few games i’ll be interested in at some point. no?
    tbh i wish gamers wouldn’t just blindly buy into marketing crap. ps4 has lame titles (imo), x1 is just a mess and it still feels like pandoras box. vita was a marketinghyped disappointment too. i mean i like the thing for indies now but it’s such a boring piece of hardware. don’t feel any excitement about it. gaming is, should be, at least in my book, about emotions too, about excitement, about discovering and adventure, about promises and delivery. these new consoles just don’t do a good job yet. even sony for the most part only disappointed me with their franchises this gen. everything was ironed out for the mainstream. everything. xbox had the great halo and then ruined it with 4. we’ve had some amazing third party games but many of them have been on pc as well. why should i buy a new console again? because of grafx? because i can use my real name for online? forza x? killzone? nahh, come on.

#112 10 months ago
  113. Juice_Man101

Most people don’t care about diversity. The majority of people who buy consoles buy them to play games that are fun for them whether its COD, Kingdom Hearts, Mario, or anything in between. They don’t care if a game looks different if it doesn’t appeal to them. Look at the wonderful 101 you really enjoyed that game and wanted people to try it but obviously most people don’t care about it because it doesn’t appeal to them in the same way that you’re not excited about next-gen but a lot of people are or these consoles wouldn’t be sold out everywhere.

#113 10 months ago
  114. Legendaryboss

@Polygem
    Salesman look at @113.

#114 10 months ago
  115. ps4ever

the best line up so far this gen.

#115 10 months ago