PS4 won’t support voice chat via existing headsets

Friday, 11th October 2013 01:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Existing Bluetooth headsets won’t work with the PlayStation 4, apparently, and even USB jobbies won’t be compatible until after launch.

The news comes via GameInformer, which received its information directly from Sony. According to the platform holder, existing headsets just won’t work for voice chat on the PS4 – not even the Sony Pulse or official PS3 accessories.

A system update issued sometime after the PS4′s launch will make it compatible with current USB headsets, but existing Bluetooth headsets are not supported at all.

Presumably, new, PS4-friendly first- and third-party headsets will be released at or close to the console’s launch – but that’s no comfort for those who’ve recently splashed out on a new headset that won’t work with their new hardware.

It’s worth noting that the PS4 comes bundled with a mono headset, so you won’t be left with no option for voice chat at all.

The PS4 launches in November.

Thanks, Polygon.

1. BraveArse

I’m fine with the new headset tbh, but that directly contradicts an earlier story:

I have my doubts about this one.

#1 1 year ago
  2. merrc

Up until now, Sony has shown to be nothing but consumer friendly, but this goes against it. It’s only bluetooth! There is absolutely no justification for this

#2 1 year ago
  3. Francis O

@2 Up until now?

- Forcing people to pay for PS Plus to access online play on PS4
    - Stripping backward compatibility for PS2 games on PS3
    - No backward compatibility for PS4, instead charge you through Gaikai to play PS3 games.
    - Making PS3 controllers incompatible with PS4
    - PS Vita memory card prices

And now this…. Sony is not this perfect consumer friendly company you’re making them out to be.

#3 1 year ago
  4. pcbros

I wonder why they wouldn’t work.

#4 1 year ago
  5. merrc

@3 let me clarify, I meant this next generation they have been consumer friendly, as opposed to Xbox. Calm your tits

#5 1 year ago
  6. Javinator

Of course when it was announced that X1 at first wouldn’t support current gen headsets ppl went wild complaining, but then MS said that the X1 would have an adapter to support current gen. Silence.

Today news: “PS4 will not support current gen headsets”
    Ppl say nothing, don’t complain..

AND there’s NO adapter planned.
    Ppl still don’t complain.

Glad i dropped my PS4 pre-order long ago. Stick’n with X1.

#6 1 year ago
  7. G1GAHURTZ

Well, well, well…

Looky what we have here…

Seems like a certain company just can’t help lying their butts off to win the internets!

‘Oh yes, mr cash cow fanboy respected consumer. All your peripherals are 100% compatible with the PS4.’

Lies, lies, lies!

So it turns out that the X1′s headsets will actually work. And the PS4′s won’t!

Trollolololololol!!!

#7 1 year ago
  8. Doppleganger

Dont recall SONY ever being a consumer friendly company.
    I find it funny that we are finally getting info on the Sony console as it seems every news story is on Xbox One.
    I think most people favoured the PS4 cause no one knows nothing about it.. Sony cant hide forever :).
    I dont favour one console over the other and I go souly for content which I must admit am a Nintendo fan cause of their games but I will be getting a X1 cause of its 4 titles that intrigue me over then one 3rd party game on PS4. Which is Battlefield by the way and if the rumours are true and a third party game will run with higher res on PS4 I might re consider as thats a big deal.

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

let’s face it. xbox one is a mess you just cannot buy and ps4 also only is a ps3.5 with the same ol’ games.
    the business needs innovation. the next gen consoles focus on milking a market that became pretty huge. atm i cannot see ambitious, creative projects.
    nothing to see here to get excited about if you’re not between 16 and 23.
    sure, biz and journos try to generate hype as good as they can but if you look into it a little more the next gen is a pretty boring mess for now.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Valkryst12

Title is perhaps a tad misleading? as you state that the current (SONY) Pulse and Pulse Elite wireless USB headsets will work, just not at launch. Also as I recall… Microsoft stated that only 1 current gen XBOX headset will work (which is their own proprietary one) and requires you to purchase ANOTHER peripheral at an added cost to the consumer. I’m sorry but Xbox is losing out here.. As I own a Pulse Elite I am glad I will not have to suffer an additional purchase as it will be supported with an update.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Maguire82

LoL it shows you just what Sony were going to do and they saw the reactions to Microsoft announcements like there policy’s ect and U~tuned on everything that got a bad reaction.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Cort

Oh dear, Mr Butthurt is back and his butt is really hurting.

