NBA 2K14 produces first next-gen screen

Tuesday, 15th October 2013 01:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

2K Sports has unveiled the first screenshot of NBA 2K14, showing off how the sim will look on PS4 and Xbox One.

2K pushed the screen out via social media channels; click to enlarge and see it in HD. It shows cover athlete LeBron James looking slightly further along the uncanny valley’s slopes than in the PC, PS3, Wii U and Xbox 360 version. NBA 2K14 released on current-gen systems earlier this month and hits the new consoles when they launch in November.

1. CPC_RedDawn

Impressive but still apart from some nice sub surface scattering on the skin it still looks pretty generic.

Textures look plain in places, the stuble looks glued on the pupils of the eyes are white for some reason, and his shirt around the shoulders is yet still blocky and unrealistic!

The ball and the bandage on his arm are the most impressive parts.

This still looks better to me and its running on a smartphone!

#1 11 months ago
  2. Panthro

Looks like they made the arm, ball and bandage in the fox engine… rest looks ok.

#2 11 months ago
  3. bojack

@1 I don’t see how this looks generic at all. For it to be generic means this has been done numerous times and it’s just old now. That link you have is just a tech demo and I highly doubt they could get that kind of detail onto hundreds of characters in a working game. This isn’t a face simulation game, it’s basketball.

#3 11 months ago
  4. xxJPRACERxx

@3 +1

#4 11 months ago
  5. jomac3db

Cpc nobody’s perfect and I’m pretty sure they put their all I’m this game. It looks amazing

#5 11 months ago
  6. ctankep

You’re comparing th’ front -side o’ a face to 11 players on court w/ physics simulation ., IK blending engine ., full streaming audio an’ surround mix done in real time. NBA 2K7 was th’ reason I bought an X360 because for th’ first time in a sports game you could have an emergent simulation o’ th’ game: based on real player movements & tied to their statistics ., on court tendencies rather than running an abstract _d version o’ th’ sport.

That said it’s been diminishing returns every year since. They’ve made improvements to th’ feel o’ player movement ., over compensated for easy layups by having th’ computer auto -bork them an’ screwed around with facile aspects o’ th’ game. Am hopeful but not sure what improvements PS4 might bring to th’ actual gameplay. Maybe being able to play in 3rd person from close -up camera without dropping frames.

#6 11 months ago
  7. Joe Musashi

Where are the wind simulation physics? A PC elitist who knows what gaming is all about told me that the PC version has wind simulation physics and runs at 120fps.

JM

#7 11 months ago
  8. Ekona

Speaking as someone who has never played this range of games, nor that cares much for tech demos, that looks absolutely incredible. Unless I was looking really closely, I’d be hard pushed to tell that from a photo.

#8 11 months ago
  9. Panthro

@7 …haha

#9 11 months ago
  10. Riseer

@7 LOL..

#10 11 months ago
  11. Riseer

Well I played the current gen version of NBA 2K13.This looks miles better,at least it looks more realistic now.I wonder if it is running on a new engine or is it a upgraded version of the current gen game.

#11 11 months ago