PS4 launch title DriveClub delayed into spring 2014 – rumor

Wednesday, 16th October 2013 21:34 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Rumors swirling around the net state that DriveClub, one of PlayStation 4′s launch titles has been delayed into 2014.

We’ve sent a mail to Sony on this, but meanwhile, Kotaku has been told by a person familiar with the “goings on at Sony” state it is indeed true.

The rumor first started this today when The Same Coin stated it had heard from an anonymous source that the game had been delayed into spring 2014.

Sony is hosting an event in San Francisco today which includes some of its PS4 launch titles. Originally, DriveClub was part of the lineup, but it was removed due to a scheduling conflict, a Sony representative told Kotaku.

Furthermore, a NeoGAF member has also heard DriveClub was delayed, noting that they trust the source, but since this person is “not working on the game,” they “could be wrong [but] I trust that it isn’t wrong.”

Again, we have contacted Sony ourselves on the matter, and if they get back with us we will let you know; however, when asked by Kotaku, the site was told Sony doesn’t comment on rumor or speculation.

The rumor comes on the heels of Ubisoft moving its racer, The Crew into spring 2014, meaning the only racing title to launch with the new systems between now and speing – that we can think of off the tops of our heads – would be Forza 5 on Xbox One.

1. KineticCalvaria

Oh shit, ps4 line up is getting worse lol.

#1 9 months ago
  2. CPC_RedDawn

Why do people seem to forget about all the Free 2 Play games on launch and in the launch window? Also why do people forget about all the indie games coming at launch as well?

Its not all about triple A titles you know. You need something to look forward too.

I am not even going to bother getting any of the new systems til I have upgraded my PC near to Xmas as I mainly play on PC. But I shall pick up a PS4 once I see some Uncharted 4 footage!

#2 9 months ago
  3. monkeygourmet

Not great after the Watchdog news yesterday. The PS4 seems more rushed than they let on.

It was a strong first showing what with MS’s problems but it looks like they are finding it hard to pull everything together. That’s providing this rumour is true, obviously.

#3 9 months ago
  4. CyberMarco

lol, nice one Sony! :P

Everybody else, I’ll agree with CPC_RedDawn and beside that, this isn’t a sprint, but rather a marathon. So what if console 1 has 15 games on launch day and console 2 has 10, are those the only games coming for the rest of the generation?

As I’ve said it before, you’d be a fool to buy anything day-1, not only consoles.

*Mandatory: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIJmGj4g-s

#4 9 months ago
  5. KineticCalvaria

@2, hate to say it but Erth has a point with what he was saying on another article in the sense that I can play those f2p games on pc and indies aren’t a system seller for me personally.

I’m still buying a ps4 at launch but if this is true its really not a good start, although I’m sure many great games are coming!

#5 9 months ago
  6. tezzer1985

@3 what crap are you talking, because DriveClub could be delayed, it means PS4 was rushed, and they are finding it hard to put everything together. Your statement is comical

#6 9 months ago
  7. pcbros

The Crew, Watchdogs and now DriveClub…

#7 9 months ago
  8. monkeygourmet

Of course, but being that the PS4 is ‘super easy to program for’ and ’40% more powerful’, they would be squandering that a bit by not revealing games that show this or delaying titles that can compete directly with Xbone games:

Forza vs. Driveclub for example.

Also, Joe public doesn’t usually fork out the best part of £400 for indie stuff.

#8 9 months ago
  9. xFidelCashflow

Rather it be late than be shit.

@3 how does having one first party & one third party game delayed make the entire console rushed?

#9 9 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

Not as comical as if you ordered a PS4 with Watchdogs and Driveclub.

#10 9 months ago
  11. xFidelCashflow

@7 The Crew wasn’t coming at launch to begin with

#11 9 months ago
  12. merrc

Personally, I just want bf4 on PS4 at launch. That and GTA should sustain me until something better comes out

#12 9 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

I doubt most people will look much further than CoD and FIFA, anyway…

#13 9 months ago
  14. CyberMarco

@8 That “super easy to program for” is just another bullshit, like teh Cell and da powa of teh Cloud.

All I have to say is that they are incompetent greedy mother***** that want the cash as fast as possible. That’s the price to pay when a medium becomes more and more mainstream and capitalism tries to devour every bit of it.

#14 9 months ago
  15. pcbros

Indies are great, I usually prefer them over AAA titles, but they don’t sell systems. How many people bought a PS3/360 for arcade/indie games?

I personally believe that PC gamers appreciate indie games more and the “general” console owner is looking for the AAA titles that show off their new hardware.

And if the rumor is true, then Forza 5 faces zero competition this holiday season.

This is why GT6 should have come out for the PS4.

@10 – Didn’t think of that. Any word how Sony is going to handle those pre-orders?

#15 9 months ago
  16. jomac3db

Wth is going on Sony? Next thing u know the sauté will be delayed.

#16 9 months ago
  17. monkeygourmet

Yep, exclusives are pretty important. Especially as a lot of these multiplatforms are available on PS3 / 360.

