Killzone: Shadow Fall PS4 gameplay footage escapes Russia, watch here

Monday, 14th October 2013 15:11 GMT By Dave Cook

Killzone: Shadow Fall has been shown off in Russia by Guerrilla Games. Footage of the team’s demonstration has leaked online, and it’s all looking rather lovely.

As you can see, the footage shows off a forest environment first seen in screenshots issued by Sony.

It was posted online by Meow Nauts and picked up by NeoGAF.

I recently interviewed Guerrilla Games on the pressure of bringing Killzone: Shadow Fall to PS4′s launch. Check out what they told me here.

What do you make of the footage?

Via OPM.

1. Erthazus

Yeah. Looks like shit. Not to mention that AI is dumb. AI saw you then kills you and runs away (glitching at that moment) when little thing tries to revive you and instead of killing that little flying thing, enemy AI choose to run away for no reason at all. Brilliant.

the more I look at it the more I see PS3 roots from this game. It was developer for PS3 at some point 100% than ported to PS4 with better effects, decent resolution, textures.

#1 6 months ago
  2. Moonwalker1982

It looks pretty with all the effects and lighting, but I can’t believe i’m gonna say this, cause I loved Killzone 3….it just doesn’t look like anything special to me. I really liked how it looked at the PS Meeting in February….but it’s just not doing much for me now.

#2 6 months ago
  3. KineticCalvaria

@1, yeah sure Erth, graphics are shit… here come the men in white coats for ya…

#3 6 months ago
  4. Doppleganger

I feel bad that PS4 only has Battlefield 4 as a worthy launch title. Such a great piece of hardware but damn does the software STINK!

#4 6 months ago
  5. DrDamn

Looks great, nice progression in different builds since this level was shown at E3 too. Mist/fog and god rays being added recently, greater verticality was demoed at Gamescom.

I love the more open direction this level demonstrates, much better than previous KZ and certain other competitors in terms of SP. Go about the level and objectives as you want on a reasonably open map as opposed to being funnelled down corridors with set-piece after set-piece.

#5 6 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Looks very nice considering it’s cam footage, i just hope it won’t fall into the Crysis 2+3 Syndrome. Promise open world levels, but boring as hell gameplay.

I enjoyed both Killzone 2 and 3, but they weren’t anything special singleplayer wise.

#6 6 months ago
  7. Erthazus

@3, Yeah. They are nothing special. If you saw high resolution texturs for the first time I salute you.

#7 6 months ago
  8. Bloobat

Wow…what’s with all the negativity? personally I think this looks great and the multiplayer footage that’s been released looks great. The only true next gen shooter in terms of graphics IMO, yes BF4 looks good on PC but still you can tell it’s built to be scale-able…

#8 6 months ago
  9. Hcw87

Killzone is the only next gen shooter, BF4 is a crossgen game.

#9 6 months ago
  10. Panthro

looks a lot like crysis 3

#10 6 months ago
  11. mistermogul

@8 – I agree mate. I think this looks nice and I’ll probably be picking this up at some point…

#11 6 months ago
  12. Lv01

i have this in a bundle, and im excited for it. as a few people have said, the only truly next-gen shooter, the SP looks great and looks open, the MP sounds amazing with their warzone idea… im very excited for this.

#12 6 months ago
  13. dartmcgrath

@8,i was thinking that myself cheer up people fs.the more i see of this the more i look forward to it.its part of more or less every bundle so there should be a good install base from the get go so.i for one am excited,bring on nov 29th!

#13 6 months ago
  14. G1GAHURTZ

Colours and effects look nice, but it still looks like it’s being played in slow motion…

#14 6 months ago
  15. Erthazus

If someone thinks that BF4 is a crossgen game he was blind when he was born.

BF4 is the first game in the history of gaming that will have Real time Wind-simulation physics that will dictate the gameplay and in 1080p, 60 frames with fantastic shadows, textures, destruction and levolution where levels can be changed with destructibility on the PC.

