Thief reboot will overcome “fan resistance” at launch, a confident Eidos states

Friday, 11th October 2013 11:24 GMT By Dave Cook

Thief producer Joe Khoury has predicted that “fan resistance” will be overcome once Eidos Montreal launches the game launches in February. It comes as games still hold reservations about the reboot living up to its predecessors. That, and some folk still don’t like new Garrett.

Our very own contributor Stace Harman played the game recently and he too had reservations. Find out why here.

Speaking with OXM, Khoury explained, “I think hopefully, our greatest sense of satisfaction will be when the game’s released and that’s where we’ll overcome fan resistance. I think there are a lot of optimistically curious people just as there are some fans who don’t know the full extent of what we’re doing, so for sure they’re basing their impressions on the little information that they have, and that’s concerning for them.

“We haven’t shown everything we have in our pockets yet. And I think when the game hits the street is when there concerns will be met. We’re looking forward to that day. Right now the team’s working so hard to bring the game to where it is, taking into consideration everything that everybody’s saying.”

On the negative reaction seen so far, Khoury continued, “When I read a lot of the comments I can see where they’re coming from, and I can guarantee that part of that is just ‘wait and see, judge for yourself.’ Hopefully it’ll be good. We’re fairly confident, but then art is very delicate to judge – it’s an opinion.

“There’s a lot of people that remember things differently for the first Thief, and what they like about the first Thief games. And hopefully 15 years from now people will be talking about what they remember about this Thief, in comparison to the first Thief! We’re reading what they’re saying with a lot of care. And what we reveal in the next few months will hopefully cater to some of the questions that they have.”

You can watch some Thief gameplay in this new trailer and judge for yourself.

What do you think?

1. TheWulf

It’s interesting to see them harping on the same things that some of the more die-hard fans of this reboot have said. That there isn’t much information, despite them having done a large lore dump not so long ago.

This is just politics. I’m not impressed, honestly.

Well, I suppose we’ll see who’s right come release. In the interim, TheDarkMod has hit its 2.0 release and now exists in its standalone state, and is likely better than any official Thief game will probably be, now.

Check it out, if you want.

#1 10 months ago
  2. YoungZer0

@1: Looks outdated.

#2 10 months ago
  3. Hcw87

The problem with expectations these days is that people expect a sequel for a game released in the 90′s/early 2000 to play and look EXACTLY the same as it did back then. This is where people have seriously flawed expectations, since gaming have moved on from the simple gameplay mechanics from the past.

Change the look of a character for example, and you will have major uproar. Change the voice of someone, same thing happens.

Fact is, no sequel for a beloved game released 10 years ago will NEVER ever surpass it, simply because nostalgia.

#3 10 months ago
  4. DrDamn

“It’s interesting to see them harping on the same things…”

Oh the irony.

#4 10 months ago
  5. absolutezero

“since gaming have moved on from the simple gameplay mechanics from the past.”

In most cases its the exact opposite though. They simplify everything to such a degree as to make any connection to the original series superfluous.

In defense of The Dark Mod it also has a map editor, which is being used to create just as crazily complex maps as the original Thief.

I’m guessing alot of people never played the original Thief, which is perfectly fine its a pretty niche title at the best of times.

#5 10 months ago
  6. Hcw87

Sure. But in some cases the simplifications is actually a plus (regenerating health for example). Not all games work well without it. Running around in Call of Duty/Battlefield picking up healthpacks would completely destroy the flow of battle.

#6 10 months ago
  7. absolutezero

This is all “Opinions” but Regenerating Health has never lead to a game being better than if it used health packs instead.

Same for the draining of colour for damage. Same for the bloody screen.

Regen health in particular has a serious effect on the way that encounters are presented and fights play out. In a game where you can just run off and recover with no penalty how do you make the player feel threatened by anything? Why you ramp up the amount of spam damage and hitscan weapons. Grey screen and you dive into cover, which kills the pacing as you crouch behind a box waiting for colour to return.

