Wed, Oct 09, 2013 | 10:51 BST
GTA 5 now holds seven Guinness World Records
Grand Theft Auto 5 is the official record holder for best-selling video game in 24 hours; highest-grossing video game in 24 hours; highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours and four more Guinness World Records.
“GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we’re thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books,” Guinness World Records editor-in-chief Craig Glenday said in a statement published on PlayerAttack.
“Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won. I’m also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”
GTA 5 now holds the following records:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
Outside the Guinness World Records, GTA 5′s performance is no less impressive. It’s the fastest-selling PSN game of all time, and it outsold GTA 4′s lifetime sales in just three weeks.
It’s a ruddy big game, too – take a look at our GTA 5 walkthrough and guide to power your way through.