Killzone:SF on the other hand have current gen roots with effects that are common in the PC – HDR lightning, AA, smooth textures, filters and so on.
    this has been done with every shooter since 2007-2008 on the PC.

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s56689/Killzone__Shadow_Fall_13711356908358.jpg – Shadow Fall screenshot. Just look at this mess and look at the trees. Last console generation. Soldiers have no shadows aka no SSAO effect. Grass also does not exist in this world.

#15 6 months ago
  16. Panthro

Yeah, but it was still developed across generations, that means its cross gen, people are just using the words ‘cross gen’ to bash it.

Nice picture though, nice to see a high-res actual screenshot that can be analyzed, I agree though.. its missing alot of stuff next gen should have.

Developers always cut corners for console games, its sad but its true and its always stuff the average gamer never notices until you point them out, they make all the stuff that is close very pretty and then don’t expect the gamer to walk around actually see what they have done.

1. Never good enough anti-aliasing
    2. Little to no texture filtering, (textures refrain from becoming blurry from a distance
    3. View distance is always very low, when looking into the distance without a scope its often very blurry
    4. obviously resolutions but only someone who is used to 1080p notices when its lower.
    There is alot more, but all this falls into optimizing the game to play its smoothest on the consoles.

PS4 and X1 have no excuse for offering anything less than and high with AA on a modern PC rig today, but even then… they still dont include AA and 1080p fROm the news and videos i’ve seen so far, Disappointing really since I was looking forward to getting another console in the next few years once I can make a judgement between which has the better games, its SONY so far though since they seem to support indies more.. love them indie games.

#16 6 months ago
  17. fearmonkey

The game looks beautiful to me. I don’t see how anyone can say it’s not a pretty game.

I wish they would show more environments though, this is the same level we have seen in clips before, but this is longer gameplay of it.

#17 6 months ago
  18. DrDamn

We do seem to be in a bit of a calm before the storm info wise from all parties. It’s going to ramp up very quickly though I think. I’m guessing most teams are frantically finishing the games!

#18 6 months ago
  19. CPC_RedDawn

Your comparing these next gen consoles to high end PC hardware. There is no point, these consoles have APU’s which were built for tablets and laptops which a few tweaks and improvements. They have GPU’s on the same die which are based on mid range PC GPU’s with some things turned off to save on power consumption and heat. These new machines are not like it was eight years ago going from PS2, XBOX to 360, PS3 which was an massive leap in hardware performance they even gave high end PC’s a run for their money back then. They were around eight times as powerful where as these new consoles are only around four times as powerful as current gen.

Don’t forget that games on consoles are optimized for that one set of hardware, devs can use 100% of the power all the time. On PC we have massive overheads like Windows OS, Crappy API’s, and drivers that improve things for one game and break ten others. So whilst on paper PC hardware is already around triple the computational power of these next gen systems it’s just a shame that no developer can actually use it to its maximum (AMD’s new Mantle API might change this).

I am mainly a PC gamer as well and I can see the differences, but lets face it there are some awesome games on consoles so stop whining about whos texture size is bigger, whos got the most levels of AA, or the better physics and lets just enjoy the games we like. If all you came here to do was to troll console gamers about the power of their upcoming hardware your an idiot and there was no point in you posting on this news article.

#19 6 months ago
  20. Erthazus

@19, I agree with you.

but Battlefield 4 that is on consoles even with 720p image is still going to look better then Killzone:SF and it’s going to have wind-simulation physics in X1 and PS4.

Look at the screen mate.

#20 6 months ago
  21. CyberMarco

Who cares? Do you enjoy the game? If not, there are so many alternatives. Each to its own.

