Dragon Quest 8 mobile footage shows touch control, graphics and new UI

Monday, 14th October 2013 08:46 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon Quest 8: Journey of the Cursed King is coming to iOS and Android care of Square Enix, and the first off-screen footage of the RPG shows how it handles with touch screen, thanks to a new UI. See it in action now.

The PS2 re-release was announced as part of Square’s plan to bring the first eight Dragon Quest titles to both mobile formats moving forward. The first game is due this winter in Japan.

The footage above was posted by Famitsu and shows the game in action on an iPhone.

What do you think?

Via AGB.

1. Eregol

Looks dreadful. Should have just made a version for Vita and left it as that

#1 11 months ago
  2. ham

#1 there are like a billion phones that could run that and about 3 million Vitas. They would be insane to put it out on Vita rather than phone.

#2 11 months ago
  3. Ireland Michael

@2 Why not *also* a HD remake for PS3 and Vita? I think it’s something that every fan of the franchise would gollop up in a heartbeat. I know I would.

#3 11 months ago
  4. ham

@#3 absolutely, they should do both. I would far rather play them on a system with buttons, but I was replying to #1 who said “Should have just made a version for Vita and left it as that”

#4 11 months ago
  5. Ireland Michael

@4 I’m a supporter of mobile gaming as well, but this just looks… odd. A portrait perspective? Really?

Actually… looking at it, I bet my bottom dollar this is going to see life on the 3DS at some point. I mean, look at it! That layout is too specific *not* to be optimised for the 3DS display. It looks silly on a phone, but on a device with two screens..?

And a lot of the previous Dragon Quest games titles were rerelease on the DS, so it seems like a valid choice of format.

#5 11 months ago
  6. fihar

Because Enix has always gotten the short end of the stick after they merged with Square.
    I remember reading that Square was actually in financial trouble when they merged with Enix, so much that the company should’ve been called Enix-Square instead of Square-Enix but looking at how many Dragon Quest titles released since then compared to Final Fantasies, it’s quite obvious who’s holding the reins at that company right now.

Just look at DQIX. Amazing as it was, I’m pretty sure the amount of work and money going into that title is considerably less than FFXIII.
    I understand that Dragon Quest was never about technical fidelity but looking at how beautiful Ni No Kuni looked (and to a certain extent, DQX), I’m pretty sure a proper HD DQ would look stunning on the PS3/360/Wii-U.

Simply put, SE doesn’t think that DQ is worth their money, hence the exclusivity deals and half-assed ports.

#6 11 months ago