Battlefield does have med-packs, in the distant past of every Battlefield game before 3 there were specific Medic classes.

#7 10 months ago
  8. Luciferous

@7 Exactly this

Look at the encounters in The Last of Us.

Combat in that game was incredibly deliberate because not only did not have health regen you also didn’t have a lot of resources or ammo. Every mistake that cost you some health hurt, every bullet fired was a gamble.

If it used regenerating health the game would have been terrible.

#8 10 months ago
  9. absolutezero

“With the next-gen, with the smartphone, with the tablet, with the indie developer, it’s really, really cool because now we have a lot of different types of players. There is a type of people that like to have that kind of indicator, because… they don’t want to fight with all these mechanics. They enjoy the story, they want to progress, they want to feel that they are good, but at the same time they like to, you know, ‘let me help you a little bit’.”

I’m done. I’m Out.

I’m so fucking done.

#9 10 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

@9 Nice knowing you.

Change is fine. New audience aren’t fine. Less cumbersome mechanics and streamlined interfaces are fine. Mobile gaming is fine.

Half the time, if you want more of a challenge, all you have to do is increase the difficulty or change the options.

#10 10 months ago
  11. absolutezero

Tough all they changed in the new Thief difficulty selections is lowered HP.

The mechanics/interface/UI were not cumbersome in the first place, I never had to fight to play Deus Ex or Thief. They are brilliant games, they still are brilliant games. Its not about change its about not understand what made these titles popular and beloved in the first place.

Why bother “bring the series to a whole new audience” when you have removed everything that made the series special in the first fucking place?

“We are working very hard to respect these different types of player. Honestly, it’s like, let’s say you are at home, you like to write, and you have a novel in your drawer that you would like to share. I’m pretty sure you don’t write for one guy; you want to make sure a lot of people would see the story. It’s the same thing to us.”

“We’ve seen players who don’t even bother to read anything they find. We have to make sure the game is fun for them, too.”

Why? Why should the game be fun for these people? I know it comes down to sales figures and getting a return but fuck. FUCK.

#11 10 months ago
  12. Mineral4r7s

I feel ya.

#12 10 months ago
  13. Os Money

“Running around in Call of Duty/Battlefield picking up healthpacks would completely destroy the flow of battle.”

“Games like CoD and Battlefield would be completely different if they followed the same methods… you would have pitched fire fights that ebbed and flowed as people got injured and had to be pulled back to be healed by medics before heading back in… I’d probably play those games more if they were like that.”

@6&8

It’s called hardcore mode, it’s much more enjoyable if you haven’t yet tried it ;)

#13 10 months ago
  14. mreko3230

I just don’t think you can win if you’re going to be rebooting an old IP. People either complain that you’re just “re-skinning” the previous games without adding anything new and you’re too afraid to experiment or they think you are ruining memories of the their childhood nostalgia. You really can’t win.

But hey, what do I know? I actually liked ‘Thief: Deadly Shadows’ and that’s the one everyone hated.

#14 10 months ago
  15. Pitts

@14- Deus Ex:HR and X-Com:EU spring to mind. Both developers were pretty clever in how they rebooted things while keeping the fans happy.

#15 10 months ago
  16. fearmonkey

I have said it before but I am waiting till I see reviews and play the game for myself. I admit I wasnt happy about the new Emo Garrett look and the voice actor is different. I liked the old Garrett quite a bit, and will miss that.

However the guy they chose is a good voice actor and I’ll take a wait and see. I loved The original games but if it takes some changes to bring back the series, I will deal with it if the game is good. To me any new thief is good, just like any new Deux Ex is good. I loved Deus EX:HR and so I hope they do the same thing here, wow me when I finally get to play it.

If they release an average game though…God help them…

#16 10 months ago
  17. dexfx69

I liked the previous Garrett, who may have been a theif, but was trying to be ethical in his decisions. In this new game, it seems he’s a sociopath.

#17 10 months ago