Microsoft’s Phil Spencer has come to terms with “Xbone” nickname

Friday, 4th October 2013 02:19 GMT By Phil Owen

As soon as the Xbox One was announced in May, Twitter exploded with a nickname for it: Xbone. It has stuck in the months since, but Major Nelson didn’t find it to be particularly amusing and wanted it to stop. Phil Spencer, though, realizes “Xbone” will likely stick around, and so he’s just gonna roll with it.

“At first, I guess the thing that bugged me the most is I didn’t see it,” Spencer told GameSpot. “I’d been looking at the name for Xbox One for months, and I wasn’t clever enough to merge them and come up with Xbone.

“I think it’s going to stick. I think we can say we don’t like it as much as we want, but it’s a clever use of the name. Probably not the most flattering name, but I think it’s going to be there.”

1. 2-D

Can’t help but feel that this in response to one of the more recent episodes of the Giant Bombcast where they made fun of MS employees for getting angry at the term “Xbone”.

#1 12 months ago
  2. Unknown_Gamer

Xbone-errr ?

#2 12 months ago
  3. pcbros

“I think it’s going to stick… it’s a clever use of the name”

Hmmm… ok.

Why not just ignore the fact they are mocking the name? Why bring anymore attention to it?

A simple, “It doesn’t bother us”, would have been enough.

#3 12 months ago
  4. noamlol2

how about the unwanted box?

#4 12 months ago
  5. DSB

@3 It’s already out there, it’s not like they can bring anymore attention to it.

What he should’ve done is not half-ass it. Just say “I think we’ll own it!”. Be the bigger man.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will only hurt Major Nelson

#5 12 months ago
  6. pcbros

@5 – I just think he rambled too much about it.

#6 12 months ago
  7. redwood

not all publicity is good publicity Mr. spencer sir.
    Seems like Microsoft is really desperate here :\ what’s next?
    “we know that you make fun of ballmer too.. that’s why he is leaving”

#7 12 months ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB I don’t know how you did it but it seems they are embracing your idea of taking the nickname and run with it. :D

#8 12 months ago
  9. derpachu

People make so much of a big deal ^^^who cares. They just said it’s going to stick there.

#9 12 months ago
  10. redwood

play “Harder”.. that will be the next xb1 tagline.

#10 12 months ago
  11. Xbone

You can blame the PR department for it. Total failure. And yes… it will stick.

#11 12 months ago
  12. Dave Cook

@11 PR department? They didn’t name the console.

#12 12 months ago
  13. mistermogul

I literally can’t believe they didn’t think of Xbone. It’s one of the first things that came to my head when they announced it and I’m sure to many others too…

I really like Major Nelson but him calling it disrespectful is ridiculous.

#13 12 months ago
  14. Xbone

@12 Its their job to avoid such pr disaster. They should have think about it.

#14 12 months ago
  15. Dave Cook

@14 can only work with what they’re given, plus hindsight is helpful AFTER disasters isn’t it?

#15 12 months ago
  16. Dunno

“I wasn’t clever enough to merge them and come up with Xbone”

hahahaha Americans!

#16 12 months ago
  17. bradk825

“You’ve just been Xboned” would make a great catchphrase.

#17 12 months ago
  18. AmiralPatate

Well, Xbox One is probably the most ridiculous name for a console (obviously beside Wii U), considering it’s the third one.

#18 12 months ago
  19. monkeygourmet

I wonder if any game dev will manage to slip a:

Achievement Unlocked : ‘XBONE’ past the MS certification team?

#19 12 months ago
  20. bradk825

@18 It is kind of a funny choice.

Xbox
    Xbox 360
    Xbox One? Shouldn’t that me 2 Xboxes ago?

Marketing team, you had ONE job!

#20 12 months ago
  21. YoungZer0

@14: Someone doesn’t know Jackshit about PR.

#21 12 months ago
  22. fearmonkey

I love the Xbone name, It will always be Xbone to me. I think Xbox One was a stupid name. I almost wish they just called it Xbox like Apple now does with the Ipad.

#22 12 months ago
  23. Ellis

they should just start calling it “X1″ just ignore the name, in a year or so it will just be called “xbox” like it is now

#23 12 months ago
  24. DSB

@8 Yeah, I guess you’re right. I’m pretty hard on those guys. They really should be doing better than they are.

If I was prepping that guy I’d make sure he went 100% positive/pro-active. Instead of complaining, or guarding himself by adding the “.. as much as we’d like” it should be “This is what people are calling it, and that’s okay, because a badass console is still a badass console no matter what you call it!”

Y’know? Show a little initiative, take charge.

#24 12 months ago
  25. freedoms_stain

@23, everyone I know either calls it “three-sixty” or “shit-box”. One guy occasionally “Sex-box”, I don’t ask for elaboration on that one.

#25 12 months ago