GTA 5 on PC: “Somebody paid a lot of money” to keep it exclusive, says Intel boss

Wednesday, 9th October 2013 04:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Grand Theft Auto 5 will come to PC eventually, Intel executive Chris R. Silva has predicted, darkly accusing “someone” of paying to keep it on consoles.

The executive believes it’s damaging to the industry to overlook the PC when releasing a multiplatform game.

“At least with Grand Theft Auto I don’t think it’ll be console exclusive very long. But that’s what happens when you have a brand new launch with two companies that have lots of money trying to make sure they have content,” the marketing director told PCGamer.

“Somebody paid a lot of money to make sure that title was exclusive,” he added.

Gosh.

Silva said keeping Halo console exclusive before porting the first game to PC was a mistake which hurt the franchise overall, and pointed out that PC gaming is only growing.

“If you look at the amount of revenue that is generated by PC gaming it’s in the tens of billions of dollars each year. It’s incredibly diverse and rich and that’s it’s greatest strength,” he said.

Thanks, games.on.net.

1. Dragon

Nvidia and Intel – Partners in butthurt

Pro tip – None of them as any role in next-gen.

#1 1 year ago
  2. CinCityPyro

What kind of shit journalism is this? almost every post here is only a paragraph or two, but this one particularly leaves you hanging and only raises questions. Why would they even bother write this short garbage, other then to make a quota. I hope your not paying for these authors? But if you are sign me up. Anyone can write a few sentences, only idiots would pay for this lackluster of writing skill.

#2 1 year ago
  3. TheBlackHole

Erm… Pretty sure exclusivity of halo made the Xbox successful and created a billion dollar franchise.

What’s this guy on?

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheBlackHole

@2 easy tiger. Brenna would eat you for breakfast.

#4 1 year ago
  5. spoffle

CinCityPyro: You should learn to use English properly before criticising the writing ability of other people.

#5 1 year ago
  6. JewyMcJew

You have to go console first to combat piracy.

Consoles publishers have to deal with used games, PC publishers have to deal with piracy. Piracy is worse.

#6 1 year ago
  7. DSB

I’m pretty sure the real reason is a lot more boring than piracy or bribery. Most likely they just had their hands full. Wasn’t Max Payne 3 on all platforms on day one? I think it’s about having enough resources to go around.

@1 I think fanboys see what they want to see. The next gen might sell what? 240 million consoles tops? Over 10 years?

The PC moves 350 million units every year, not counting piecemeal hardware.

Who owns that market? Intel and Nvidia.

#7 1 year ago
  8. spoffle

@7 I don’t know about Intel, but nVidia are very clearly butthurt about it with the cognitive dissonance that they are displaying towards the consoles.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dragon

@7,
    “The PC moves 350 million units every year, not counting piecemeal hardware.”
    And how many of them buy games? Steam, the biggest online pc games store has ONLY 50 MILLION users in what, 10 years?
    “The reason why AMD bagged the console gig is because they very badly needed it. They were probably willing to go a lot lower than the two marketleading “butthurts””
    So? Simply put, no one approached Intel (no substantial rumours to prove otherwise).
    What is your point btw?
    “I think fanboys see what they want to see.”
    Care to clarify? Although I agree with the statement.

#9 1 year ago
  10. LordSkyline

@7 I doubt 2k/R* would have a problem releasing it Day 1 on PC, but if you look at it from this: Many console people were upset about the FPS drops and the like, so many would definitely buy it again for PC not just for that but because of modding and stuff (given not the majority by far, maybe not even at full price) but it’s still extra Revenue from those people.

@1 Ye Intel is so butt hurt to be sitting on (give or take) a 70% market share in Desktop/Notebook CPUs.

Nvidia surely is also butthurt at not receiving 100-250mil a year from the console chips they’ve been making this generation.

For which they have to keep production facilities that produce SUPER outdated chips (nvm the manpower to run those facilities) instead of using these facilities to develop their current stuff.

Yes the initial payment for development and that kinda stuff might be a nice boost but in the long run it’s pretty much “chump change” for them. And that is of course talking about Revenue so who knows what actually is left after everything is paid.

