Xbox One multiplayer improvements discussed in new trailer, watch here

Tuesday, 15th October 2013 10:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One will deliver a ‘ton’ of multiplayer improvements according to Microsoft. Community reps Graeme Boyd and Larry Hyrb have spoken with five members of the Xbox team to find out more about what’s changed.

One of the new features mentioned is the new SmartMatch match-making tech, along with the Xbox One’s enhanced rep system and more. The clip also explains how you can improve your rep and how it impacts on match-making.

It follows Microsoft’s Xbox One friends list tutorial video from yesterday. Watch it here.

What do you think of the multiplayer features above? Let us know in the comments.

Via OXM.

1. fengato

This reputation based smart match stuff is utter crap. Connection quality should be the only factor that decides who’s connected. Easy enough to mute and block assholes. Rep systems are always abused – ridiculous to think this will do anything but hinder best possible connections.

#1 10 months ago
  2. rbevanx

This is brilliant and what multiplayer needs considering how much bigger it is now compared to when Live first started.
    Unlike before this can work out who it’s best for you to play with, so you can go up against someone more your level, rather than having to deal people who are too easy or play on it way more than you.
    The rep system is far more detailed allowing for the worse behavied etc to be put together, rather than ruin it for others.
    Blocking was just not enough as you would come accross someone who was just out to be abusive/pain etc even though they would already have a bad rep, this new method sorts that out.

This changes things if the video is exactly how it’s gonna work!

#2 10 months ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

All I’m thinking is if I’m in a match of say BF4 and I’m playing against a bunch of guys on the opposing team who I completely own and thus decide to bad rep me because they’re idiots, I then end up with a bad reputation just for being good?

I mean I’ve got bad rep on 360 for ‘trash talking’, bearing in mind I have never used my microphone in a public game since owning a 360… utterly mental idea.

#3 10 months ago
  4. fengato

^ Same exact thing has happened to me. I only use the mic with friends, and I have negs for trash talk and aggression. Utter nonsense.

#4 10 months ago
  5. DrDamn

A lot of that sounds great and an extension of the stuff that helped the 360 gain online traction – which is good. I echo the concerns people have over reputation though, it will be difficult to stop this from being open to abuse. If they can’t avoid that then one well connected enemy made can see you playing with the real idiots for the rest of your online career. It’s a nice aim, but a little too ambitious for the real world.

Oh and finishing on “help games provide a great way to keep their players super engaged”? Eck.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Bloobat

What was he on about ‘spinning up servers to an exact mode and map’? Am i missing something or is that not just a fancy way of saying what is already done today? Other features sound good and I hope that Sony have caught up now as I don’t want to be on the inferior online system again!

#6 10 months ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

They already said that they’ve built the rep system with people trying to abuse it in mind.

They’ve said stuff like it will ignore dislikes/reports from a whole bunch of people all connected by friends lists, and one time surges in dislikes/reports, if you’re usually pretty clean.

You should only really need to worry if you’re getting continually reported/disliked by individual, unrelated gamers, consistently, over an extended period of time.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Panthro

I am so fucking tired of ‘major nelson’ even his name annoys me, such a cheesy bastard.

#8 10 months ago
  9. Legendaryboss

I had to:

:D

#9 10 months ago
  10. DrDamn

That’s good to hear. The 360 rep system was near useless.

#10 10 months ago
  11. Arcnail

If the system works and that means less trolls in the games and more mature people that just want to play vids, can’t see any issue with that.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Exsecratus

So, Sony, what have you got for us? Will you be mute forever?

#12 10 months ago
  13. gomersoul

I hope Sony don’t implement this nonsense. I can’t trust other gamers to rate me well, I mean look at the amount of unnecessary hate comments on this site! I got my selling limited on eBay for a similar rating farce. This is a good idea that people cannot be trusted to use properly

#13 10 months ago
  14. Hyperx64

Xbox One is slick, slick, slick!

#14 10 months ago
  15. Hyperx64

@ Panthro Looks like you and your butt-buddy are tired of everything – that much anger can’t be good for anyone!

#15 10 months ago