PS4 designer wanted to change “the PlayStation brand image” a little bit

Thursday, 10th October 2013 23:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The PlayStation 4′s slick outer shell was designed by one Tetsu Sumii, who wanted the new console to break away from the brand’s past image.

Speaking to the PlayStation Blog, Sumii said the console’s sleek, simple, living-room friendly design was a conscious break away from the very console-looking shells of previous PlayStation machines.

“I think the PlayStation brand image needs to be changed a little bit, as it’s a new console, and we have to show what we’re pointing towards for the future,” he said.

“So I thought it should be one of the most smart, cool, and intelligent products from Sony. Not just from Sony Computer Entertainment but the company as a whole. This should be one of the best, coolest, most sophisticated products we’ve created. That’s what we were striving for.

“When we started the product design for PS4, we didn’t start by thinking about what the shape would be. It was more about how we were going to create a new brand identity through the product. I just wanted to make a simple object for the living room. Sometimes products are a little too exaggerated. It should be simple. That’s my thinking,” he added.

The PS4 launches in November. Can you believe how close that is? Gosh.

1. Crapgamer

I don’t think it’s a terrible design at all, but I have to wonder if having an internal power brick and an added 4 gigs of RAM added as late as it was if this thing is going to have issues overheating?

Microsoft played it safe with the Xbox One’s design, lots of space, external brick. I just think this PlayStation design screams issues. Hopefully I’m wrong, though Karma is a thing and I remember the joy of people when the Xbox 360 had overheating issues.

#1 11 months ago
  2. melonbuster1

They waited until they saw the xbox1 then copied it and put it on a slant. Sad really. But u could care less to be honest. As long as it plays my games im cool

#2 11 months ago
  3. Panthro

XB1′s case isn’t slanted if i remember correctly?

#3 11 months ago
  4. fearmonkey

I’m kind of surprised that the PS4 has an internal Power Supply when the bigger Xbox One has a power Brick like the 360. I’ll be interested to see how the cooling is on the system, like the sound of the machine when a game is being played, etc.

I remember thinking when they showed the console, “wow it’s the same color as the Xbox One”. I like the two tone, but kind of wished they would have made them different colors.

#4 11 months ago
  5. pcbros

I know the Xbox One has well designed ventilation. Haven’t heard from Sony’s end. But if it has an internal power supply and supposedly faster running components, it could be a problem.

Let’s see if the “Red Equator of Death” doesn’t become the new catch term this generation.

#5 11 months ago
  6. Belazur

#2
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    What a pile of BS!
    Dude, go away with your fanboy crap.
    The PS4 has clearly the better design and it has nothing to do with Microsoft’s 80s VCR design.

#6 11 months ago
  7. pcbros

^^^ Said the fanboy

#7 11 months ago
  8. Animeboy413

I Want MORE articles from Brenna Hillier!

#8 11 months ago
  9. DSB

Yeah, taking the PS2 and slanting it a little bit is truly revolutionary and futuristic and all kinds of brilliant.

……. Christ.

#9 11 months ago
  10. XanderZane

I don’t really care for the design. I still like the PS3 Slim design better then all the other PS systems. This design is just whacked. I don’t think anyone has seen any games actually running on a REAL PS4 retail system yet. They didn’t have any at E3, Gamescom or TGS from what I’ve read. They had the SHELL of the PS4, but it was in a glass box and no one could see the power light on it. Many journalist say the games were still running on devkits or PC hardware. We’ll see if Sony puts some real systems out there for gamers to play demos before the system launches on Nov 15th. As for the XBox One, it’s design sucks as well. Big black square box. Not impressed. Thankfully I buy game consoles for GAMES and not what the hardware looks like. At least their games were actually running on the real hardware.

#10 11 months ago
  11. Erthazus

PS2 case… Wow… So much for slick device… Lawl.

#11 11 months ago
  12. deraj

#1 Yep, you’re wrong. “They know how to design the console so it doesn’t overheat. If you notice that PlayStation 4 is smaller, it’s because power consumption is less; simple as that.” – Mark Cerny.

#12 11 months ago
  13. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, it used to be ‘premium quality build’, now it’s ‘cheap and cheerful’.

#13 11 months ago
  14. Kuwabara

Jack tretton already spoke about how sony have the best console engineers in the world, which is why they don’t need an external powerbrick. Also the ps4 console is larger than the last 2 ps3 models if i’m correct, yet the cpu /gpu is based on 28nm process with 15-25 W. So there will be no heating issues at all.

#14 11 months ago
  15. Dragon

“They waited until they saw the xbox1 then copied it and put it on a slant. Sad really.”
    *facepalm*
    I cant believe even a fanboy can think that a console is designed in 2 months. Epic fail I guess.
    No wonder it came from #2.

@14,
    Right-o. PS4 has a working temp. of 15-35C according to US hardware rating agency (cant remember the name of the US hardware rating org., someone remember?) afaik. So no worries on that part.
    On pure hardware design basis, PS4 trumps X1 easily. In a smaller box they managed to put more tech and even PSU. With no perceptible heating issues according to ratings, its clearly a good design.
    Not surprising really, Sony is predominantly a hardware company and MS is a software one.

#15 11 months ago
  16. Cort

No, sorry. It still looks like crap. Sony’s hardware refresh always looks better than the original. In three years we’ll get one that looks good under the TV.

#16 11 months ago
  17. KineticCalvaria

I like the look of it, it’s interesting. Although it is essentially a ps2 with a slant at the front.

#17 11 months ago
  18. VibraniumSpork

@15 “Sony is predominantly a hardware company and MS is a software one.” – This this this. People forget this all the time.

Who’s hardware liability to people trust more? Sony, who broke ground with the 3.5″ floppy disk, Walkman, Compact Disc, Blu-Ray, numerous Playstations and more in an illustrious hardware career that’s lasted over 50 years?

Or Microsoft…who created the Zune. Oh, and a console with the highest fault-development rate in history.

I’m not saying that PS4 will necessarily ‘win’ this console generation in the end, but anyone claiming that the XB1 will be a more reliable machine than Sony’s is really grasping at some fanboy-flavored straws.

#18 11 months ago
  19. Lv01

@15 & @18 +1 * 1,000,000

#19 11 months ago
  20. KineticCalvaria

@18, very good points. Never thought about it like that, I do indeed trust Sony more with the hardware side, xbox has always had a better UI in my opinion.

#20 11 months ago
  21. VibraniumSpork

@20 Absolutely agree, MS definitely lead the way in the UI stakes (as you’d hope with all of that Windows experience ^_^ )

Frustratingly, this leaves the tantatlising prospect of what would happen if the two ever joined forces…a console that benefits from MS’s software know-how and Sony’s hardware expertise. We’ll prolly never see the day, but what a console -_- It’d cause horrifying spectacles of mass fanboy self-immolation though ;)

#21 11 months ago
  22. Dragon

@18,20,
    Agreed. And we can see that this gen too. PS3 had the better (stable) hardware while 360 had best online infrastructure.

However, one wins it all and other loses it all, according to fanboys.

#22 11 months ago
  23. dexfx69

Xbone and PS4 both are boring black boxes. Blah.

#23 11 months ago
  24. bradk825

They want the black boxes though. More than ever of their audience are adults now, and it fits in better on the nice TV stand, though the old designs looked great on the milk crates my TV used to sit on.

#24 11 months ago
  25. bradk825

@21 they wouldn’t have to self-immolate, they’d catch fire from over-heating rage glands.

#25 11 months ago