Elite: Dangerous developer video disects battle shown in latest trailer

Saturday, 5th October 2013 19:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Elite: Dangerous has a new developer video available in which David Braben goes over the battle between two spaceships that was shown in the last video. Braben said the video was not “pre-rendered” and was created via the game’s engine. He said the ships flew on pre-set paths in order to allow the art team to make sure everything looked right through various paths. This also kept the artists from having to manually test each element. Have a look below. Elite: Dangerous launched sometime in 2014. Thanks, Massively.

1. TheWulf

Huh. That’s… actually looking splendid.

The ships are very aesthetically pleasing (including the giant warships), and it seems like their artists are actually intent on creating spaceships rather than retrofitted fighter planes in space. And that’s very much my preference. Since that’s the choice they’ve made — there are no joysticks. Hooray!!

And those holographic displays are lovely. That’s definitely how I want my HUD to look like, rather than having that data presented messily on clunky-looking monitors. That just feels cheap to me, so I’m glad the Elite guys went with that choice.

I was worried this was going to go in the same direction as Star Citizen, because that seems to be what’s in demand these days. Star Citizen just didn’t sit well with me — it felt archaic, as it was obsessed with contemporary fighter planes in space. The whole point of sci-fi is that it isn’t contemporary, really, and that’s why I like it.

I’m glad to see Frontiers isn’t going down that route, so I feel compelled to throw some money at them. I like seeing sci-fi that feels like it’s actually changed a little bit since Star Wars in the ’70s. Joysticks and fighter planes in space was fine forty years ago, but now I feel sci-fi needs to be just a little more interesting.

So… yeah. This is looking very, very good.

#1 12 months ago
  2. sebastien rivas

Also to David, you need cliche, these are connotations that are needed even though nothing sink in space, no flame exist in space and laser beams do no show in empty vacuum space, players would be disoriented without those cliche so really no biggy there. Although nothing prevents you from diversifying for example the way, look, and feel of flames in space, after all what burns exactly may lead to a different HUE rather than traditional yellow/orange flames ;)

#2 12 months ago
  3. nollie4545

Sold!

Gimme it already.

Also, total realism in this kind of game would be pretty lame. No laser beams? No sounds of explosions? Ok, that would just be weird.

#3 12 months ago
  4. saxonite

This is looking really good. I like the way they are open about what they added into the video and isn’t actually gameplay. There isn’t much added, but so many game trailers are doctored and it’s not until you get the game that you realise that feature/effect isn’t really there.
    Can’t wait for this. Is there a estimated release date yet?

#4 12 months ago
  5. Pecisk

@saxonite Estimated release date is still 2014 March, however they will soon release updated schedule. It could go month there or here, but so far they have said they follow their plan, if no big surprises, March is indeed right month.

#5 12 months ago