People overestimate the money that is to be made of being in on the console gig, it might be quite nice if you basically ship both CPUs and GPUs for all the consoles of the Generation, but if you have to share the cake it actually isn’t THAT substantial to these Billions of $ heavy Manufacturers, at the very least in the long run.

#10 1 year ago
  11. KTF26

@JewyMcJew
    “Consoles publishers have to deal with used games, PC publishers have to deal with piracy”
    you’re noob

games publishers don’t have full control over my ps3
    i can apply jailbreak on it and play pirated beyond two souls and GTA V and other exclusives (i won’t do it)
    it’s very easy

millions of copies of pirated GTA V downloaded

you can’t defeat piracy
    there is no perfect security

#11 1 year ago
  12. Phame

Just think of the amount of money and units moved in which they lost out on, which could have increased these records.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Templar_Dante

Intel afraid of APUs.
    Like, salty Nvidia.
    hahaha.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Dragon

@10,
    “So ye surely going to hurt them to lose that 0,05% of their yearly income, sounds like a totally legit reason to be butthurt about.”
    Oh really? Tell me how you reached your “0.05%” thing. Unless you pulled it out of thin air.

#14 1 year ago
  15. AmiralPatate

Like GTA III, VC, SA and IV didn’t come out 6 months later on PC.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Eregol

At the end of he day, if this had been released on PC on day one it most likely would have been gimped tas a port of the console versions. While good for the modding community this would have led to a mass of PC ‘enthusiasts’ crying out against Rockstar’s handling of the PC as a platform.
    Much better to delay the release and make the PC version properly.

#16 1 year ago
  17. CyberMarco

@Dragon

“The PC moves 350 million units every year, not counting piecemeal hardware.”

And what does that have to do with what DSB mentioned? Intel and Nvidia are making lots of money, regardless of consumers buying PC for gaming or not. You can’t deny that they have the bigger chunk of the pie, nor say that they are “butthurt” for losing a small percentage of their revenues.

Spinning much…

#17 1 year ago
  18. _LarZen_

If this came for the PC at day 1 it would have been the most pirated game to date. I know it, you know it..heck everyone knows it.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DrDamn

Is he really suggesting MS & Sony colluded together to keep it off PCs? Odd.

#19 1 year ago
  20. YoungZer0

@18: It also would be the most bought PC game to date. I know it, you know it. Heck, everyone with a little brain knows it.

The console version was pirated 2 weeks in advance.

““Somebody paid a lot of money to make sure that title was exclusive,” he added.”

I somehow doubt it. Look at GTA Online. Rockstar would’ve ruined the PC launch if it was supposed to launch along with the console release.

#20 1 year ago
  21. _LarZen_

#20 Sure go ahead and insult me. Hope it made you feel all good inside.

#21 1 year ago
  22. RefuseBunny

Why does it say “feature b” at the top?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Dave Cook

@22 that’s what we type to slot it into the ‘B’ slot in our homepage. I think someone’s typed it in the body text instead of our tag search field.

#23 1 year ago
  24. AmiralPatate

You’re absolutely right. It’s no secret there’s a lot of piracy on PC, but it’s no secret either the most pirated are the most bought.
    And you’re also right about console piracy, I know a bunch of people who pirated it on PS3 before release.

#24 1 year ago
  25. absolutezero

Why are you people so intimidated by the PC?

Why?

#25 1 year ago
  26. Panthro

I doubt any companies are ‘ butthurt’ over it… Using that word is now no longer funny and shows how ridiculously stupid you are.

And I doubt intel and Nvidia are afraid of APU’s since they only get put in notebooks and consoles, intel rules the desktop world at the moment, sure alot of people have amd CPU’s but alot more use Intel.

@absolutezero

Because people don’t like being told/ shown there consoles are outdated.
    so they attack anything the PC does
    “PIRACY!”
    “YOU ONLY CARE ABOUT GRAPHICS”
    “NOT REAL GAMERS SINCE PC’S CAN MAKE SPREADSHEETS!”
    “YOUR AN ELITIST BECAUSE YOU HAVE VALID ARGUMENTS ABOUT HARDWARE”
    “ETC ETC”

#26 1 year ago
  27. Panthro

Ooops

#27 1 year ago
  28. Dragon

@CM,
    “The PC moves 350 million units every year, not counting piecemeal hardware.”
    And what did this had to do with my comment?
    Just because you like PC and Valve doesn’t mean anything you should see anything against them as a spin. How is you coming in defence of them not a spin?

