GTA Online – Rockstar advises players not to overwrite old character slot with new data

Tuesday, 8th October 2013 13:57 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GTA Online players who see an empty character selection screen when logging back into the game, have been warned by Rockstar not to overwrite the old slot with a new character.

Speaking in an update on the support forums, Rockstar said not to replace the character with a new one in the empty slot, instead, back out of the selection screen into GTA 5 Story Mode and try entering GTA Online through the pause menu.

Repeat this step again if you need to or wait until Rockstar cloud servers are back up, Rockstar stated.

“If you receive the message ‘The Rockstar Cloud Servers Are Unavailable’, please return to GTAV Story Mode and follow the steps above. Please do not press “Retry” on the message and do not proceed online with saving disabled, as this may lead to overwriting your existing character.

“Do not create a new character in the empty slot where your character should be.”

Rockstar said it has been working diligently to try and find the cause for lost progress and what can be done to minimize the impact until a permanent fix is in place. It also said it has “not forgotten about the requests for restoration,” and are “in the process of determining the options for addressing the issues for those players who have been affected.”

Meanwhile, if you are still playing GTA 5 and are stuck, why not check out our GTA 5 guide with mission walkthroughs, gameplay tips & collectible locations. Surely it can help you with all sorts of things.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. KAP

Almost sounds like there blaiming the player

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

If advising someone is blaming for you, then yeah, I guess you could say that.

#2 1 year ago
  3. AmiralPatate

I can’t wait to see the same problems on the PC release. It’ll be awesome.

#3 1 year ago
  4. franko

I didn’t overwrited my character cause R* you dumbasses,how to overwrite something that is not there??? I created new character in slot2 and now i’m playing with him, but if i loose this one too, goodbye gta. After billion$ R* can’t fix what is the most important part of the game??? F**k you R*!

#4 1 year ago
  5. KAP

“If you press retry your deleting your character”

hmmm.. sounds to me “Its your own fault if you press it” 99% of players aint really gonna realise “retry” means code for “delete your whole shit” is it?

Just saying.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Cobra951

No excuse, R*. Get your shit together, or accept the rotten cabbages pelting your faces.

#6 1 year ago
  7. deathm00n

@4, 5, 6 Pathetic. Easy to criticize someone else work, even if it’s something that has never been done before, like handling the most people online at a given time in any console game ever made. No one was ready for this, working in the IT area I can say this must be a nightmare for everyone at rockstar, give them some support, they are doing a good work. It could be much worse, believe me.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Cobra951

Yep. It’s easy. That’s the difference between the spenders and the earners. When I put on my earner’s hat, life is hard. I work my ass off, but that doesn’t excuse me if I fuck up. We all have to eat humble pie occasionally. When I’m in spender mode, all I care about is that what I bought work as advertised. If it doesn’t, I complain and ridicule. The shoe is on the other foot, you see? That’s how it works.

#8 1 year ago
  9. deathm00n

@8 This just make you sound even more pathetic to me, “never do to the next person what you don’t want done to yourself” is a principle I bring with me all the times. Even if I spend money on it, I understand what the guys must be going trhough, I will not criticize them until I have real reasons, and unpredicted problems isn’t enough reason to me.

#9 1 year ago
  10. KAP

Oh ok, well I shall shut my mouth the next time I’m told to press square when I was meant to press Circle and loss all my 20+hrs of gameplay.

Only to be told 2 days after I lost my rank 18 character, well actually pressing Square wasn’t the right thing to do. You should of read the blog which tells you otherwise fella SORRY! We can’t help you mate! How about you start again with a big grin on your fuckin’ face.

#10 1 year ago
  11. deathm00n

@10 Or you should read their blog where it almost says “the game isn’t stable, play at your own risk”. It’s your fault you played 20+ hours of something that isn’t stable and then come here to complain things doesn’t work as expected.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

Bit late for a beta, ain’t it? Oh well, it’s not like it’s the most expensive game in his… Heywaitaminute! :P

#12 1 year ago
  13. Legendaryboss

Oh snap!

#13 1 year ago
  14. Erthazus

That’s it. I’m not playing Online.

I think the release date was too soon in my opinion.

#14 1 year ago
  15. KAP

Where did it say that on the game box bud?

Do you get the point I’m trying to make? You think because your on a gaming site commenting, every other gamer is doing the exact same…… hate to break it to you but………. no!

#15 1 year ago
  16. deathm00n

@15 I get your point. But there has been a lot of information coming from Rockstar about the issues. What is the steps a consumer needs to perform when he encounters a problem? First thing is to contact support. If you open the support page of Rockstar the first thing you will see is the GTA Online Status Update.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Lloytron

Selecting “proceed with saving disabled” can overwrite your character? Ummm….

#17 1 year ago