I have a feeling that if this is delayed, people will stop caring about it after launch. It seemed like a pretty average concept anyway and will almost certainly be drowned by other titles.

It’s trump card was that it was a launch exclusive IMO. They should have made a new Motorstorm.

#17 9 months ago
  18. DrDamn

As mentioned in the other thread the confirmation from the GAF poster more or less seals it. He’s well connected Sony wise.

Looks bad but its ambition more than development ease which probably scuppered it. Not good but let’s see what they sweeten the PS+ deal with instead. I’d happily take Knack and wait on DC being give more time but I would guess I’m in the minority there. :)

#18 9 months ago
  19. monkeygourmet

That’s what I’m interested in: what would the plus offer be?

Knack would be good but I just can’t imagine that? Maybe another a Indie game? I bet they wish they had-not announced Flower et all for free earlier! ;)

I’d be pissed if I had ordered a PS4 Driveclub and Watch dogs… O_o

#19 9 months ago
  20. jomac3db

Wth is going on Sony?

#20 9 months ago
  21. DrDamn

Because Polyphony are so good at hitting deadlines? ;)

I think there is a market for a DC type game. Currently you have sims and balls out arcade racers and nothing in between (at least on PS – Forza Horizon hit that spot well). The more explosive arcade racer is already covered by NfS and The Crew.

#21 9 months ago
  22. monkeygourmet

“Because Polyphony are so good at hitting deadlines? ”

Haha! :D

#22 9 months ago
  23. DrDamn

They can’t do KZ unless maybe split off the SP or MP element of it. Nah it would mess with their big pack in for bundles. Knack is kind of the only choice isn’t it … Without going third party. Minecraft would be am interesting one, maybe just go balls out and do something big like NfS or FIFA?

#23 9 months ago
  24. monkeygourmet

Maybe They can steal some of MS’s download codes for FIFA! :)

#24 9 months ago
  25. pcbros

@21 – I would rather hear GT6 for PS4 is being delayed into spring, than DriveClub :P

#25 9 months ago
  26. jomac3db

Still getting the ps4 at launch. One reason is killzone 4 and ac4

#26 9 months ago
  27. pcbros

@26 – Isn’t AC4 coming to XB1 as well?

#27 9 months ago
  28. lexph3re

Meh, not really sure why the big fuss anyways. 90% of people have been raggin on driveclub anyways. Now they are ragging on them pushing it back? At least with a push back they can potentially guarantee quality.

@4 I don’t think I would ever call an early adopter dumb for buying a console. If they didn’t and everyone invoked the wait a while logic the consoles would flop. Someone has to take the dive and actually you know… Experience the devices.

#28 9 months ago
  29. monkeygourmet

Slightly on topic: my bet is on a Planetside 2 missing launch next. It’s been too quiet on that front, has it even been seen running on PS4 hardware?

#29 9 months ago
  30. friedriceroni

Sorry Steph to correct you but as a Playstation fan who doesn’t care about Forza anyway, lets not forget that currently Need for Speed Rivals is still being touted as a release game, and will give Forza more than a run for it’s money. As for the PS4 release it still has 9 other top titles plus indies and free to play games due at its’ inception so it will still kick the proverbial ass on the 29th Nov, so bring it on. As for the skeptics, I don’t think that Sony are to blame when they have created a system that has most developers under estimating its power and are just starting to realise it’s potential, also Ubisoft want to give AC IV a bit more of the market and realize that it should have been a Bundled Release in the first place.

#30 9 months ago
  31. jeffb01

I remember everyone was thinking an october launch for the ps3 – I think the console itself could of launched in october but the games wouldn’t be ready.

#31 9 months ago
  32. derpachu

Couldn’t compete with forza anyways. Should’ve fucking brought Gran turismo instead.

#32 9 months ago
  33. derpachu

@30 lol Need for speed? Try again.
    There’s a reason it’s never talked about.
    Especially within forza&GT fans…..

#33 9 months ago
  34. fearmonkey

I can’t imagine everyone was clamoring for Driveclub, it’s definitely great for driving fans, but lets face it, most driving fans would want Forza if thats what they really cared about.

Watchdogs was way more important, and that affected both consoles.

The big sellers are going to be third party games on both consoles, the exclusive titles wont sell the same numbers. Ryse might be a great game but it isnt going to really sell systems, same with Knack. Killzone has a following but as I am not a PS3 owner, I have no idea how big of one.

If MS had a halo out with the Xbox One, MS would be selling a ton of them. I swear I don’t get why MS didnt have 343 industries port over the Halo 4 multiplayer and make it shiner and make it FTP, or a $10 digital DL or $20 disk. If it included some special thing for when Halo next comes out, then that would have been big.

#34 9 months ago
  35. Arcnail

No matter what side of the fence you sit, the original line up both these consoles were bringing for launch, were pretty sad (thus why I’m waiting). Now with all the recent delays, this might be one of the weakest in history, again for both sides.