“Intel and Nvidia are making lots of money, regardless of consumers buying PC for gaming or not. You can’t deny that they have the bigger chunk of the pie, nor say that they are “butthurt” for losing a small percentage of their revenues.”
    Where did I say that? You sure you aren’t putting words in my mouth?

“Is he really suggesting MS & Sony colluded together to keep it off PCs? Odd.”

See? This is the “butthurt” I am talking about. No need to be butthurt about that.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Rockin a Jack D

The PS4/X1 userbase is currently zero. It’ll take years before those consoles hit 50m units each, if they even get to that number.

#29 1 year ago
  30. absolutezero

“I am quite surprised how people cant talk but go straight into insulting/aggresive/stay away mode after hearing anything remotely negative about their companies.”

Oh God the irony, it burns.

pssstttt Steam is not PC gaming. I know its an easy peasy cover-all but theres a fuckload more going on than just whats on Steam.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Panthro

Yep, every one who doesn’t use PC as a format for gaming thinks steam is the only place for PC gamers to go…

#31 1 year ago
  32. Legendaryboss

So Sony and MS payed to keep it exclusive to their platform? Someones “butthurt”.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Pytox

@28 it’s Valve not Vlave :p

AMD creates for the consoles because they are the cheaper alternative compared to intel/nvidia but performance wise amd is always less because they have less market share.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Dragon

“I fucking hate people that play video games, they truly are the worst fanbase of any major media. The sheer amount of shit-posting and bile spewing and just utter corporation licking stupidity.”
    Says someone on a video games forum while himself playing games.
    Oh God the irony, its so hilarious.

I am eagerly anticipating an expletive laden response.

#34 1 year ago
  35. absolutezero

Its funny that you choose that specific sentence to copy paste because it sums up this entire comment section fucking perfectly.

I mean it might blow your mind to hear but hyperbolic statements are not all that rare on the internet. Also disliking a fanbase has absolutely no baring on the enjoyment of a medium.

Please do continue being a passive aggressive smiley posting retard though.

kisses.

#35 1 year ago
  36. monkeygourmet

Don’t take away his main form of attack.

There is nothing like ignoring 90% of someones input / comment history and then cherry picking a select sentence (completly missing out it’s context), and trying to use it to prove a point.

Works like a charm, but only without prior knowledge.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Legendaryboss

#37 1 year ago
  38. absolutezero

I feel quite flattered that he remembered I said that. Then went and found it on the forum in order to link to it in here.

At least it shows he’s taking things on-board a little.

#38 1 year ago
  39. CyberMarco

@Dragon !???

I fail to get a grip on what you say.

Where was I “defending my beloved” PC and Valve? I was pointing out that despite Intel/Nvidia not being part of next-gen consoles they aren’t losing much revenue from possible partnerships with MS/Sony.

“Intel and Nvidia are making lots of money [...]”

I wasn’t putting any word in your mouth, I was just make a clear point.

Also, chill out!

@29 That wasn’t my statement.

#39 1 year ago
  40. monkeygourmet

Selectivly yeah, but taking things on board non the less.

And credit where credits due, it must take a lot of organisation and bookmarking to be able to link / ‘pluck’ choice sentence’s out to use in the future.

Maybe even a secretary or some form of filing system would be helpful.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Pytox

@39 yea indeed, Intel could make amd go bankrupt but they wont cause as a monopoly they would get a lot of complaints from EU etc :p

#41 1 year ago
  42. Dragon

@CM,
    Oh man, you misunderstood like last time.
    Part after….. wasn’t aimed at you. Remember that used games debate.

Also, I never said Intel and Nvidia are going down or something like that, however point remains that they are not in next-gen consoles. People like to make a point about how “Its not necessary for them”. But, frankly, who doesn’t like profits? Simply put, neither Intel or Nvidia are alone capable of providing a complete set like AMD. Thats it.
    I dont know how “next-gen will sell this” and other things DSB said cam into foray, and then you quoted my response.

