Wind Waker Wii U developed in just six months

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 03:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The Wii U re-release of The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker took just six months to develop, according to series producer Eiji Aonuma.

In a 4Gamer interview translated by Siliconera, Aonuma said the GameCube port was hard work despite the relatively short development cycle.

“Development was still difficult. You had to consider the difference in hardware at the time,” he said.

“Additionally there is a technique known as toon shading, which gives the game a very animated look. At that time, the technique was established, but had not been used before by our staff, everyone had to do everything by hand.”

There were other problems; the Wii U version is in widescreen format, which meant some previously obscured characters were made visible on-screen at inappropriate times and had to be manually edited out.

“For dramatic purposes, we would have characters we didn’t want in the frame, out of sight, but on the 16:9 ratio, you could still see those characters,” the producer said.

Thanks, Cubed3.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

That totally justifies the slightly higher than normal retail price.

#1 10 months ago
  2. melonbuster1

The game is great. . The wiiu needs more like this

#2 10 months ago
  3. fengato

Mario Sunshine would be nice to have next.

#3 10 months ago
  4. Templar_Dante

I got a Wii U on the cheap… but. Its just collecting dust now. Im hoping.. we get a Zelda game that looks like that tech demo they fooled us with :(

#4 10 months ago
  5. DuckNation

First game i had for Gamecube was this. Only reason i got the Wii U was for this and the next coming up Zelda game whenever that maybe ZELDA=GOAT

#5 10 months ago
  6. DrDamn

Yep. I’ll consider buying this when it comes down to £30.

#6 10 months ago
  7. Dave Cook

@6 can’t believe the money they’re asking for mate.

#7 10 months ago
  8. fengato

@6 Problem is I want the digital version (Wii U disc drive is too damn noisy), but I doubt Nintendo will ever drop the price. :(

#8 10 months ago
  9. Ignatius_Cheese

@8 I imagine it will turn up in an eShop sale at some point. Don’t hold your breath though…

#9 10 months ago
  10. Nintenjoe82

@8 I’ve found the disc drive is only horribly noisy on Multiplatform 3rd party games from what I have seen. CoD and AC3 sound like they’ll knacker my disc drive. I have WWHD and it is pretty nice and quiet. The disc noise of returning to the Wii U Menu is louder than the playing.

#10 10 months ago