#35 9 months ago
  36. Juice_Man101

It’s the fanboys that are hyping up the launch exclusives even though both lineups are average as fuck.

#36 9 months ago
  37. Hcw87

”Need for Speed Rivals is still being touted as a release game, and will give Forza more than a run for it’s money.”

Joke of the day right here.

#37 9 months ago
  38. SplatteredHouse

@36 Best of the lot is probably Titanfall, and no matter which platform you choose, it won’t appear until well after launch. @37 Need for Speed what-now?
    Definitely feeling the lack of any new Ridge Racer, but Evo didn’t put a foot wrong on PS3, and they’ve shown quality to-date from demos of Driveclub (even having been playable by public) so, if they say it’ll be better after a few months longer in the oven – I’m inclined to believe them.

#38 9 months ago
  39. Javinator

Another title bites the dust for the PS4.
    PS4 line up looking very slim.

Xbox One still has Forza 5, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Ryse.

Hey Sony fanboys, don’t feel so bad. At least you still have your 80′s 8-bit graphic indie games lol

#39 9 months ago
  40. Phoenixblight

Good thing I don’t care about any of those titles. Thats why I didn’t order a Xbox One. I am in it for the long run not for the dude bro titles at launch.

#40 9 months ago
  41. Doppleganger

Dude bud titles! LOL. Sony fan boys are so ignorant and stubborn.
    I agree though, its fine that you think you’re buying a Ferrari but enjoy watching it sit in the garage.
    Main reason I don’t want a ps4 is cause the AWFUL game titles.

#41 9 months ago
  42. Kuwabara

@ 39,40, kz is much better than any of those titles. killer instinct is downloadable with few characters, while dead rising is obviously timed exclusive. But you xbox guys never learn from history. so really it’s only forza and ryse. But you seem to be forgetting knack, which is made by the guy that is responsible for much better games than what is at xbone launch. Oh yeah, and ill be playing gt6 by the time ps4 launches,afte ri play through beyond, because while sony still backs the ps3 and releases exclusives to the very end, xbox 360 is long dead. LOL

#42 9 months ago
  43. derpachu

@42 lmao. Killzone has always been mediocre, and was supposed to be the “halo killer” and never was. Kz never delivered.

Yeah Notice the first Dead Rising was never on anything else besides Xbox and pc. Which was published by Microsoft. Don’t even say the “well it was on the Wii”. That’s a whole new dead rising with completely different story hence the name “dead rising chop till you drop”

Capcom confirmed Dead rising 3 exclusivity, just like Deep down for Ps4.
    Dead rising was on other platforms because it wasn’t published by MS.
    Notice Dead rising 1 wasn’t, other than Xbox and pc.
    Also published and funded by MS, and you think it’s a timed exclusive? Good day sir.

#43 9 months ago
  44. Juice_Man101

Ninja Gaiden 2

#44 9 months ago
  45. derpachu

@44 Ninja Gaiden 1 – XBOX
    Ninja Gaiden: Black – XBOX
    Ninja Gaiden: Sigma – PS3
    Ninja Gaiden 2 – XBOX 360
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 – PS3
    Microsoft/Tecmo published Ninja garden 1,black, and 2.
    Tecmo published NG sigma and NG sigma 2, not microsoft….

#45 9 months ago
  46. derpachu

I meant dead rising 2 on comment #43 line 7

#46 9 months ago
  47. Juice_Man101

That’s just an example of a game that was originally published by Microsoft that ended up on other platforms. There’s nothing stopping Capcom from bringing DR3 to ps4 if they wanted.

#47 9 months ago
  48. monkeygourmet

Classic Sony fanboy.

“MS launch games suck! Anyway… They are timed exclusives so I’ll play them when they come out on PS4…”

Wha… What? I thought they suck?! O_o

#48 9 months ago
  49. derpachu

@47 wasn’t published by Microsoft though.

#49 9 months ago
  50. Legendaryboss

What the fuck did i just read?

#50 9 months ago
  51. Kuwabara

@49. tell me how mass effect ended up on ps3? wasn’t that title first published by microsoft?

#51 9 months ago
  52. Panthro

@43 Chop till you drop is still the same game, its just a severely cut down port.

@51 I thought it was published by EA

EDIT – Nevermind, I played it on the PC, the PC version was published by EA ;) Xbox version was by Microsoft.

#52 9 months ago
  53. Juice_Man101

That’s the point. It doesn’t matter if Microsoft publishes a game. If they don’t own the ip they can’t do shit to stop it from going to other platforms

#53 9 months ago
  54. Panthro

Well if DR3 has the potential to eventually come to PC it means Im pretty much not looking forward to the X1 at all since I would just wait for the PC version…

I was looking forward to titanfall, for the X1 but then I found some info on it coming to PC to, So im not really that bothered for the X1 now… SOR looks alright but its not really enough for me to buy an entire system to play, I’ll wait a year and choose a console for the software they both have and the support developers are showing.

#54 9 months ago