Star Citizen commercial shows off 2944 Aurora customisation

Sunday, 13th October 2013 23:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although its presented like a real commercial, this Star Citizen trailer introducing the 2944 Aurora does a great job of showing off how many options players have to customise their ship even within just one product line.

This is the 2944 model of “space’s most popular spaceship”, the Aurora.

“For 2944 we are proud to introduce an all new model, the Legionnaire; Built for combat, designed for efficiency,” Roberts Space Industries wrote. “The Aurora has graced Ship and Pilot’s prestigious top ten list for a record breaking 63 years.”

The space sim sandbox is coming to PC at the end of 2014, if all goes well. It recently passed yet another crowdfunding milestone, having pulled in $22 million. This unlocked a facial capture system, allowing the development team to create more realistic in-game characters, and possibly even the faces of fans at special events.

The next goal, $24 million, will expand the in-game public transportation system,, which will allow players and vehicles to be whisked across space even if they don’t have the resources to make the trip on their own.

Thanks, I-Pod.

1. TMRNetShark

Star Citizen, the game that keeps on taking money. How does an extra $2 million help you put an in game fast travel system? I believe the word you are looking for is money grubbing.

I’m sorry, RSI… but I will buy the game when it’s released. That is, if it’s actually better than Limit Theory.

*Cough* Limit Theory is basically this game, but everything is procedural. All the systems, planets, asteroid fields, even the ships and AI are procedural. Oh, and it’s being made by one person…

Latest update for it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq4gih_AX44

#1 1 year ago
  2. Phoenixblight

Money grubbing?

People keep funding it and the developers would be stupid to say no.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Hyperx64

@1 Limit Theory ain’t even in the same ball park as Star Citizen.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Jerykk

@1 You do realize that the $2 million won’t only go towards the travel system, right? The money goes towards improving the game as whole, with the travel system being offered as a more tangible incentive for people to continue funding the game.

#4 1 year ago
  5. TMRNetShark

It’s alright guys… I hope the game doesn’t turn out to be Spaceship: The Model Viewer game just as much as you.

So far though, they’ve been focusing on ships and how “puuuurrrty” they look. Not much in the form of gameplay except “oh, it will do this and that.”

I’m saying, I hope it’s a good game… but I’m not holding my breath.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TheWulf

In regards to #1 and #5, I had the same reaction.

Essentially, it’s targeting a particular market that has a lot of money to waste with the same kinds of shenanigans that car advertisements use. I don’t know how familiar everyone is with psychology around here (though by past experiences I’d wager not very), but it’s a subliminal approach to lust and making you desire something. By presenting something in an exclusive, sexy kind of way, it becomes desirable.

It appeals to fantasies, and all fantasies are fetishistic to a degree. So yeah, that’s what they’re doing. It’s no different than car adverts — those ones where they show the car from every angle, with light glinting off them, driving through untouched forests as a symbol of raw, wild power. If you’re at all familiar with television, you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about, here.

It’s even been used to sell computers. Look up some of the Alienware and Asus laptop advertisements, it’s all specific angles with light glinting off of it. It’s all designed to make the viewer think ‘wow, that looks cool’ and to make them feel less for not having it.

The G74 advertisement is a great example of what I’m talking about in regards to how it’s crossed over from cars to computers.

And now they’re doing it to sell a space game to a specific market.

It’s always amusing really when you see that that’s what’s going on, and you see people just loving on these sex shots of pretty spaceships. So, yeah, just like a car commercial. They feel like they’ll be more for having those spaceships, and less for not. It works. Advertising has and will always works — it only stops working when you actually understand how it works. Not many people do.

It’s all different kinds of brain-poking to solicit specific responses.

I really haven’t seen any gameplay from them at all thus far or anything. Just sex shots of fighter planes in space. And sex shots of fighter planes in space are worth $24,000,000. That’s a lot of zeroes. This could be the greatest con of all time if they either took the money and ran, or just made a half-baked game. They probably won’t do that, but still.

It’s not my kind of thing, anyway, because it tends to just be fighter planes in space and that sort of thing; with joysticks, CRT monitors, and all that jazz. It looks archaic to me, but that’s just my personal preference. (Which I’m sure will offend someone, because the last time I mentioned that I didn’t like archaic-looking fighter planes in space, someone went crazy about it.)

So eh.

