Xbox One and PC cross-play: “I’m not allowed to leak things,” says Spencer

Wednesday, 9th October 2013 11:05 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and PC cross-play is a potential result of Games For Windows Live closing. One site has asked Microsoft’s Phil Spencer if cross-play between both formats is a possibility, and he replied by saying he’s not allowed to leak things. Curious.

Speaking with AusGamers, Spencer was quizzed if the Xbox One’s PC-like architecture, coupled with its Windows 8 features and cloud support could see the release of cross-play titles down the line.

He replied, “I’m not allowed to leak things [smiles]. But I think what you’re talking about makes a lot of sense. Now you have differences in Windows gaming and console gaming around control and input… in fact if you go back to Shadow Run on Xbox 360 — something I worked on — we had PC players playing against Xbox 360 customers. We didn’t have tremendous success with that, but we learnt a lot from it.

“And then earlier this year we released Skulls of the Shogun, which was a game we launched on all three platforms on the same day, and you could start on one platform and then save the game to the Cloud and play across any of the screens and progress. And then Halo: Spartan Assault has some links between Halo 4 and Spartan Assault, even though they’re very different games.

“This connected ecosystem across all the different devices is definitely where I think the future of gaming is going; you don’t have to do it as a developer, but you have the capability and I think a system like Xbox Live across all those screens where you know who someone is and who their friends are, what their Achievements are and their progression is really critical to that.”

If follows Major Nelson’s suggestion that Xbox One could get mouse and keyboard support down the line.

Would you like to see Xbox One and PC cross-play established by Microsoft?

Via OXM.

1. Pytox

The power of the Cloud ! :D

#1 12 months ago
  2. AmiralPatate

First, would this mean Xbox Live on PC would be paying?
    Second, would this mean we’d have to use Win8?

#2 12 months ago
  3. aseddon130

@2 Whats wrong with Windows 8??? Its great.

#3 12 months ago
  4. Pytox

@2 that’s what they wanted to try with GFWL so I guess it won;t work this time around :p Win8 probably yes …

#4 12 months ago
  5. KTF26

if it’s no
    he would say no

#5 12 months ago
  6. AmiralPatate

What’s wrong with Win8 ? Well, everything about the UI. What’s behind is not much different from Win7, but that UI… hell no.

#6 12 months ago
  7. traumadisaster

One of the few things Ive heard that would be a huge deal for me. I love my pc but have to buy both consoles for the exclusives. So if I could play ryse on pc then I would get the xbox.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Hirmetrium

@3: The fact I can’t run it with the same UI as windows 7.

#8 12 months ago
  9. ddtd

@2 They got rid of the Games for Windows Live program.

#9 12 months ago
  10. deadstoned

I would not welcome such attempts at cross platform services from Microsoft. As from previous experiences of GFWL their PC cross platform service for Shadow Run completely failed.

For Skulls of the Shogun the devs regretted the Windows 8 exclusivity period in an interview with RPS and wished they got on Steam earlier.

Whilst Halo: Spartan Assault… Who played it? Anyone? Nope, pretty much nobody, but the die hard Halo fans who also owned Windows 8 played it. One of the stupidest token games of a big franchise I’ve ever seen.

Microsoft has done only token gestures to PC gaming in the last 7 years. They have no twinkle in their eye on the subject. Only incompetence and a history of neglect. Until Microsoft actually does something substantial in PC gaming they are not worth talking about.

#10 12 months ago
  11. archaven

Microsoft has failed in 2 market segment: PC and the Mobile by focusing only on consoles. No doubt they make alot of money from last generation. But Sony(a strong contender) is having an edge over next-generation. Microsoft is bound to fail and i like to see that.

#11 12 months ago
  12. laxan96

Everyone with Win8… Do yourself a favor and install something called “Start8″ With that you can eliminate everything regarding win8 metro interface, and use normal start menu start directly into the desktop and never have to see metro again if you don´t want to.

#12 12 months ago
  13. Nephilimator

The PC crowd is not going to want to play with twelve year olds on live.

#13 11 months ago