Will he EVER recover from earlier this year…..

#12 1 year ago
  13. DrDamn

Well that’s a bit rubbish. Strangely I have a feeling my X41′s which are designed for the 360 may actually work. Have they confirmed whether wired 360 headsets work on the PS4? That would be a bit odd but it’s just a mono+mic mini-jack isn’t it? :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. monkeygourmet

Why wouldn’t Sony want to sell a whole load of new peripherals?

People’s reaction to Sony since E3 has been pretty funny. This story isn’t a biggy, but after MS’s fuck ups, Sony literally kept their mouths shut and fanboys were proclaiming them the next messiah.

We still don’t know what went on behind closed doors. There policies seem reactive rather than consumer friendly IMO.

The words ‘best out of a bad bunch’ spring to mind…

#14 1 year ago
  15. Legendaryboss

@Francis
    Oh look who came out of his own imaginary fairy world to haunt a VG247 user for having a opinion thats different to your own.

1. Forcing? Its a choice just like its a choice not to pay for PS Plus, is Sony forcing that option?

2. Getting rid of backwards compatibility? How in the world is that non consumer friendly, its no more worse than an launch Wii U update apparently bricking consoles/taking too long, oh wait doesn’t apply to oh holy Nintendo. How about chargers being sold separately on 3DS up until 2DS?

3. Oh yes paying for backwards compatibility via Gaikai on PS4 isn’t confirmed, maybe in your world but not in real world.

4. PS3 controllers aren’t compatible with PS4? WTF is this? That doesn’t even make any sense. Nice forgetting PS Move backwards compatibility on PS3/PS4. Oh but hey if its a fact that doesn’t fit in with your opinion you just ignore it pretending it doesn’t exist.

5. Can’t argue on the prices of memory cards.

#15 1 year ago
  16. FabioPal

#16 1 year ago
  17. VibraniumSpork

#15 http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/costanza-clapping.gif

#17 1 year ago
  18. Joe Musashi

This seems incredibly arbitrary and dumb. Especially if the functionality can be patched in afterwards. Clearly someone dropped the ball somewhere on this whilst they were too busy wining and dining all those indie devs.

So I’m left to make degrading comments about another gamer’s mother in MONO during my play sessions? Simply not good enough.

JM

#18 1 year ago
  19. Legendaryboss

@16/17
    LOL :D

#19 1 year ago
  20. Hcw87

Do you honestly think playing PS3 games through Gaikai will be free? Honestly?

That would surprise the hell out of me.

Also if something was backwards compatible and it was suddenly taken away from me, i’d say that was pretty consumer UNfriendly.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Legendaryboss

I’m not talking personal opinion (if so no i don’t think so either) , i’m talking about if its confirmed, if not its based on two people telling him.

Suddenly? They warned us all beforehand.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hcw87

It’s pretty gullible to think you’re going to be offered games for free from a major corporation just like that. They’re probably spending millions just to get servers up in major parts of Europe allready and they’ll have every reason to cover that cost by charging people for streaming games they allready own.

And just because they warned you doesn’t mean it’s suddenly OK, i can’t see one single reason why they had to take away backwards compatibility/Linux support at all. There was major uproar.

Also, i find it funny that you accuse someone of ”haunting” another user of having another opinion of something. That happens EVERY single day in here (You just did the same thing to him, and it’s far from the first time i’ve seen that between you two lovebirds), and it’s kinda the point of having a comment section. If someone sees anyone posting shady ”facts”, like i just did with you, they’re going to comment, with good reason.

And btw, i don’t see the logic if your 4th point.

So unless you’re going to be playing Killzone with a PS Move controller, you’re going to have to buy a new controller.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Tech-N9ne

@Legendaryboss and @VibraniumSpork are just a bunch of silly ass fanboys.

They’d be saying something totally different had this been about the XB1. I wish VG247 had a way to look up user comments history. You’d never really take these guys serious. Nothing but a bunch of hypocrites.

