Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 gets 8-minute ‘Wildlands’ gameplay trailer

Monday, 14th October 2013 16:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 developer Square Enix has published an eight minute gameplay trailer showing off the JRPG’s ‘Wildlands’ area. Watch it here.

The game recently got a batch of Vanille screenshots that you can see here, and you can get its full Xbox 360 achievement list here. Beware of spoilers though.

Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13 hits PS3 and Xbox 360 in February.

1. Double F

This looks ok, I think I’ll wait till Final Fantasy 15 and Monolith Softs X comes out.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ireland Michael

That gameplay looks hella fun. Why they didn’t show this sort of stuff is beyond.

Unfortunately, the lore of FFXIII is such a hideous clusterfuck that I find it impossible to care at all about the story or characters,

#2 1 year ago
  3. Lv01

looks ace!!!!!!!

#3 1 year ago
  4. pandulce1

Where’s the Bayonetta costume? SE might as well complete the transformation of this sequel into an action game. It’s a shame that the glorious RPG days during the 16-bit era will never return.

#4 1 year ago
  5. freedoms_stain

Do you have to finish XIII-2 to understand XIII-3? I’ve put a few hours into XIII-2 and I’m not sure I can be fucked going on.

I’m not sure who thought the FFXIII formula would be improved by smooshing some Pokemon concepts into it. The whole Crystarium system needed to be fucked out the window really.

The idea of having a Serah-centric story wasn’t all that bad, but I’m not too keen on Noel or the way he was introduced into the picture. It feels like someone came up with a game called “Noel the Time Traveller” (or some such) and decided to shoe-horn Final Fantasy in there to scrape up some sales.

#5 1 year ago
  6. zoopdeloop

@2 +1
    the most uninteresting characters and story in the whole franchise.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Ireland Michael

@5 I’d say yes, but that’s giving the story more credit than it is due. I’ve played them both through, and I still barely have an understanding of the plot. It’s an utter mess.

Noel is actually a decent enough character, mainly because he avoids many of the annoying tropes that often affect lead male characters in JPRGs. He’s not angsty, whiny, bitchy or self obsessed, and actually takes action, instead of sitting around dwelling on his problems all the time like almost every other FF lead does.

#7 1 year ago