DualShock 4 will work with Windows PC at launch, according to Sony’s Yoshida

Saturday, 5th October 2013 22:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DualShock 4 will work with Windows PC at launch, according to Sony Worldwide Studios president Shuhei Yoshida.

Speaking on Twitter, Yoshida said the PS4 controller will work with “basic functions” and that “the analog sticks and buttons will work just fine.”

As Joystiq points out, it’s unknown at this time whether Windows will recognize the controller as some non-Microsoft controllers feature the XInput API, so the OS recognizes them as an Xbox controller.

DualShock 3 lacks Xinput, and Yoshida didn’t elaborate as to whether DualShock 4 supported it, but to “wait for field report after the launch.”

PlayStation 4 launches November 15 in North America and November 29 in Europe.

1. DGOJG

Sony should just release a statement saying “Unless we say otherwise the answer is; it probably can do that yes”.

#1 12 months ago
  2. monkeygourmet

Great! That’s just lovely. Would prefer the X1 pad, but this is nice to know! :) I expect lots of uses for the trackpad in games like minecraft, can’t wait to see what modders do with this pad and Kinect 2 combined!

Also irony this pad works at launch and MS’s doesn’t lol!

#2 12 months ago
  3. Hcw87

So it will work with ”basic functions”, but he’s not sure if Microsoft will recognize it when you plug it in? So it works, or it doesn’t work? This guy needs to clarify this more.

#3 12 months ago
  4. TheWulf

That’s a … bizarre choice. Now if only they’d stop locking their games down into exclusivity deals, I could actually come to really like them. Of course, I know that’s unlikely because they want to compete with Microsoft, but still.

This is very surprising, though. Very, very much so.

#4 12 months ago
  5. psxman

Looks like I have a controller for pcsx2. My PS2 game library isn’t going anywhere in a hurry :D

#5 12 months ago
  6. Erthazus

Well it has USB. Of course it will work.

Everything that has USB can work on the PC.

dualshock 3 worked so why this can’t?

#6 12 months ago
  7. domnage

Smart.

#7 12 months ago
  8. Luciferous

@6 I think what Yoshida means is that it’ll work without dicking around like we had to do with the DS3.

#8 12 months ago
  9. Hybridpsycho

Finally I can stop using this shitty XBOX controller for when I wanna use a controller on my PC (cba to fix PS3 controller on Windows 8, big hassle).

#9 12 months ago
  10. monkeygourmet

Do you have tiny feminine hands?

#10 12 months ago
  11. Hybridpsycho

@10 On the contrary, I have very large hands :/ I’m about 6.6″ tall and pretty large, I still prefer the Playstation controller tho. Alot of people think I’m weird, cause people with larger hands seem to favor the XBOX controller.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Sylrissa

Yeah I hear that often, people with larger hands prefering the 360, while people such as myself with small hands like the PS controller, so there is some truth to it. Just not everyone.

#12 12 months ago
  13. monkeygourmet

#13 12 months ago
  14. Francis O

Nice, got a controller for my Steambox next year….well, I hope it works

#14 12 months ago
  15. pcbros

So now Steam Machines users will have access to the Owlpad and the DualShock 4 8)

#15 12 months ago
  16. ninjanutta

bla bla bla….I love ps controller for most games but xbox for fps on pc when i cant be bothered with key and mouse….there is no better choice of the two really as ps3 control can be emulated perfectly on windows pc so its just preference really.Just another childish argument on the forum for the kids to bitch about.Its really boring to read.

#16 12 months ago
  17. pcbros

DS3 D-Pad > XB360 D-Pad… if DS4 D-Pad > XB1 D-Pad, then I might look into buying one.

It’s nice to have options…

#17 12 months ago
  18. ojinnvoltz

Great news. I got my hands on a PS4 controller at PAX, feels fantastic. Can’t wait to use it on my PC.

#18 12 months ago
  19. Playmaker

@11 yeah you’re weird

MS is looking dumb here. How is Sonys DS4 working on windows and xB1 controller not??? I’m getting XB1 but MS is really screwing this up badly.

#19 12 months ago
  20. Dendroball

@19 Surely because MS want to make a good job in delivering a PC driver able to exploit the rumble triggers in as much games as possible, while Sony, based on this statement, is doing the minimum ie. delivering basic functions (which certainly excludes the trackpad otherwise they would have specifically claimed it).

#20 12 months ago
  21. archaven

Holy cow!. Smart move. Now i have an option to buy PS4 controller over XB on my PC!

#21 12 months ago
  22. livewired500

If it is plug and play and I won’t have to use MotionJoy, this is great. Linux support will hopefully be next.

Then Sony can start making Steam Machines and sell them as part of their home theatre systems.

