Microsoft issues Kinect marketing statement: will not target ads, “unless you choose to allow us to do so”

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 11:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox One and Kinect marketing chatter has caused a bit of a stir this week, after an Advertising Age report suggested that Microsoft was poised to share captured marketing data with third-party firms. The company has since debunked the article, and has now issued a further statement on the matter.

Over on Twitter, Microsoft’s Larry Hyrb discussed quotes that came from Yusuf Mehdi and stressed that Microsoft will not be collecting data via Kinect to “share or sell”. Check out what he said in full here.

Now, a Microsoft spokesperson has issued a fresh statement on the matter to Eurogamer which addresses the matter further.

It reads, “The comments in Ad Age attributed to Yusuf Mehdi were not in relation to Kinect. We do not have plans to target ads or content to you based on any data Kinect collects. We have a long-standing commitment to your privacy and will not target ads to you based on any data Kinect collects unless you choose to allow us to do so.

“Furthermore, we will give you a clear explanation of what is collected and how it will be used. Importantly, we do not collect your personal information to share or sell to third parties, and you are fully in control over what personal data is shared.

“We have strict policies to protect your privacy and these policies will continue to be upheld with our next generation product.”

What do you make of the above?

1. Pytox

unless you dont accept TOS which everyone does blindly …

#1 1 year ago
  2. maria.ge17

vvvvvvvvvv

#2 1 year ago
  3. maria.ge17

#3 1 year ago
  4. maria.ge17

til I saw the receipt ov $7550, I have faith that my best friend woz like truley taking home money parttime on their apple labtop.. there dads buddy haz done this 4 less than 7 months and by now cleard the loans on their place and got a great Ford. ==========>>>>>http://xurl.es/a7y2p

#4 1 year ago
  5. orakaa

“No one in Microsoft is working on such a thing”.

Yeah, right. After their (previously hidden) collaboration with PRISM, their repetitive lies and 180° on SO many things, how can those guys be trusted at all??? It’s like their policies change every given day!

#5 1 year ago
  6. RefuseBunny

If I do end up getting an Xbox One I’ll just combat this by not plugging Kinect in.
    I have no interest in any Kinect functionality for the dashboard or in any games so it’s best for me to just not use it.

Then I’ll have no concerns over Microsoft selling naked pictures of me to other companies. :P

#6 1 year ago
  7. Blue Oni

“The comments in Ad Age attributed to Yusuf Mehdi were not in relation to Kinect. We do not have plans to target ads or content to you based on any data Kinect collects. ”

Dat spin man…just wow.He is mixing,lying and spinning all at the same time.My hat’s off to you Larry!

#7 1 year ago
  8. VibraniumSpork

I like targeted ads. You seen that bit in Minority Report where Cruise is being shouted at by billboards in the mall? It’s cool as fuck.

#8 1 year ago
  9. mark_t50

Their statement makes no sense at all, on the one hand they seem to be saying ‘We will not use Kinect data to target you with adds at all’, but the very next sentence in the statement suggests ‘We will if you opt in to it’.

Which is it Microsoft ? Either you are not planning to do it at all, or you are planning to do it if people opt in (or even worse make it so people have to opt out).

I get that these companies want a slice of the advertising money, but it isn’t like they are giving us these machines for free. If they really have the confidence that most people actually like advertising, then why not put in a simple one tick option. A simple ‘Enable dashboards adverts yes/no’ would suffice. I think they know that these ads annoy thy hell out of a lot of people and that’s why they never make it so straight forward to opt out/in.

#9 1 year ago
  10. TheBlackHole

Seeing as I’m going to recieve ads one way or another, I’d much rather they were targeted and that there was a chance I might actually be interested in it.

This happens on the internet all the time based on your activity and browsing habits. I’m sure some of you haven’t even noticed.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Panthro

‘We do not have any plans to collect data…

… If you opt out.’

#11 1 year ago
  12. mongbatstar

@10 I don’t understand why you’ve just accepted this as fact.

Seeing as I’m going to recieve ads one way or another

You are if you remain to passive about it. Maybe you deserve it too.

This happened all the time, but privacy conscious users fought back with plugins and most browser vendors have now implemented “Do Not Track” to help those that “don’t even notice”.

#12 1 year ago
  13. bradk825

I don’t see what the fuss is about. They have an opt-out option. I didn’t have an opt-out option before my cable provider gave out my info (I know it was them because they misspelled my name on my account, and all the junk mail I got had the same mistake). At least MS is giving you the option to have no data collected and stating it won’t go to third parties anyway.

Your phone provider, cable provider, they sell your information without telling you and no one says anything about it.

#13 1 year ago
  14. TheBlackHole

Ad blockers often prevent legitimate sites from making money that allows people to view the site’s content for free. This site being one of them.

I want to support those services (such as VG247), so I don’t mind an innocuous ad being on screen. So, by extension, if I’m going to see an ad anyway, I’d rather it be targeted to my interests, habits or behaviour.

It’s not about remaining passive. I’m not some kind of braindead robot that can’t help but be drawn to shitty internet ads. I’ll ignore the ones I don’t care about, and I’ll click the ones I’m interested in.

I’m all for choice of what data you share/own, but if you use the services of another vendor then they have the right to use that information, providing it abides by the law.

So, in the instances where it makes sense to be shown some form of advertising, I would like it to be relevant, and I have no problem with the way that happens.

#14 1 year ago
  15. orakaa

@14 : when people read you, it seems that as YOU have no problem about this, then EVERYBODY else should feel the same way.

If people don’t want to have cookies or their information tracked/shared, it’s their right. The fact that you disagree is completely irrelevant, so stop b*tching about this like an 8 years old.

#15 1 year ago
  16. TheBlackHole

I don’t even know where to begin with posts like that. However, since I’m in the mood to feed the troll…

“when people read you”

Firstly, I don’t think you’re in any position to say how other people ready what I’ve written. Tell the world how YOU read it, sure. Generalising about other people’s opinions is pretty pointless though.

I never said everyone else should feel the same way, did I? What I said was that in some cases it’s not unreasonable, however “I’m all for choice of what data you share/own”. I guess you neglected to read that bit.

“If people don’t want to have cookies or their information tracked/shared, it’s their right”

And I said otherwise where exactly?

“stop b*tching about this like an 8 years old.”

I’m pretty sure you’re the only one bitching here, but hey ho. Keep on trolling.

#16 1 year ago
  17. sg1974

So the clarification of the original statement has been clarified?

Haaahahahaha. I’m running out of popcorn.

#17 1 year ago