Valve: “Steam Dev Days” conference announced, will not invite press

Thursday, 10th October 2013 08:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Valve has announced ‘Steam Dev Days’, a two-day developer conference in Seattle this January. It aims to get creators together to share their collective knowledge and for talent to share their projects. It’s an industry-only event.

To be fair, the last thing developers need when trying to ‘get shit done’ is a bunch of us annoying writer-types tugging at their arms for an interview, so this makes sense.

The Steam Dev Days page is open now, and explains that the event will include roundtable discussions, and touch on industry topics like VR, user-generated content, Linux development and more.Attendees will also get a chance to test SteamOS, Steam machine prototypes and the Steam controller. Lucky sods.

It all takes place between January 15-16, 2014 in Valve’s home of Seattle.

What do you think?

Meanwhile, you can check out Steam machine prototype specs here. Would you get one?

Via AusGamers.

1. undermyrules

Steam Dev Days =3 words=Half Life 3 confirmed.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Mike W

Interesting, now I wonder which bitchy journalist is going to get on their soapbox and talk trash about Vavle
    because they weren’t invited?

#2 1 year ago
  3. tezzer1985

Great idea Vavle, I wish GDC was like this. Game journalism is at a all time low, and developers need space and time to create their games.

In other entertainment like movies, music even books, the creators are left to make their product, with little negative or postive press, until the build up to reales, with the criticism come on relase of the product.

Great job Vavle

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@2 “Game journalism is at a all time low”

Is it?

#4 1 year ago
  5. tezzer1985

@Dave
    That’s just my opinion, I’ve been reading about games since the SNES days. I remember the tone of the industry being very celebrative, journalist would celebrate and critique in a professional and well manored way.

Now you have big sites employeeing these self made journalist, who write flame bait articles for hits, when they give a game a low score, they can’t articulate their words to express what is wrong with the game, resulting in just insulting a game, that people worked hard on. If a company announces a new product, journalist talk about the negative, and say fans are the ones complaining, which I find shameful, if they didn’t write the headline, the comments wouldn’t be there.

Typical example, I listened to certain podcasts and read journalist reactions to the PS4 reveal, and they all complain, about no hardware shown, knack looks shit, it went on for too long, then all of a sudden MS reveal takes over as being underwhelming and Sonys was great, even when they let everyone know the games will be at E3.

I feel it’s the Journalist job at these sites to educate the readers on the industry, not act fickle and encrouge bad comments.

VG247 has it’s moments, but I believe this site has some of the best opinion articles, that are not flame bait, I love the way you do your semi reviews, vg247 is the best gaming site I read.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Dave Cook

@5 I wasn’t saying you couldn’t have an opinion. I was keen to see why you thought that. No harm intended.

Thanks for the kind words too :)

And yeah, I agree with a lot of what you said there. Some sites just take the utter piss.

#6 1 year ago
  7. tezzer1985

@Dave
    I only said “my opinion” so people didn’t think I was stating a fact, no offence was taken sir.

Dave I could write a book on what has changed, it’s gotten to the point I don’t even read reviews anymore or read gaming sites like I do.

1 last point, I also feel that is the reason publishers now tightly control the message of their games, with developer diaries, countdown timers on their sites, community managers etc, cause clearly they feel the press is unable to create the excitement and buzz around their game. I remember GT getting angry cause publishers where realising trailers on their own YouTube channels, and not through them. Every major site has also moved to creating video content of a dude standing in front of a camera saying the same thing they just wrote about, that confuses me.

Sorry about the rant Dave, I could go on and on, but I’ll spare you. Keep up the good work on the site

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 Nah it’s cool, I like hearing what people thing as long as it’s not just a blanket ‘games journalism is shit’ thing without any actual rationale.

Publishers have become very efficient marketers to the point that they set embargos for reveals, then pre-reveal-reveals, teasers for reveals, and so on. I’m tired of it, but it’s become a nature of the beast sadly.

The best thing I can do and the rest of the site is to not pander to it. There’s a lot we choose not to report on, but you never see it of course. There’s a lot of cheap marketing gimmicks that land in our inbox that I want nothing to do with.

The Capcom blood swimming pool was one example. The Dead Island wedding etc.

Thanks again for the kind words. We’ll keep up the work as long as people keep reading :)

#8 1 year ago
  9. TheWulf

I have to agree with #5.

I don’t read any news sites other than VG24/7 because they tend to be… ugly. They run controversial articles, hit articles, and just try to drum up page hits in the nastiest, most schlocky ways possible. They run ‘opinion pieces’ designed to troll people.

Stace Harman poked me about my opinions the other day, and he did so without trolling me or attacking me. He understands that I’m just a person with an opinion, and that I may actually be genuinely depressed about the things I say I’m genuinely depressed about, rather than being some… I don’t know, soviet agent with an agenda to take down Western gaming.

I’d buy Stace a drink. I respect that kind of response. I’m very much a golden rule person.