I dont see why you made that “spinning” argument.

Nvidia and Intel are well run companies with great products, I never denied that. I just said this particular comments feel like butthurt, and I am not alone in feeling that.

And I am cooool :P

@Pytox,
    Same as above.

I am quite flattered banned Lee Wilson still obsesses over my comments. Quite typical, if not sad…
    Onset of OCD I guess?

#42 1 year ago
  43. monkeygourmet

Uses someones real name he found after carefully studying someones photo, accuses someone of being banned after writing emails to Pat about another poster.

Calls someone else obsessed…

Okaaaaaay……..

#43 1 year ago
  44. Dragon

^Yeah yeah whatever Wilson. I wonder who got wet when your dear German friend posted pics of “Dragon246″ and scoured the net for anything regarding me.

I am not really interested in talking with banned guys on VG247 (sharing the honour with TEA and Shatner no less). Plus I have a feeling your “pal/s” may want to join in.

So yeah, whatever.
    Bye. Keep obsessing.

#44 1 year ago
  45. monkeygourmet

“I am not really interested in talking with banned guys on VG247″

“Unless I can use them in the games I like to play…” fixed it for you

#45 1 year ago
  46. Pytox

@42 who’s Lee Wilson? :p

#46 1 year ago
  47. Legendaryboss

Monkeygourmet.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Pytox

@47 ow

#48 1 year ago
  49. DSB

@9 I didn’t see anyone talking about games, let alone user accounts. Just hardware. Do you have to sell a computer to gamers for it to be profitable now?

Personally I’d find it kinda hard to be butthurt when you’ve got a company that is ahead in every market that matters, so I really just saw your comment as one of those typical kneejerk fanboy quips, is all.

And I think you’re kidding yourself if you think Intel and Nvidia didn’t bid on it. 240 million is still money.

Microsoft and Sony have every reason to let their vendors compete for the best offer, because that’s how you actually identify the best offer. Simply offering it to one would be incredibly amateurish. Intel and Nvidia likely just weren’t willing to go low enough.

#49 1 year ago
  50. Johnnymaxx

Sure, you buy a NVidia GTX Video Card to improve your Excel charts. It has nothing to do with games at all!

@Topic: Not clearly butthurt from Intel, but surely just wanting a piece of the attention that surrounds GTA V nowadays.

@most of the commenters: Screw you and all your fanboysm. I don’t care that people sell more PCs than consoles. I don’t care which one have larger user base. I don’t care which one is king of the hill. All I care is my personal opinnion and taste, and I’m happy with it. You would all be happier if you did the same. But no, you all want to not only be happy, you also want the other guy to feel miserable. You want to say “I have chose the side that is the winner! I rule you suck!”

Gosh… don’t know why I even bother… I should start hearing myself and stop reading comments section. It always makes me angry and sad for humanity.

#50 1 year ago
  51. Erthazus

Oh lol. Look, it’s Sony246 here talking crap about Nvidia and Intel that owns not just PC market. It owns EVERY MOBILE Market on the planet that has to do with gaming.

I salute to Sony and MS that will sell… maybe 150m consoles combined after 10 years and dump it after these years.

AMD is the only one that tries to survive here.

Their financial difficulties are so bad right now. It was the cheapest alternative for Sony and MS to make consoles with horrible hardware.

#51 1 year ago
  52. sebastien rivas

Paying for exclusive or worse, time exclusive never made sense, does not make sense, and will never make sense unless of course that manufacturer is unsecure at all levels.

C’mon guys we got cash, why don’t we pay 3rd party so they sell only for usfor a period of time, fuck yeah man, why don’t we, and then it will make our product (console) so much more attractive to everyone and anyone around the world.
    Weeewww look at our library, so much more than anyone else by a large 3 titles, wweeeewww groovy. For sure we will pound competitors that way, our list is shinier.

Although putting glitz never did anything for me unless the game is a can’t miss. Althoufh and finally, I never bought a console for a single game, nor for an exclusive or time exclusive.

Am I the only one?

#52 1 year ago
  53. noamlol2

makes sense

and rockstar LOVES money..

#53 1 year ago