#22 12 months ago
  23. GrimRita

@ £54.99 – no thanks

#23 12 months ago
  24. Llewelyn_MT

Ditto. It’s pretty damn expensive. My £20 Logitech pad works just fine, thank you. It’s a nice touch though.

#24 12 months ago
  25. Talkar

Did they really need to say this? I mean, if it has USB it will work with a PC. Doesn’t matter if it has drivers, it only takes ½-1 day to write some decent drivers yourself. Especially if you don’t care about the touchpad, then it is most likely only a matter of hours.

#25 12 months ago
  26. alex89

dear sony…. first think sorry for eventual mistake my english is not very good….. sony you are shit and dont respect your client…. i preorder ps4 and I PAY FOR 5MONTH AGO. last week my local retailer say sony cut Romania my country from the list of country to deliver ps4 in 29 november and now i need to wait next year in first 3 month of 2014… you are crap my country is in Europe and in European Union…. where is my country in this list http://gamaganda.net/playstation-4-nu-va-fi-disponibil-oficial-in-romania-in-2013/ ….. you put el salvador panama chille but my country no in this list … Repet last week say for my retailer but alredy take my money…. you not deserve my money…. tomorow i cancel my pre-order for this think…. in my country is very angry for this … people is angry is not corect alredy pay for 5 month and you dont respect my country…. belive me for this you lose in my country because people switch in the boat of microsoft…. please vg247 transmit this to sony…. i am very angry now

#26 12 months ago
  27. alex89

all my country know the release is 29 november 2013…. all retailer take pre order with this date 5 month ago i pay for ps4….. retailer expect to come in 29 november take pre order and money and last week sony cut my country from the list but alredy take the money 5 month ago….. the retailer as furios because people want money back .. gamer is angry all people is angry…… you dont have respect Sony you are shit

#27 12 months ago
  28. alex89

ironical retailer say games for ps4 is delivred in 29 november but console not…. alredy pre order game for ps4 ac4 watch dog killzone and bf4….. i pay for games come in 29 november but where i play sony if you dont deliver console? logical i dont pick up the games because i dont want to pay and after that to wait until 2014. retailer try to have console to “unoficial” source ….. maybe try to buy console from another country …. because people want money back…. and retailer alredy pay sony for the console …. is maddnes situation here

#28 12 months ago
  29. ksaadeh

alex89,

What the heck does Sony have to do with this ripoff site? Buy the PS4 from a trust-able site and not a ripoff one.

#29 12 months ago
  30. alex89

bro belive my all retailer in my country is block because sony dont want cut my country from the country to deliver ps4 this year…. my retailer is huge same is with GAME in UK…. is respectable retailer ….. sony is shit because take money from the ALl Retailer from my country and now block until 2014 deliver in my country untill 2014……all retailer is block because sony is shit

#30 12 months ago
  31. GwynbleiddiuM

I enjoyed pairing my DS3 controller on my PC played a lot of fifa 12 and 13, plus MK, and Dark Souls ofc. So I’d probably pick one up for my PC.

#31 12 months ago
  32. pcbros

If this controller doesn’t offer touchpad support for PC, then I’ll probably pass.

@31 – Does the DS3 get automatically detected or do you need drivers/software to make it work?

#32 12 months ago
  33. noamlol2

and?

#33 12 months ago
  34. Dirk

You need to run an app, MotionJoy, that sets up a driver and from then on it’s plug and play.

#34 12 months ago
  35. GwynbleiddiuM

@32 No, you need middleware to make the most out of it: http://www.motioninjoy.com/

With this you can even have SIXAXIS not that it’s useful on PC, you caneven make windows recognize it as a X360 controller which most games have presets for.

#35 12 months ago
  36. Exsecratus

What’s the point on spending 60 bucks for just “basic” functions? The freaking touchpad will be as good as nothing, since it’s not native to pc games…

#36 12 months ago
  37. GwynbleiddiuM

@36 Well in a house like mine one controller isn’t enough we tend to buy a couple more so me and my brothers can play stuff on our consoles in front of he big screen together. Besides in most games basic functions are all you need.

#37 12 months ago
  38. MrWaffles

You guys aren’t seeing the big picture. This announcement is a hint that gaikai will sooner than later be windows-compatible.

Now, sony knows they can’t sell consoles to this mobile gen like they used to. But they can sell a subscription to gaikai and a $60 controller.

Those who hate subs can just pay full for a ps4, so it will keep their bottom line intact.

Meanwhile, microsoft dropped the ball with GFW and haven’t announced anything remotely as exciting.

#38 12 months ago
  39. CyberMarco

For everyone interested in using the DS3 on PC, download BetterDS3.

It’s really great, you can connect your controller via USB or Bluetooth and you can make it act like an XB360 controller too.

Check it out.

#39 12 months ago
  40. Telepathic.Geometry

What I wanna know is, will it work on a PS3?

#40 12 months ago