It’s being confronted with reasonable arguments from empathic people that makes me take a second to reconsider my own opinions. I haven’t met many gamers like that, and that’s a shame. I can have discussions with film critics about the poor representation of minorities, gay people, disabled people, and so on in films and it can go well. But if I try to have one of those with a gamer…

SPLOOOODE!

It’s messy.

So I don’t really tend to engage people other than those who’re interested in my opinions as just a different perspective. And I realise that not everyone will share the same perspective. It’s frustrating for me though because in some things I’ll find that the majority share the same perspective and they’ll try to shut you out by gathering a clique and going on the offensive. They’ll try to paint anyone who disagrees as a contrarian, a hipster, or a troll.

They can’t even conceive the idea that this person they’re talking to might be genuine. That I, with my opinions as they are, might be genuine. So they go on the attack, and there’s this frothing, sociopathic raaaage fest, and they spew hate everywhere. Not a single question asked. It’s rare that anyone asks whether I’m being genuine before going on the attack and assuming I’m not.

Yeah, my mind works differently. So I encounter a lot of very, very large cliques. They tend to all think the same way about something and I don’t. I’m used to that. I’m used to people gathering together in cliques and going on the offensive.

What I’m not used to is a gamer treating me like a human being.

Stace did that. So he has my respect. I won’t forget that.

If I say something like, oh, say…

I’m upset that games are taking the Hollywood approach of making everyone young, white, and beautiful where those characters used to be anything but those things.

It’s assumed I’m trying to troll or attack. But if you look at video games today, how true is that? I took on Thief a little while ago. Garrett is now much younger, naive, and prettier. And if we’re going to do a reboot, why not a hispanic Garrett, or an asian Garrett, or a black Garrett?

Yet that’s seen as an attack. I have alien opinions, thus they must be attacks. They’re not. I’m sad that gaming has become Hollywood.

It used to be fine for there to be minority ethnicities as main characters, or old folks, or even disabled/disfigured people. That was fine. That’s because gaming wasn’t Hollywood back then and… well, you know, things were different. And I’m just sad about the way we’re going and how typical it is. I think it says bad things about us, and we never really stop to question it.

I don’t think it’s wrong to have those thoughts.

Anyway, I’m sorry about that, I really am. I just wanted to explain why I like VG24/7. That was made specifically clear by Stace, yesterday. I was also pleased by how Brenna gently encouraged people to try Gone Home in the comments. She didn’t do it cloyingly in the article to bring in certain orientations, and she didn’t run a hit article just to play up to the misogynists. She reported the news and then gave an opinion in the comments. That’s fantastic.

It’s a unique quality you guys have.

So whilst I think that many places are doing it wrong by being cults of popularity, and being cliques, and shutting out any outside elements, I think you’re doing it right. You’re reporting the news as it is and allowing people to have their say about it, even if there’s occasionally the odd one out who doesn’t just parrot everyone else.

And I know I’m going to be accused of being a contrarian just to stand out. I wish I was. I wouldn’t feel so utterly shitty and emotionally exhausted sometimes after some of the exchanges here.

But that’s just people. And I’m glad VG24/7 is better than that.

It’s a damned high standard — and one you set yourselves — but you’re living up to it and I respect that.

I think what I’m saying is is that you seem to actually respect your audience rather than treating them as commodities, which is pretty rad, honestly.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Dave Cook

@9 Wow, thanks bud, that’s a great insight into how you feel about us :)

I agree as well, I think disagreeing with an opinion should never be an indicator that you have an issue with the original poster as a person. I think all too often things get a bit too personal and childish – It’s worst in gaming I’ve noticed.

We do like to trigger debate, and often I’ve thought that some of my pieces – while not offering much in the way of new information – are instead an attempt to trigger discussion. I last did it with my ‘SteamOS: Who exactly is it for?’ piece. It was a recap of the news then some theoretical views, and it seems to have gone down well.

Thanks again Wulf, and know that we’ll never turn to the dark side. Never, ever.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Pitts

I’d love to attend this, but don’t see a place where I can sign up. Maybe it’s invite only. :/

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheBlackHole

@11 It is. Invite only. Developers only.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Pitts

@12- Yes, I know. I was wondering if it’s open to more devs than just invites only. Sadly, that doesn’t seem to be the case.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DSB

Dude complains about the state of the gaming press. And I’m like “duh”, but then he complains about the guys who are actually critical, and I’m like “Whaaaaat?”.

Seriously, if the industry wants a bunch of cheerleaders, they should pay for them themselves, and leave them clearly branded. The role of a journalist should never be to sell or protect anything, a critic even less.

That would be my problem with most of the games press right now. It’s see no evil, hear no evil, speak no evil. And that doesn’t help anyone, least of all gamers.

Someone like Brenna may send a shot across the bow every now and then, but at least it gets people talking. You can call that “hit baiting” but if it attracts hits, then obviously people find it interesting. I’ll take agitation over apathy any day of the week.

#14 1 year ago
  15. oculusgames

@undermyrules

10/10/13 – 10+10+13 = 33 double confirmation of HL3
    8:49 am = 8+4+9 = 21 = 2+1=3 HL3 confirmed!

#15 12 months ago