#21 6 months ago
  22. jp24fan

Having played the Battlefield 4 beta on my PS3 (yep, console peasant), I can safely say that it was one of the most boring, uninteresting experiences I ever had with a game. I don’t know about the superior PC version but Battlefield 4 seems like a game that on paper is much better than Call Of Duty so it can make people go on and on about its hypothetical superiority on forums etc… but when you get to play it it’s actually quite a disappointment and that’s coming from someone that absolutely loved the Bad company games. On the other hand, everything about the Killzone series with the exception of 3′s multiplayer felt right. The gun on gun battles required much more skill, the setting was/is more interesting, the IQ of Killzone 2 still looks a generation better than Battlefield 4, the weight feeling and unique abilities made it stand out. All in all I had much more fun with the Killzone games and even Call Of Duty than I had with BF3 on my PS3 and while people can go on and on about the awesome destructible enviroments and variety of vehicles and scale, it still is one of the least balanced, competitive and enjoyable FPS out there (at least IMHO).

#22 6 months ago
  23. jp24fan

Also @20 I am no tech expert but I am really satisfied with this in terms of visuals. http://www.cinemablend.com/images/gallery/s56689/Killzone__Shadow_Fall_13711354456500.jpg
    http://blogs-images.forbes.com/erikkain/files/2013/02/KZ4_Chase1.jpg (literally the first two images that popped up when I googled Killzone: Shadowfall screens FYI)

#23 6 months ago
  24. Joe Musashi

Wind simulation physics!

Welp, that’s it. Next gen standard is set. Any game without NEXT GEN wind simulation physics = not a true game. Game over. Go home.

I know true gaming. Wind simulation physics in 4K resolution at 120fps is true gaming. No argument!

JM

#24 6 months ago
  25. ShaiKhulud

Wow!

I shot this vid on Igromir Expo fo Meownauts. It was 100% legal for off-screen recording press-session.

Few details
    - The game was running from PS4-devkit under TV. No PC’s or anything like it
    - The AA was there, but not too much
    - We’ve spotted no input lag from controller, though demo walkthrough was done by the dev
    - Full demo was about 20 min’s length
    - You can harpoon up to almost every object on the map
    - Screen tearing is indeed still there, this is not encoding glitch
    - Game looks more colorful and bright in person than on vid
    - Song on the background belongs to War Thunder section, it has nothing to do with the KZ OST

#25 6 months ago
  26. CPC_RedDawn

And you do realize that KZ:SF was more than likely a PS3 game first and then moved over to PS4. The game is full 1080p @ 30fps to try and see how far they can push the new hardware. Also the original demo was done on devkits using only 4GB RAM then Sony upped it at the last minute to 8GB so textures could change as we have no idea from the any of the footage shown is alpha/beta versions or what build it is. Also this is a launch title, everyone knows launch titles never fully use all the capabilities of the hardware the devs are still learning the hardware and with the limited time they have to finish these titles ready for launch only so much can be done.

And you also have no idea neither do I if that screenshot you posted is the final game or not, and we all know most screenshots are faked (ie photoshopped to look better) so you can never judge a game by still images wait til you see it in motion on a screen in front of you not via a video recorded by phone/camera/ or compressed youtube video. Then you can make your decisions.

#26 6 months ago
  27. DrDamn

They started working on this as a next gen title 2 and a half years ago (just after KZ3). Don’t think this was ever meant to be on PS3.

#27 6 months ago
  28. polygem

not feeling like playing a shooter again anytime soon (maybe destiny)…pretty much done with the genre after the disappointment halo 4 was to me, but this looks without a doubt really really pretty.

#28 6 months ago
  29. TrickyAudio

Ah the same people whining about graphics. Figures :)

#29 6 months ago
  30. Br549

Loving it.

#30 6 months ago
  31. mixedup

Lookin good guys. Single player solid one level shown. Multiplayer awesome, 60ish FPS 1080P, custom war zones. Nice use of the touch pad.
    The A.I. was running away because it was triggering an alarm. The A.I. is suppose to be great. Never got into Killzone but with what I’ve seen, it seems they have made a new fan. WHY ARE SO MANY PEOPLE HATING. IDK if your pc people who won’t get the game, xbots and won’t get the game, or people turned down for Ps4 preorders. lol You guys need to give credit where credit is due they made what looks to be a great game, what did you do other than write a hate comment and brush Cheetos of your belly and keyboard, while your mom served you another cup of juice. lmfao

#31 6 months ago