@6 and @7 are spot on. I’d imagine that thing like this should have been priority for what is the “best game console ever made” according to some, Sony is so silent about details on the PS4 people just make assumptions for the better. I still wonder what else will not be available at launch.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Lahanas

@9 “xbox one is a mess you just cannot buy”

How in God’s name is the One a mess you just cannot buy? It’s launching with the best lineup in console history and it’s games (Forza 5, Ryse, Killer Instinct, Dead Rising 3, Below, D4, etc) are far more interesting than anything sony has shown.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Legendaryboss

“i don’t think so either” I’m not gullible, i never said they will or won’t charge (up until a certain point), i just said it isn’t proven. What do you mean you don’t see logic in the fourth point? I meant it doesn’t make sense as in just that. PS4 and a controller are both in the box just like Xbox One and controller are in the box. Now if it wasn’t in the box i would agree. I know it ain’t compatible. As for the PS Move that was only mentioned to prove a point. Shady facts? Point me towards where Sony said they were going to charge.

Saying what? Go on saying what? Because i have no idea what your going on about: oh wait, can you prove it? No? Speaking out of your ass? Bravo. Just like the Battefield 4 “hypocrites” post you ran when you and your cohorts couldn’t pin anything on me. So i am just not going to take you seriously.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DrDamn

“i can’t see one single reason why they had to take away backwards compatibility/Linux support at all. There was major uproar.”

Really? Cost and security. They may not be reasons you like depending on your perspective, but not being able to see them?

#26 1 year ago
  27. Hcw87

They should have thought about that before they made it available then. Pretty shortsighted.

Nevertheless, it was consumer UNfriendly to just take that away, which was my point.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Dragon

Sorry, useless argument. Sony was taken to court on this one and the complainants got their ass handed back to them.
    End of discussion. Sony did nothing wrong.

On topic, it sucks. But again, support will be there, but not day one.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Hcw87

Typical fanboy response. If Microsoft had backwards compatibility in the 360 and just suddenly decided to take it away because of ”cost and security” there would be massive uproar aswell.

Just because they lost in court doesn’t mean their arguement wasn’t valid. Sony fans hated it and actually sued them.

Taking away backward compatibility was a consumer UNFRIENDLY decision, there is no other way to look at it. At all.

#29 1 year ago
  30. Eregol

As far as Bluetooth goes the PS4 will support bluetooth right? It’s just BT headsets that were specifically made for PS3 that wont have the on screen display as you change settings supported. Not a massive deal.
    The thing that confuses me is the Pulse headset. As this will work with TVs, PCs and even the 360. So I have no idea why this wont work on PS4, unless, once again, it’s just the loss of the on screen notification of when you change a setting, which, once again, is no biggy.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Dragon

@29,
    I see that you know more that jury and judges. Good for you.
    Dat typical internet superiority…
    “You know you are right when the other guy starts calling you names”, nuff said.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Hcw87

Honest question. Do you think taking away backwards compatibility/linux support was a consumer friendly decision? If you answer yes to this, you’re an ignorant fanboy, if you answer no, you prove i’m right. Either way you lose. So have at it.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Eregol

Backwards compatibility: No. It’s just not financially viable. But then again, no-one ever complained in the NES/SNES and Master System/Megadrive days.

Linux: Yes. While it’s nice to customise your console it left open way too many security issues. As such it would not have been consumer friendly to leave that open to the majority of people who wouldn’t put Linux onto their machine.
    Hell, if you wanna stick linux on it, there’s nothing stopping you from hacking it and then not connecting to PSN ever.

#33 1 year ago
  34. DrDamn

@Hcw87
    I think you are confusing the issue by lumping backwards compatibility and linux together. B/C was removed in a PS3 hardware revision. I have a Phat PS3 from launch which still supports backwards compatibility. The Cost point applies to this and it also applies to the consumer too – they got a cheaper product by removing that feature. The choice was still there that if you wanted b/c you could buy the older version.

Linux is a different issue that was a combination of cost and security. Someone used this feature to hack the PS3 and Sony had the choice of patching, re-patching and re-patching to keep the feature or remove it and remove the problem. They took the cheaper and safer option from their view of removing it completely. Shitty if you used the feature as it was effectively forced upon you.

#34 1 year ago
  35. monkeygourmet

This arguement never works.

