Pokémon X & Y street date intentionally broken by UK retailers, live-action launch video out

Friday, 11th October 2013 19:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GAME and other High Street retailers in the UK have broken the Pokémon X & Y street date a day early. According to various sources contacted by MCV, GAME went so far as to send text messages out to those who pre-ordered, telling them to stop in and pick the game up. Apparently since one retailer broke the street date, the others are jumping on the bandwagon. Surely, Nintendo will be very displeased over this. Pokémon X & Y is set to release tomorrow alongside the new 2DS.

Below is a live-action launch trailer. We think it’s new. Enjoy regardless.

1. absolutezero

Once one retailer has broken a street date here in the UK all the others are free to do so aswell without repercussions thanks to competition laws. The first store that did break the date however is still liable.

#1 9 months ago
  2. Legendaryboss

I don’t know when i’m picking this up, but sometime within the year.

#2 9 months ago
  3. polygem

i have my copy. i’m 4 hours in. online isn’t really working yet ;)
    it’s fun and it starts to pick up some steam now but i am not totally impressed with the presentation. while the battle mode and pokemon look great the trainer appearance and the world/ locations really don’t click with me at all…
    will keep playing this though, it’s fun. must admit that.

#3 9 months ago
  4. MarcoosVGC

Actually, check GAMEs twitter feed, they talk about how they have been working closely with Nintendo, which they have. For some reason, this seems more like Nintendo told them they could, for some reason.

EDIT: Just remembered, GAME also were selling 2DS consoles in store today as well, ahead of tomorrow’s release.

#4 9 months ago
  5. nikk900

Just so you know, GAME are selling it early because tesco did. I know because I work at GAME and we had an email not long after we opened this morning, telling us that we were aloud to sell Pokemon and the 2ds and I had to run around changing posters and pricing all the games.

This is just how the law works in the UK. If someone breaks the release date, everyone can. Usually if a game comes out on a day other than Friday, tesco will still sell it Friday and then we get told to sell it.

#5 9 months ago
  6. Ireland Michael

Yup, picked mine up yesterday and I’m about four hours in.

They ditched the newer levelling system (lower level, higher XP) from B&W which is a tad frustrating, but the gameplay is still great otherwise. Interface looks ugly as hell though – like a cheap Photoshop job. Game Freak, you’re better than that.

We should set up a thread for friends codes or something.

#6 9 months ago
  7. polygem

i am a noob to the series. at first i thought well well this is ok, kinda fun but it didn’t blow me away. i pretty much only used my starter critter and mowed down everyone. now, after a few online matches (they pwnd me), 10 hours in -facing my second gym trainer – it begins to reveal it’s beauty. i agree about the interface, terrible, ugly. i can’t understand why they didn’t come up with something more appealing, well it’s not game breaking.
    would like to share friendcodes but is it clever to post those online? have no clue…only have one real world friend on my 3ds (who bought y today yayy!)
    nintendo must finally get those unified ninty network accounts running.

#7 9 months ago
  8. Ireland Michael

A friend code is useless if you don’t both have each other’s. Each person has to add the other for it to work, so you’re safe even if you post it.

#8 9 months ago
  9. polygem

1864-9478-3565

#9 9 months ago
  10. Ireland Michael

4828-4538-3225

#10 9 months ago
  11. polygem

ok. added :)

#11 9 months ago
  12. polygem

ok, i’m officially hooked now :) played14 hours straight this weekend.
    i will definitely make a thread (if someone else wont do that) in a week or two. right now i don’t bother much with trading and playing online. i focus on the sp, battles and some pokemon hunting here and there. it will definitely make sense to share friendscodes later and trade and battle like little schoolboys n girls.
    great game.

#12 9 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

My code : 5000-2552-7509

Added @Poly & @Michael although haven’t got a Pokemon yet! :)

#13 9 months ago
  14. polygem

nice one!

#14 9 months ago
  15. Meatball

I’ll add my friend code to the list, because I like making new friends :)

3609-1371-8821

#15 9 months ago
  16. Ireland Michael

Added.

We should really make a thread for this. Maybe use it for setting up trades and stuff as well?

#16 9 months ago
  17. silkvg247

4742-5601-5596
    Added you all

#17 9 months ago
  18. polygem

@16 and 18: will add you later as well!

@17. thanks for the o power gifts. was pretty awesome how they automatically activated during my battle saying: ‘health+1 from your friend michael activated’ or something like that and then the potion animation was triggered and i was healed. cool stuff. tbh, i don’t understand how these o power stuff works yet. i was able to give you o powers too but i didn’t really understand how many of them i actually have. also tried to send you some potions and stuff from my bag but that doesn’t seem to work.
    must look into this now :)
    lots of things to do. tried wonder trade today, worked flawlessly and i’ve made a pretty good trade. after i finished the sp i will dive into this stuff. it’s actually more fun than i thought it would be.

#18 9 months ago