On the topic of Limit Theory, though? I have to say that that’s very impressive. furthermore, I like the ship designs so much more than I like those of Star Citizen. I like it when spaceships actually look like ships in space, rather than fighter planes out of their element.

I also love the talk of the AI. See, he’s talking about brilliant AI which he’s showing in action. And Star Citizen is providing yet more sex shots of ships. Limit Theory exists in obscurity, Star Citizen has $24m.

Sexy advertising works.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GwynbleiddiuM

^ Well you’re in the minority. A lot of us just can’t wait to get our hands on it. The last successful space fighters were Freelancer and Freespace, everything else were just unimpressive (the ones I played anyway).

I waited ages for Jumpgate Evolution to come out it never did, it was supposed to be a good action oriented MMORPG and Codemasters blew it because the devs ended up needing more money and they couldn’t prepare the game for the intended release window.

So, I’m investing a lot of hope in Robert’s Space Citizen because it has the experienced veterans of this genre and the budget to cover the development costs. But I too am concerned with the fact that the gameplay footage is lacking whereas these Car sales ads are many.

#7 1 year ago
  8. majinzane

#6 – In response to you not having seen game play.

Gameplay 1 – http://youtu.be/7vhRQPhL1YU?t=23m32s (Built by Robert’s and a small team as a prototype for the kickstarter, funded out of his own pocket)

Gameplay 2 – http://vimeo.com/51128339 Prototype Game play from Kickstarter

Gameplay 3 – http://vimeo.com/51125118 Prototype Game play from Kickstarter

Gameplay 4 – http://vimeo.com/51125119 Prototype Game play from Kickstarter

Also, every single commercial is done in engine using in engine assets, it’s not CGI, it’s how the game will look, so it’s basically game play.

Hangar module videos on Youtube, there are thousands of them, and while limited, it’s still game play.

You are right about them playing off of our human nature to increase the funds they get and I’m perfectly okay with it. I would give them more if I could afford it.

Hopefully these game play videos will help you understand why we, the backers, are okay with giving CIG so much money.

In December(ish), the dog fighting module will launch. When it does most peoples fears will be alleviated because there will be honest to goodness game play in the form of PVP and PVE combat to view.

People need to realize that what we are seeing is about 1-2 years before we would even hear about or see anything from a normal game developer or publisher. If EA was making this game, the first we would hear about it would be at the end of 2014 as they started ramping up advertisement for launch.

Also, Limit Theory looks amazing and the stuff he’s doing is nothing short of great, but it’s going to be a completely different game than Star Citizen. I look forward to playing them both.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Tannhauser

#1

Please stop playing MMOs, go back to school and improve your reading comprehension!

The public transportation network is NOT a fast travel network. It isn’t an automated travel network either! It is what it say, a public transportation network. On your way to school you might see big, bulky boxes on the road filled with people. We call them “busses”. The usually follow a fix schedule and pick up or drop people at so called “bus stops”.

It works the same in Star Citizen. There will be a network of public transports. If you lose your ship, you use the public transportation network to get around the galaxy. No, this is not like in your favorite game “World of Warcraft”, where a horse simply spawns out of nowhere and takes you to your destination. There will be actual time tables, and you will have to get a ticket and wait for your “space bus” to arrive. And if you have a bad day, your transport gets attacked and boarded, in which case the ship would be lost and the operator of the route would have get a replace because nothing in Star Citizen spawns out of thin air.

And if you have enough of haulinger cargo across the galaxy, you can be a bus driver yourself.

#9 1 year ago
  10. fearmonkey

Just bought a package so I will have unlimited insurance. If your interested in this game at all, it’s a wise idea to get a package now with the insurance.

I can’t wait for this game.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Uncle Fred

@6 Luckily, this is way more than just fighters in space, including 460 planet side locations, space station operations, mining, economy, trade, scavenge, eva combat and exploration, industry/trade and fps. No game has ever attempted so much in first person, and certainly not at this level of fidelity. Bare in mind this is a;ll in pre-alpha, and we already get to play around in the hanger module! What other developer lets you do that with such early code?

#11 1 year ago
  12. CubCadet1972

This games development is entirely customer funded. There is no third party publisher like EA involved to stick their fingers in and fuck this up. The more money the fans provide, the better the game will be.

Considering that GTA5 cost $256 million to produce, Star Citizen is small potatoes.

#12 1 year ago