If a company announces Backwards compatibility, fanboys say it’s a huge plus.

If they remove it, fanboys say it doesn’t matter.

Stale mate, as always.

If Nintendo removed B/C from the 3DS, many people would be pretty pissed, and rightfully so.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Legendaryboss

Oh look 3 hours later and surprise, surprise ran away without any proof just as predicted.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Legendaryboss

Double post? Anyway this has been discussed, no more to add.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Playmaker

Second that legendsryboss and vibraniumspork are ponyboys who just slurp slurp. When they post all intelligent people know to stay away from the comments area. Basically as I have done. Knowing people like them will be on PSN makes me cringe and makes everyone on XBL very pleased I’m sure.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Legendaryboss

Yep, fanboys @23/38. Avoiding you both now. Its so telling.

#39 1 year ago
  40. Panthro

lol at the people getting mad over backwards compatibility, your paying for a new system with a different architecture…

If you want to play your PS3 games with your PS3 controller why dont you play Your PS3 games with your PS3 controller on your fucking PS3′s.

People are too tight these days and expect to be given everything in one package.

Nobody complained when the SNES came out and you couldnt play NES games on it… You know why? because there wasn’t so many whiney little bitches back then.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Ireland Michael

ITT: Fanboys who call people fanboys being called fanboys by fanboys.

#41 1 year ago
  42. VibraniumSpork

@40 Nailed it.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Panthro

+1 XD

#43 1 year ago
  44. Eregol

@40 In a way the PS2 being backwards compatible was quite possibly the worst mistake Sony ever made.
    You do these things once and people expect them again, and again. But it just isn’t cost effective.

#44 1 year ago
  45. Panthro

@44 I agree, I never really wanted to revisit any PS2 games that bad either… The ones I did want got a HD port… MGS3, God of war and God of war II and shadow of the colossus.

So glad they kept the PS1 classics though, Thats still my favorite console to date.

#45 1 year ago
  46. VibraniumSpork

Oh wow. Only just seen that Tech-N9ne called me a “silly ass fanboy,”…huh.

In fact, when the news first broke that MS were looking at putting the headset back into the box I commented that “Including the headset in the box makes perfect sense and, I’d have thought, is bound to be confirmed in the next few weeks…only thing now is to see if there’s any impact on the console price. I’m guessing no, but would love to sit back and watch the fireworks if they do.” Sounds pretty impartial no?

Meh, why am I even bothering? Must have way too much time on my hands. At least that’s *something* we share in common, Tech.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Legendaryboss

Sigh, I’m not defending anything but i am no longer bothered to debate/clarify further.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Panthro

well said, people need to drop this allegiance to a company bullshit, it is soooooo uninteresting and got very old quick.

EDIT- I used to love my PS3… Then I bought an xbox and loved that, Then I bought a gaming PC and now I love steam… Why cant people just roll with whatever they like without trying to defend a companies actions… Its sooo monumentally stupid.

#48 1 year ago
  49. Eregol

People have to realise there’s a difference between standing up for a megacorp and putting people right on a thorny issue.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Legendaryboss

Thank you, +100.

#50 1 year ago
  51. fearmonkey

I am bummed about this, I thought it was a sure thing that it would work with any Bluetooth headset. I was really hoping for that…..

#51 1 year ago
  52. pcbros

This is all very simple, would you prefer your existing headsets to work with the PS4? If yes, then complain.

#52 1 year ago
  53. justerthought

PS4 had the feature but they dropped it at the last minute. Strange. There must be a technical reason. Maybe the new controller needs more bluetooth bandwidth in order to run with a low latency.

#53 1 year ago
  54. noamlol2

there is always PC….

#54 1 year ago
  55. RocknRolla

@55 do you see PC anywhere near the article? no now fuck off..
    and yeah to your completely unrelated post my answer is “there is always a Mac” lol..

#55 1 year ago
  56. bradk825

That’s kind of a bummer for anyone who bought one. Similar situation over at the XB1 camp but there will be an adapter for them eventually, plus there’s a couple available at launch, like the TB XO Four and Seven which are pretty reasonably priced. Not sure if the blue tooth ones are going to work or not, I never checked.

#56 1 year ago
  57. bradk825

@56 LOL, there’s always N64.

#57 1 year ago